What's everyone listening to?

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
who's the conductor?  Is it Solti?  IMHO, this was the only time, unfortunately, that the Chicago Symphony was worth its salt.

Aside from that, Mussorgsky's awesome!

As for me:  Onward, Ever Moving.  If you like your rock n' roll heavy and straight up, I'd recommend this.

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
who's the conductor?  Is it Solti?  IMHO, this was the only time, unfortunately, that the Chicago Symphony was worth its salt.
Aside from that, Mussorgsky's awesome!
Yes, it is Solti.  Good stuff comes out of Russia.  ;)

TinaG

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
comethatmidnight.wordpress.com
Ebor said:
Our oldest, now 14.5, who has just wandered by and read your post, TinaG, just quoted The Incredibles "Leading experts say that Beethoven makes babies smarter".   :D

He has a growing sense of humour.

Ebor
Why do kids never ever think they get their intelligence from their PARENTS?  Sigh.  Your son is just too young to admit it yet.  That usually happens about the time they have kids of their own, or so I've heard.  Mine are still young enough to think I know something because Mommy said so.  :laugh:

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
TinaG said:
Why do kids never ever think they get their intelligence from their PARENTS?  Sigh.  Your son is just too young to admit it yet.  That usually happens about the time they have kids of their own, or so I've heard.  Mine are still young enough to think I know something because Mommy said so.   :laugh:
Well, to be fair, he was trying to be funny as he then quoted more of the movie.

And he and his sister *do* still come to us for information (the youngest coming to us more for things like ice cream) and sometimes get the answer "I don't know, but I know how to find out!"

Ebor

TinaG

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
comethatmidnight.wordpress.com
Ebor said:
Well, to be fair, he was trying to be funny as he then quoted more of the movie.

And he and his sister *do* still come to us for information (the youngest coming to us more for things like ice cream) and sometimes get the answer "I don't know, but I know how to find out!"

Ebor
The Incredibles must be a favorite of his if he can quote the movie.  I'm going to have to watch it again because I just can't remember those lines.  It's been a while.  I'm always amazed at how my kids can't seem to remember who left the fridge door open or why the cat is wearing someone's superhero underwear around its head, but they can quote line for line from their favorite movies, TV commercials or potty mouthed Cartoon Network show.

BrotherAidan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
TinaG said:
I'm always amazed at how my kids can't seem to remember who left the fridge door open or why the cat is wearing someone's superhero underwear around its head, but they can quote line for line from their favorite movies, TV commercials or potty mouthed Cartoon Network show.
hilarious! especially about the cat! We are at the "anxiously awaiting grandparenthood" stage, but I remember the same kind of stuff!

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
TinaG said:
The Incredibles must be a favorite of his if he can quote the movie. 
He has a *wonderful* memory for lines and jokes and quotes.  But where his shoes are in the morning is another matter *entirely*  ;)

I'm always amazed at how my kids can't seem to remember who left the fridge door open or why the cat is wearing someone's superhero underwear around its head ...
Now *I'm* curious.  Do you recall if there was an anwer to why the cat had underwear on its head?  and for that matter, it's amazing that the cat would *allow* it.

Ebor

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Bringin' us back on track... ;)

Has anyone heard of Jamie Cullum?  He's an awesome jazz pianist who plays not only the classics but has an interesting take on Jimi Hendrix (Wind Cries Mary) and Radiohead (High and Dry)!  Check out the CD Twentysomething if y'all are interested.

Oh yeah, for the [wiser and more experienced :D] crowd, he also does great renditions of Singin' In The Rain, What A Difference A Day Made and I Could Have Danced All Night.

BrotherAidan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Jibrail Almuhajir said:
Bringin' us back on track... ;)

Has anyone heard of Jamie Cullum?  He's an awesome jazz pianist who plays not only the classics but has an interesting take on Jimi Hendrix (Wind Cries Mary) and Radiohead (High and Dry)!  Check out the CD Twentysomething if y'all are interested.

Oh yeah, for the [wiser and more experienced :D] crowd, he also does great renditions of Singin' In The Rain, What A Difference A Day Made and I Could Have Danced All Night.
yes, I have heard of him; I am very glad to see this younger generation of "stand up" singers such as him, Michael Buble,
Kurt Elling, Tony Desare, John Pizzarelli come along; not since Mark Murphy, Michael Franks, Kenny Rankin and Harry Connick have there been so many promising young jazz-pop vocalists.

Let's see, before them: Bobby Darrin, Tom Jones, Jack Jones

Then the A-team: Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Tony Bennett (the only one of that generation not only still kickin', but still swingin'), Mel Torme, Joe Williams

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Well, it's been about a month. Surely you're all listening to something else now.

For me, it's Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition...which it seems is exactly what I was listening to a month ago. Hmm....

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Past three weeks? Radiohead's OK Computer, The Bends, Kid A.  I think my roomie's growing tired of them, but hey, I have to listen to every known (and some not-so-known) recording of Depeche Mode so I figure it all evens out. :D 

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
EofK said:
Karen Carpenter   ;D  Cheesy but addictive.
Be careful.  Like any addiction, it is good at first and then becomes destructive!  Especially the Carpenters!

As for me, I'm listening to Make Ready, O Bethlehem:  Byzantine Chant in English by Anaphora.  Great stuff for the Nativity Season.  My godfather, Fr. Aaron Warwick sings on it as does my fellow chanter Holly Walsh.  It's a good recording with a nice selection of hymns for the Nativity season.

Rowan

Reaction score
Nyssa The Hobbit said:
I just finished listening to the "Walking With Strangers" CD by The Birthday Massacre.  Now I'm listening to my MP3s.  Currently: "Duality" by Slipknot.
What's your favorite Slipknot album?

I've been nostalgic lately, so I've been listening to stuff that reminds me of high school: The Vandals (Internet Dating Superstuds) and the first (how presumptuous!) rap album released by guys I used to go to high school with.

And I've been looping "Flathead" by The Fratellis over and over.

Rowan

Reaction score
It's weird. I like those album covers, but an image of a rainbow frog leaping into a chick's mouth from the Flaming Lips is the one that freaks me out.