What's everyone listening to?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:
'Ace of Spades,' Motorhead  :)
One of the truly classic rock songs that have held up over time. Lemmy is alright. When Motorhead came to town and I had no idea who they were, he would hang out at whatever dive bar was near where they were playing. All non-chalant. Never acted like an idiot, or creep, or anything.

I swear he and Kool Herc once played a game of pool in this stupid bar once. But my memories are starting to overlay one another, so I won't swear to this.

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Romaios said:
The Art of the Kvetch: Jewish Humor as Secularism (especially Michael Wex, the second speaker ~ minute 18)
Is he really any good? I sorta heard an interview with him for half a minute five years ago or so. He sounded like he was full of it.

Anyway, I was trying to explain to someone the difference between kvetching and complaining recently. Maybe Wex is actually worth reading. I look for a pdf to preview of something of his and didn't find anything.
Years ago I listened to Just say nu and liked it. I've given the CD it was on to someone never to get it back... Since then I've been trying to find any of his stuff myself, but to no avail.

He's the only contemporary Yiddishist I know of, besides Dovid Katz.

Yiddish might soon be extinct, I'm afraid. A shod!

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Is he really any good? I sorta heard an interview with him for half a minute five years ago or so. He sounded like he was full of it.

Anyway, I was trying to explain to someone the difference between kvetching and complaining recently. Maybe Wex is actually worth reading. I look for a pdf to preview of something of his and didn't find anything.
Seems youtube's full of him in the meantime: Just Say Nu by Michael Wex--Audiobook Excerpt

IoanC

Archon
Reaction score
Lemmy is awesome. He is a very powerful and uncompromising man. His bar is extremely high as far as making music and living life.
He is 70 or so and still releasing fiery albums and living the same way he always did.

orthonorm said:
biro said:
'Ace of Spades,' Motorhead  :)
One of the truly classic rock songs that have held up over time. Lemmy is alright. When Motorhead came to town and I had no idea who they were, he would hang out at whatever dive bar was near where they were playing. All non-chalant. Never acted like an idiot, or creep, or anything.

I swear he and Kool Herc once played a game of pool in this stupid bar once. But my memories are starting to overlay one another, so I won't swear to this.

IoanC

Archon
Reaction score
Max Raabe- Oops i did it again (http://youtu.be/qYr9kIyambE)

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IoanC said:
Lemmy is awesome. He is a very powerful and uncompromising man. His bar is extremely high as far as making music and living life.
He is 70 or so and still releasing fiery albums and living the same way he always did.

orthonorm said:
biro said:
'Ace of Spades,' Motorhead  :)

Plus, Lemmy was in Hawkwind for their best albums.

IoanC

Archon
Reaction score
Pitbull Feat. Marc Anthony - Rain Over Me (Chipmunks Cover) (http://youtu.be/X3Z3RMQUXzE)

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Goo Goo Dolls- "Name"

There isn't an emotion you can feel that Goo Goo Dolls doesn't have a song for.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
In rotation the past few days:

Hawkwind- Space Ritual and Warrior on the Edge of Time
Jah Wobble- Chinese Dub
Cathedral- Forest of Equilibrium