• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

When Andrew Reigned Alone on the Earth: Ecclesial implications of the Tomos

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
The editor of Orthodoxy in Dialogue asked me to write an article on the implications of the Ukrainian tomos for the Ecumenical Patriarchate's role in world orthodoxy. You can read it here.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Good luck writing the article

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I thought OID had suspended publication?

No matter. I appreciated your thoughts.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
I thought OID had suspended publication?
That's supposed to be temporary, and doesn't go into effect till the end of this month. And there might still be sporadic activity.

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
The editor of Orthodoxy in Dialogue asked me to write an article on the implications of the Ukrainian tomos for the Ecumenical Patriarchate's role in world orthodoxy. You can read it here.
Ok, I just read it. While I don't necessarily agree with everything you write, it is fair to all sides. Therefore, my congratulations and respect.

I just wish it had been clarified that Vladimir Burega and the Theological Academy of Kiev are affiliated with the UOC-MP, just as you mention that Archimandrite Cyril Hovorun is "an outspoken proponent of Ukrainian autocephaly".
Btw, the use of the Russian the names "Vladimir" and "Kiev", rather than "Volodymyr" and "Kyiv" in Ukrainian, show just how "Ukrainian" the UOC-MP really is.

PS: Joseph Zheng? Are you a former Roman Catholic bishop of Hongkong?

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Well done!

ICXCNIKA

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Excellent. And your blog looks interesting as well.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Gorazd said:
Btw, the use of the Russian the names "Vladimir" and "Kiev", rather than "Volodymyr" and "Kyiv" in Ukrainian, show just how "Ukrainian" the UOC-MP really is.
Since one is more likely to hear Russian spoken than Ukrainian on the streets of Kiev/Kyiv, I would say the significance of these spellings and pronunciations is overstated. These romantic national linguistic projects tend to fight an uphill battle even among their sympathizers. Typically Sinn Fein members will write "Belfast" and "Derry" rather than "Béal Feirste" and "Daire" but no one will accuse them of being unionists.

PS: Joseph Zheng? Are you a former Roman Catholic bishop of Hongkong?
Yes.

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Since one is more likely to hear Russian spoken than Ukrainian on the streets of Kiev/Kyiv, I would say the significance of these spellings and pronunciations is overstated.
Actually, it is most common to hear a mix of both languages, so-called Surzhyk.
But even pure Russian speakers often feel uncomfortable with the use of the Russian versions in third languages.

Iconodule said:
Typically Sinn Fein members will write "Belfast" and "Derry" rather than "Béal Feirste" and "Daire" but no one will accuse them of being unionists.
Once you write "Londonderry", you're a unionist though.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
A very good article.  I am not an inordinate fan of Orthodoxy In Dialogue, but their coverage of the Rue Daru travesty and your solid piece have been well worth reading.  Actually your treatment of the nature of the schism I would regard as definitive at this point.  And without wishing to descend into the self-referential sewer of literary theory, I daresay your status as a member of ACROD, an autonymous church under the EP, in light of the unilateral attempt to dissolve Rue Daru, injects into the work a poignant immediacy, without crossing the border into alarmism or impartiality.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ICXCNIKA said:
Iconodule said:
Excellent. And your blog looks interesting as well.
Yes I thought so too.  Iconodule has been hiding his light under a bushel, but given the nature of OCNet in recent times I can hardly blame him.