• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

What TV shows are you watching?

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Iconodule: You like Invader Zim right? Do you like Samurai Jack?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
I just got into Person of Interest (via Netflix) as well; watched the season 1 finale last night. Lots of wooden acting from the lead, crazy plots, silly characterizations, and dumb premises, but that's the price of admission. And dammit if, by the end of the season, they didn't have me really caring about that whole pre-show drama/relationship Reese had with that woman, along with the pre-show life of Finch as well.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Asteriktos said:
Mor Ephrem said:
I guess it's just you and me.  I was flipping channels and saw a cow getting bisected.  That was enough to get me hooked.  :)
I saw a person get bisected in a sci-fi-horror-movie once. It was a crappy movie to the 11th degree, but that single scene/special effect of the person getting split almost made it worth watching.  :police:

EDIT--to add, I guess getting cut in half isn't completely unique, but this was very clean and quick, it was some tentacle or lashing out or whatever, and at first the person didn't even know they were cut in half, and then... slowly... they realized... oh crap... and then plop, they fell apart.
I was recently surfing youtube and stumbled upon a vid of this scene. Not as cool as I remember. These things are almost never as cool as I remember.  :police:

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Asteriktos said:
I just got into Person of Interest (via Netflix) as well...
As a follow-up, the whole "charismatic [jerk]hole" thing they do with John Reese is seriously starting to rub me raw as a pancake. At least when writers were doing that sort of thing with Gregory House it was a central part of his character. Reese just treats people like crap and glibly/sarcastically dismisses them while they put their careers, lives, and the lives of others on the line.

EDIT--to remove minor spoilers

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
nothing said:
I'm a big fan of Invader Zim. I enjoyed Samurai Jack but I thought it was mostly style over substance. Great visuals, none of the wit or great writing that Zim had.

Eruvande

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
Worcestershire
Just got around to watching Rosewood. Lighthearted fluff very much in the vein of my beloved Castle. Marvellous and untaxing.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Eruvande said:
Just got around to watching Rosewood. Lighthearted fluff very much in the vein of my beloved Castle. Marvellous and untaxing.
My mom is obsessed with Castle, we do little Castle marathons every time I go home to visit

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
The Last Kingdom. It's really good.

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Wanderer, but in All the East
biro said:
Ugh, I really really wanted to like it. Alas, I couldn't even finish the series. I don't think I'm one of those overly persnickety victim-complex people who sees anti-Xtian conspiracies in everything, but I found it to be more of Bernard Cornwell's pagan leg-humping stuff. And people who have a go at Alfred the Great, particularly based on their sad, baseless speculations, deserve some harsh comeuppance.

But aside from that, I thought it was entertaining and can see why people enjoyed it.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
House of Cards

Consider this spoilery

Didn't mind the slow pacing early on, nor the dumb ways people acted sometimes (plot needs to move along, guess this character has to become an idiot for an episode or two...)  Now a little over halfway through the 4th season and the grind of it all, along with (imo) less interesting stories, is starting to get to me. But in general I'm still hooked. Also, for the 2nd time in a couple years I had a 'mouth wide open' surprised moment, with what happened to Zoe. Oh, and I wanted to reach through the TV screen and kill Doug for what happened to Rachel; honestly, I just want to kill him dead even now.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
biro said:
I watched the whole thing and I don't know why. It wasn't what I was hoping. 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Luke Cage. H-O-O-K-E-D.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Arachne said:
Luke Cage. H-O-O-K-E-D.
I'm after the 7th episode. He is the most likeable character among those 3 and for me the show is being on par with the first season of Daredevil.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
I like it too. Good music. Gritty like the other two series but with a lot more style and a lot of love for the 70's.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Mr. Robot

Only saw the 2nd season and not the 1st. I enjoyed it, though tbh I was expecting more after all the praise being heaped on the show.

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
UOCC
I was excited about Designated Survivor, but the show has fallen flat; predictable story, and heavy pushing of politically-correct messages about vaunted minorities (Muslims, etc.). The Exorcist series is alright, but nothing like its original source material. I'm looking forward to the return of The Walking Dead, Homeland, and The Americans.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Watched the first few episodes of Designated Survivor... still sort of one the fence about it. I don't dislike it, but it might end up being one that I just stop watching from lack of interest. One thing it has done is make me think more highly of House of Cards.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Kierkegaardian absurdity
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
None really, don't have cable, can't watch baseball until the World Series because of that and probably won't watch if the Cubs don't make it. Can't watch pro bowling or hockey really either. The Chicago Bears are the best comedy series on TV, but being in North Carolina I usually can't watch them either! get stuck with the Carolina Panthers instead...they seem to be doing pretty bad, that might be fun. But, most stuff on TV is either leftist propaganda or just plain immoral.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Kierkegaardian absurdity
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
Iconodule said:
nothing said:
I'm a big fan of Invader Zim. I enjoyed Samurai Jack but I thought it was mostly style over substance. Great visuals, none of the wit or great writing that Zim had.
I remember Samurai Jack.  Hard to have wit or great dialogue writing when about 4 words were said in 3 episodes (or so it seemed)  ;)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
biro said:
+1 I need to get back to that one.

Eruvande

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
Worcestershire
Ainnir said:
biro said:
+1 I need to get back to that one.
I've never quite got into it. I do enjoy Murdoch Mysteries/The Artful Detective as a period procedural, though the shoehorning in of modern mores is quite tiresome.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
"Cops," augmented by flipping back and forth to the Tampa Bay Lightning game.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Class. Laughs and scares galore!

Eruvande

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
Worcestershire
I'm tempted, but I'm not sure I've got the stomach for another Who spinoff. Torchwood was just dull by the end.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
Rick Steves Travels to Europe. I think that's what the show is called.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Tried watching West Wing but gave up on it after a couple episodes. Now watching 24 for the first time, which has been fairly entertaining...

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
Cops.

In a little while, will switch to the football game.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Has anyone seen that 60's Russian War & Peace?  It's supposed to be one of the greatest achievments on film.  I'm debating about watching it in a few weeks.  Should I break the sacred rules and watch it dubbed?  Something tells me that would be very taxing to read all those subtitles.

I own the BBC one with Anthony Hopkins, which I like very much, if that means anything.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
William T said:
Has anyone seen that 60's Russian War & Peace?  It's supposed to be one of the greatest achievments on film.  I'm debating about watching it in a few weeks.  Should I break the sacred rules and watch it dubbed?  Something tells me that would be very taxing to read all those subtitles.

I own the BBC one with Anthony Hopkins, which I like very much, if that means anything.
Dude, 7 hours. Feel free.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Asteriktos said:
Now watching 24 for the first time, which has been fairly entertaining...
Now a few episodes into season 3, and the Jack Bauer character is starting to get tedious. The most interesting thing at this point is thinking about how I'd react if the motives and actions of various characters (both heroes and villains) were swapped. Was good seeing Penny Johnson (Kassidy Yates in DS9) again though.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
There is only one show on the tele.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
vamrat said:
What I don't really get is why they didn't blow him away when he showed up at the gate, and then went strolling through town? Like I know they're semi-scared and shell-shocked and all, but not one person decided to try and cut the head off the snake? I know the guns were (mostly) under lock and key, but it's not like someone who wanted to run and grab one would be stopped by the lady keeping tabs on them (or just shot by someone who had one because they were on lookout/wall duty). It would have made more sense to me if Neegs had sent in an advance team to round them all up, which wouldn't be a guarantee that they'd given them all over, but still seems more sensible to me. I think. So... ?

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
Asteriktos said:
vamrat said:
What I don't really get is why they didn't blow him away when he showed up at the gate, and then went strolling through town? Like I know they're semi-scared and shell-shocked and all, but not one person decided to try and cut the head off the snake? I know the guns were (mostly) under lock and key, but it's not like someone who wanted to run and grab one would be stopped by the lady keeping tabs on them (or just shot by someone who had one because they were on lookout/wall duty). It would have made more sense to me if Neegs had sent in an advance team to round them all up, which wouldn't be a guarantee that they'd given them all over, but still seems more sensible to me. I think. So... ?
I think he made his point about organization and ruthlessness of the Saviors in the round up.  He also conspicuously pointed that he had a right hand man (who was absent in the gun-grab).  The reprisal would have been an atrocity, even if the Saviors died out thereafter.