• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What's everyone listening to?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Lately I've been trying to listen to albums rather than random songs. I digitized all of my cds last year and realized that for some reason listening to whole albums makes music-listening more"meaningful" if that makes any sense.
Yeah, I agree that it's a different experience and can add something substantial to the mix. Sometimes I miss the good old days when I'd sit and listen to an entire album while I read the lyrics and looked at the liner notes and pictures, trying to figure out in a pre-internet age why a band was thanking someone named "Jazzy Jeff" or where a venue named "Sparky's Pit" was. Sadly, I think at this point the way I listen to music, and interact with entertainment generally, has just changed too much to go back to that. I sometimes listen to albums, but almost always as background sound: I just go to Spotify, search for a band I like, and let it start playing through their discography while I play a video game. Generally if I'm going to focus for half an hour on music these days, I prefer looking up covers or variations of a single song or two on youtube and watching those.

Alpo2

Elder
Reaction score
Sometimes I miss the good old days when I'd sit and listen to an entire album while I read the lyrics and looked at the liner notes and pictures, trying to figure out in a pre-internet age why a band was thanking someone named "Jazzy Jeff" or where a venue named "Sparky's Pit" was.
Yeah I miss that too. It used to be exciting to find something new to listen. I guess focusing on listening was easier back then when getting new music was a lot more complicated and seemingly pricier than now. Getting a new album was something special and not something just a few taps away.

I sometimes listen to albums, but almost always as background sound: I just go to Spotify, search for a band I like, and let it start playing through their discography while I play a video game.
I do this too but IMO it's better than listen to ready-made playlists or picking a random song and let algorithm choose the rest. Youtube's really good at that but it doesn't feel personal. Wanting to listen this or that artist is an intentional choice. Wanting to listen just something is not a choice.

Alpo2

Elder
Reaction score
Going through Deutsch Nepal's whole discography. I only found about them yesterday and seems pretty good stuff.