• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Whats The Point In Prayer?

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
If God is all knowing and things are decreed for us. What is really the point in praying? God always says that he doesn't change his mind many times in the bible. Does it really matter if I ask over and over again for something even if it's through Jesus name or not. I'm really having a hard time with this as of lately. I've been asking for something for  few years now and it doesn't seem to be what God has decreed for my life again yet I still have the desire to remarry  and have a family again although I'm single lol. Let's just stick to why pray.

MalpanaGiwargis

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ACROD
jewish voice said:
If God is all knowing and things are decreed for us. What is really the point in praying? God always says that he doesn't change his mind many times in the bible. Does it really matter if I ask over and over again for something even if it's through Jesus name or not. I'm really having a hard time with this as of lately. I've been asking for something for  few years now and it doesn't seem to be what God has decreed for my life again yet I still have the desire to remarry  and have a family again although I'm single lol. Let's just stick to why pray.
Asking for things from God is only one of the reasons to pray. There is also the praise and glorification of God for his boundless perfections; there is the prayerful expression of our gratitude for the numberless benefits he has given us; and there is the prayerful contrition for our sins. And finally there is prayerful petition, whether for ourselves or others, or for material or spiritual benefits.

As for God's omniscience in relation to our petitions, I don't think we pray so that we make known to God something he doesn't already know; rather, prayer for our necessities helps train us to remember our dependence on him for all things. This is true of all prayer - our praise and thanksgiving do not fill up some need in God, since he is all-sufficient in himself, but they do fill up some need in us who must struggle to keep God always at the forefront.

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
To ask a related question, what is the point of starting or joining a list of 'Lord have mercy' posts in response to someones prayer request on the Prayer Forum of this board? Isn't it enough to simply read the request and pray without spamming?

eddybear

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Sourozh
FinnJames said:
To ask a related question, what is the point of starting or joining a list of 'Lord have mercy' posts in response to someones prayer request on the Prayer Forum of this board? Isn't it enough to simply read the request and pray without spamming?
It is encouraging for the person making the request to know that others are praying for them, and care about them enough to pray for them.

I also find that the act of writing "Lord, have mercy" makes me stop long enough to actually pray, rather than reading a post, thinking it would be good to pray, but then getting distracted or moving on to another post.

Sleeper

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
The point of prayer is the remembrance of God. It is how we relate to God in the most personal and intimate of ways. Whether or not you ask for something is really beside the point.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
There was a Calvinist author a while back (Arthur Pink, I think it was) who wrote a book in which he flat-out admitted that according to Calvinist theology, prayer is basically pointless.

But the Orthodox are not Calvinists.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
FinnJames said:
I kind of feel the same way. On the other hand you don't want people to feel like they're being ignored.

Josiah

Reaction score
Faith
Lutheran
Jurisdiction
LCMS
jewish voice said:

IF I as a Protestant may chime in.....

1.  I DO believe that prayer may change the action of God (Abrahams' prayer for Sodom comes to mind).... after all, God is not only all-knowing but also merciful, gracious and loving.  But yes, we do need to realize it is always "Lord willing," it's always subject to His wisdom. 

2.  But I think this understands the nature of prayer - which is not some manipulation of God (as if we are Lord and He is our humble servant), more than a list of "give-me's", it's communing with God.

3.  I think prayer reveals our dependency on God's mercy and blessings.....  That what we have is from HIM and flows from His mercy and desire to bless.  Even if we "skip" the appreciation, adoration part of prayer (and we should not!), still - our saying ANYTHING to Him reveals and reinforces that we realize our dependency on Him.  This is healthy for us!  And it keeps us humble, literally on our knees before Him.  I think this is part of the reason why we are to pray "in Jesus' name." 

4.  Prayer, IMO, is often less about changing God than it is about changing ME.  More than once, I have felt a strong "tugging" about something - and prayed to God about it.  Then found God empowering me as I addressed that.  I think God  not infrequently answers prayer by changing US - our heart, our will, our actions.  It's no less an answer..... in fact, it may be the greatest answer ("give a man a fish, you've fed him for a day... teach a man to fish, you've fed him for life").  God is active changing US to do His will..... 

Forgive me....

Pax

- Josiah

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
Josiah said:
jewish voice said:

IF I as a Protestant may chime in.....

1.  I DO believe that prayer may change the action of God (Abrahams' prayer for Sodom comes to mind).... after all, God is not only all-knowing but also merciful, gracious and loving.  But yes, we do need to realize it is always "Lord willing," it's always subject to His wisdom. 

2.  But I think this understands the nature of prayer - which is not some manipulation of God (as if we are Lord and He is our humble servant), more than a list of "give-me's", it's communing with God.

3.  I think prayer reveals our dependency on God's mercy and blessings.....  That what we have is from HIM and flows from His mercy and desire to bless.  Even if we "skip" the appreciation, adoration part of prayer (and we should not!), still - our saying ANYTHING to Him reveals and reinforces that we realize our dependency on Him.  This is healthy for us!  And it keeps us humble, literally on our knees before Him.  I think this is part of the reason why we are to pray "in Jesus' name." 

4.  Prayer, IMO, is often less about changing God than it is about changing ME.  More than once, I have felt a strong "tugging" about something - and prayed to God about it.  Then found God empowering me as I addressed that.  I think God  not infrequently answers prayer by changing US - our heart, our will, our actions.  It's no less an answer..... in fact, it may be the greatest answer ("give a man a fish, you've fed him for a day... teach a man to fish, you've fed him for life").  God is active changing US to do His will..... 

Forgive me....

Pax

- Josiah
Thank you very much I have come to this idea as well. It's not for God but for Me. I just lost a close and dear friend today and ang through praying the situation did not change. My friend is still gone but I'M change through my prayer not angered anymore but very sad