What TV shows are you watching?

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
biro said:
Ebor said:
The Hollow Crown made up of Richard II, Henry IV Pt. 1, Henry IV, Pt. 2 and Henry V which has a rather splendid cast and the man playing Falstaff, Simon Russell Beale, is exceedingly good. Ben Wishaw is Richard, Rory Kinnear is the younger Henry Bolinbroke and Patrick Stewart is John of Gaunt in the first program.  Jeremy Irons is King Henry IV on the two middle plays and Tom Hiddleston is Prince Hal/Henry V.  
What network is this on?  :) Sounds awesome.
It is awesome. It is also all on YouTube. ;)

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Arachne said:
biro said:
Ebor said:
The Hollow Crown made up of Richard II, Henry IV Pt. 1, Henry IV, Pt. 2 and Henry V which has a rather splendid cast and the man playing Falstaff, Simon Russell Beale, is exceedingly good. Ben Wishaw is Richard, Rory Kinnear is the younger Henry Bolinbroke and Patrick Stewart is John of Gaunt in the first program.  Jeremy Irons is King Henry IV on the two middle plays and Tom Hiddleston is Prince Hal/Henry V.  
Thanks for that, I didn't know it was on Youtube.  I caught Henry V the other night on television and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I was disappointed when I realised I started at the end rather than the beginning.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
biro said:
Ebor said:
What network is this on?  :) Sounds awesome.
Yes.  We also have a "Roku" box attached to the TV which sends things like Netflix directly there. One of the free channels is PBS and The Hollow Crown is for the next few weeks there, too.

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
I caught Henry V the other night on television and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I was disappointed when I realised I started at the end rather than the beginning.
Henry V naturally gets more press because it's the only part of the series that has been done as an independent movie. Not fond of either Olivier's or Branagh's versions, but this one felt just right. Probably because it was in context.

Also, last night I caught By Any Means, and I'm intrigued enough to look up previous episodes. It may seem derivative as an idea, but it was the very Britishness of it that particularly appealed to me.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown

Good stuff!
I like him a lot. The new show is basically the same as No Reservations but with better cinematography. Has anyone noticed that the advertisements for the show keep using a scene from Gergeti monastery in Georgia? I am hoping he is actually going to do a Georgia episode.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Arachne said:
biro said:
Ebor said:
Thanks for that, I didn't know it was on Youtube.  I caught Henry V the other night on television and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I was disappointed when I realised I started at the end rather than the beginning.
If you can, I recommend that you watch the whole series in order.  The contrast between Richard II in the beginning through to Henry IV and the development and change in Prince Hal who then becomes King Henry V is brilliantly done. 

Seeing them all in the span of three weeks or so really helped one to understand the connections as well as how many lines and phrases are part of English language: "Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown"  "Once more into the breach" "This scepter'd isle" "at the turn of the tide" "Band of brothers" and many more.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Walking Dead season premiere... Zombie virus has gone airborne............ That's not good

Oh and there was a scene where the Zombie's are falling through a roof and on top of the good guys. it was sort of  "raining Zombies"...Very well done. They must be earning money on the series because the production values for that scene was very high. Not your usual schlock.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
One odd coincidence/connection between The Hollow Crown and a program that I had mentioned on this thread earlier Pie in the Sky the British program about a police detective who also cooks and has a restaurant:  Richard Griffiths who played Henry Crabbe the detective is in Henry V as the Duke of Burgundy, one of his last roles.  Meanwhile in the part of the Archbishop of Canterbury is Malcolm Sinclair who was Henry Crabbe's conniving boss ACC Fisher (he has gravitas and dignity in Shakespeare that Fisher lacks).

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Hahaha, people think that ASOIAF isn't good writing.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Roseanne

Still funny, clever and witty. If I could get me a woman half the smart as Roseanne, but with a different body I'd be set for life.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Iconodule said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown

Good stuff!
I like him a lot. The new show is basically the same as No Reservations but with better cinematography. Has anyone noticed that the advertisements for the show keep using a scene from Gergeti monastery in Georgia? I am hoping he is actually going to do a Georgia episode.
No, I didn't notice. Very cool!

I loved the recent episode on Israel. Talk about, "I laughed and I cried."

Selam