• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

What videos are you watching?

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
The baby bats of the '80s and '90s are the elder goths of today, and we have the responsibility to treat the new kids on the scene like we weren't.
I think I was more goth-adjacent/wannabe. One of many iterations of young Ainnir. 🙃

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
I think I was more goth-adjacent/wannabe. One of many iterations of young Ainnir. 🙃
I never managed the full goth getup as a teenager (there was no money for clothes and no time or logistics leeway for clubbing), so I immersed myself in the books, movies and music (the latter, a lot more once the internet was a thing). As an adult, I've been metalgothing over four decades :cool: People like Angela make me really nostalgic.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
I saw a timelapse of this project on FB, so of course I had to rush to the channel itself to watch the less-sped-up version.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction

Christos3

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
Her voice (Ellie Roswell) is incredible. One of the top female vocalists in modern music. She fits in nicely with the likes of: Kate Bush, Sinead O'Conner, Annie Lennox, Deborah Harry (Blondie), Pink, Adele, Kim Wilde, Allison Monyet, Fiona Apple, Enya...

Christos3

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
We the Kingdom's new single "Miracle Power."

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I’m going to have to save that for some garden work. 😵

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
Hmm, odd presentation; I also listened to the second part so this comment applies to both. It was something I would expect from a convert (or convert-centric) presentation, albeit much more polished theologically (it was maybe 70–80% correct—which makes the other 20–30% all the more dangerous). And it had serious issues, particularly after the first hour or so. Everything from the deprecation of certain modes of thinking (logic, law, etc) to the elevation of secondary (and problematic) traditions as examples of real phronema (like 1 liturgy served everywhere, 1 "monasticism", etc) to improper charismatic tendencies *in opposition to* ordained clergy (starting at 38:00 in the 2nd video: "a phronema that is rule-based...we have to try to avoid that...[do it] however the spirit moves you!") to the misuse of confession for getting a presbyter's *opinion* instead of a blessed sacrament. And, no, phronema does not necessarily come with more attendance in the temple: I know plenty of people who fall into guruism and all sorts of other grave errors that bring them *further* from orthodox teaching than before they were Eastern Orthodox! Overall, the series is heavily about the new (falsely-called) "medicinal" and "pastoral" language—which is *not* orthodox Christianity, as it's presented—and if this sounds like more than a (craftily-done and hand-wavy) second-hand retelling of Eastern Orthodoxy to any person, then I would be concerned for that person if they believed they were past the "convert stage" (which, granted, can last years).

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
Hmm, odd presentation; I also listened to the second part so this comment applies to both. It was something I would expect from a convert (or convert-centric) presentation, albeit much more polished theologically (it was maybe 70–80% correct—which makes the other 20–30% all the more dangerous). And it had serious issues, particularly after the first hour or so. Everything from the deprecation of certain modes of thinking (logic, law, etc) to the elevation of secondary (and problematic) traditions as examples of real phronema (like 1 liturgy served everywhere, 1 "monasticism", etc) to improper charismatic tendencies *in opposition to* ordained clergy (starting at 38:00 in the 2nd video: "a phronema that is rule-based...we have to try to avoid that...[do it] however the spirit moves you!") to the misuse of confession for getting a presbyter's *opinion* instead of a blessed sacrament. And, no, phronema does not necessarily come with more attendance in the temple: I know plenty of people who fall into guruism and all sorts of other grave errors that bring them *further* from orthodox teaching than before they were Eastern Orthodox! Overall, the series is heavily about the new (falsely-called) "medicinal" and "pastoral" language—which is *not* orthodox Christianity, as it's presented—and if this sounds like more than a (craftily-done and hand-wavy) second-hand retelling of Eastern Orthodoxy to any person, then I would be concerned for that person if they believed they were past the "convert stage" (which, granted, can last years).
Wow. I think we might have watched different videos. But I haven't seen the 2nd part yet. I won't get into a debate about it but I will just say that the only "deprecation of....logic, law, etc." that I noticed were in relation to their over-usage in Western theology, as in the "legalism" for which the Roman church is so notorious. I seriously doubt that she was deprecating logic, law, etc., per se. She is, after all, not only a professor of theology, but also a practicing lawyer, or so I understand.

I was, to be honest, rather impressed by the first video and am looking forward to viewing the second. But then, I'm an under-educated plebe :).

Christos3

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
There are six videos in the series. So far...wonderful.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
No links, because it's a closed event, but I'm watching the interviews featured in the Go To The Page event, about journaling as a tool for creativity and self-development. Not sure I'm going to watch everything, but Jacob Nordby and Mark Matousek were awesome.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I totally want to freak out people from the future. 😁

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
Interesting video about monasticism in Constantinople, the role of prostitution in an EO society, and (primarily) how to make honey fritters (with various oil day options):

Whitebeard

sinner
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Serbian Orthodox Diocese of W. America

And when the lamb opened the
first seal,
I saw the first Horse.
The Horseman held a bow
Now when the lamb opened the
second seal,
I saw the second Horse
The Horseman held his sword

The leading horse is white
the second horse is red
the third one is a black,
the last one is a green

the second horse is red
the last one is a green
And when the lamb opened the
third seal,
I saw the third Horse.
The Horseman had a balance
Now when the lamb opened the fourth seal,
I saw the fourth Horse.
The Horseman was the Pest

the second horse is red
the last one is a green

the second horse is red
the last one is a green

the second horse is red
the last one is a green

Whitebeard

sinner
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction

The first bowl on the earth
the second bowl on the sea
the third bowl on the rivers
the fourth bowl on the sun
the fifth bowl on the Beast
the sixth bowl on the stars
the seventh bowl on the air

And the earth turned grey
the sea turned black
the rivers turned red
the sun turned cold
the Beast turned pale
the stars turned fast
the air turned to poison

Whitebeard

sinner
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
I posted the above in the wrong forum. Forgive me.

No edit feature?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
I posted the above in the wrong forum. Forgive me.

No edit feature?
The edit feature deactivates after a few minutes, to avoid dirty deletes.