• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

When asked they would say the war was the happiest time of their life. Why?

xariskai

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
"At first, the women didn’t understand what was going on. The Convent buried in blossoming flowers was damaged by the gunfire, and the icon was hit by shrapnel. Hegumene Mikhaela had been planting cabbage in the garden when the bombing of Donetsk airport started. As the shelling drew closer each day, they witnessed destruction and miraculous escapes. The gunfire would cease during their prayers, and the fire that broke out in church would stay away from them. When asked, they would say the war was the happiest time in their lives. Why?"

-Please keep any discussion of this wonderful Orthodox documentary non-political -there is so much more here to ponder! Thanks -xkai

hurrrah

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
When asked, they would say the war was the happiest time in their lives. Why?
Maybe they experienced what we read about: during the most difficult trials, the Lord is especially close, and this gives the soul bliss, before which all other experiences and considerations fade. Or maybe they've read it too, and now they're trying to match what they've read.
Thank you for the video, I love nuns, and most likely I will watch it in full.

hurrrah

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
Good video. Yes, most likely they experienced what we read about.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
Co-suffering with your neighbor does that.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I saw statistics the other day that said that war torn countries have the lowest levels of suicide as well. It is an odd phenomenon. Perhaps facing death grants greater fortitude to oppose it and gives meaning to those who are struggling.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I saw statistics the other day that said that war torn countries have the lowest levels of suicide as well. It is an odd phenomenon. Perhaps facing death grants greater fortitude to oppose it and gives meaning to those who are struggling.
I am curious if that holds true, and perhaps reflects this even more, with the people who survived the Nazi death camps. This is clearly in Viktor Frankl territory.