• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What would prevent someome from becoming a monk?

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Is there anything immediate that would disqualify someone from becoming a monk?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Heavy debts? I heard that one somewhere, but I don't have a source. I think it's part of the need to be cut off from the world.

I also wonder if they'd take someone relatively young, but who's got a lot of medications like me (not that I want to become a monk, I really don't, but it's always good to have options).

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
RobS said:
Trying to become a monk immediately and unqualifiedly
Yeah, that's true. Fr. Schmemman had his famous "wait at least ten years" advise.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Luke said:
marriage?
Depends on if your wife is willing to let you leave, I think. In the past it wasn't unheard of for couples to split and go to separate monasteries. I don't know how common that is nowadays (nor if that's considered a divorce in the eyes of the Church, ie. if a spouse who doesn't choose the monastery is free to remarry, etc).

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Volnutt said:
Luke said:
marriage?
Depends on if your wife is willing to let you leave, I think. In the past it wasn't unheard of for couples to split and go to separate monasteries. I don't know how common that is nowadays (nor if that's considered a divorce in the eyes of the Church, ie. if a spouse who doesn't choose the monastery is free to remarry, etc).
Such is the case of Archbishop Chrysostom of Brazil, who had two children before monkhood, and no, it's not technically divorce.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Volnutt said:
Luke said:
marriage?
Such is the case of Archbishop Chrysostom of Brazil, who had two children before monkhood, and no, it's not technically divorce.
Did his wife at least want to become a nun? If not, I feel bad for her.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Yeah.  our weekly bulletin has stories about the commemorated saints of the day.  Some stories include married saints becoming monks, but I have not heard of that in current times. /shrug.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Luke said:
Yeah.  our weekly bulletin has stories about the commemorated saints of the day.  Some stories include married saints becoming monks, but I have not heard of that in current times. /shrug.
I have heard if a few so it still happens.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I have trouble reconciling the Lord's view of marriage with married couples going off and becoming monks.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Luke said:
I have trouble reconciling the Lord's view of marriage with married couples going off and becoming monks.
If both are willing, where's the problem?  ...especially, if they are beyond childbearing age... they are not shirking the "go forth and multiply" commandment.

The only "hindrance" I know...is anything that would add a burden on the monastic community.  That may be a debt that needs to be paid, or even an illness, where instead of "serving", the monk/nun is the one who needs to be served and looked after.

If that is the case, then it would be selfish to burden them with our own needs, instead of helping them.

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
LizaSymonenko said:
Luke said:
If both are willing, where's the problem?  ...especially, if they are beyond childbearing age... they are not shirking the "go forth and multiply" commandment.

The only "hindrance" I know...is anything that would add a burden on the monastic community.  That may be a debt that needs to be paid, or even an illness, where instead of "serving", the monk/nun is the one who needs to be served and looked after.

If that is the case, then it would be selfish to burden them with our own needs, instead of helping them.
I do know of cases where monasteries have allowed terminally ill people to live out their final days, weeks, months, years, whatever as a novice in a monastery, but every case usually involves a large endowment specifically for the care of the person, who does their best to live according to the rule of the monastery and not be a burden to the community.

But, yeah, if you're just looking for free hospice care in a monastery that's not equipped to do that, that's not cool.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
RobS said:
Sure.  If the monks don't like you, you won't become a monk at that particular monastery.

So, I guess acting like a jackass would prevent one from being a monk.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Tallitot said:
RobS said:
Being a female.
Well, yes and no lol. https://oca.org/saints/lives/2012/03/10/100776-saint-anastasia-the-patrician-of-alexandria

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Conflict with following rules or lifestyle