William T

Archon
Reaction score
My life is complete, I wish to spread and share the joy:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tNy_g6cMlIE

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I feel he's a bit underrated compared to Bach. I am really enjoying these recordings.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
I don't think there's a Baroque composer I'm not in love with, as long as the conductor had a clue (there are unfortunately awful recordings of any music).

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
I don't think there's a Baroque composer I'm not in love with, as long as the conductor had a clue (there are unfortunately awful recordings of any music).
seriously folks, Vivaldi?  I mean "what's the deal" (Seinfeld voice)?  I never got why he is so popular and not Buxtehude, Couperin, or whomever.  Telemann may be historically important, but he as well is nothing I'll listen to on my own for pure pleasure.  I do like and listen to a lot of Baroque music though. 

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
You're probably listening to the Perlman 'Four Seasons'? Not a good recording. Vivaldi properly heard is breathtakingly beautiful, and unique.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I love Vivaldi. Here's one of the first things I heard from him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeyqD9fpshQ

I think cloying or dull recordings of the Four Seasons have done him a disservice in modern times.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
I love Vivaldi. Here's one of the first things I heard from him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeyqD9fpshQ

I think cloying or dull recordings of the Four Seasons have done him a disservice in modern times.
That's a blast from the past.  Yes, I remember that piece fondly.  It's been awhile, but I used to listen to it with regularity in high school.  I was just kind of making a crack that Vivaldi, esp 4 seasons, has been played so often and in such a neutered way whn there really are other Baroque composers out there who I don't understand aren't as famous. You and Proter are right on the fact that he gets MUZAK treatment. I think Baroque in general is susceptible to MUZAK treatment, but Vivaldi suffers the most from it.  And yes, Vivaldi is great.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Buxtehude is extra special. Purcell too. Bach is the god tho and nothing really compares to him. I believe there's finally a complete set of all his cantatas available (i.e., the whole Christian calendar), and if I had money I'd definitely be buying.