• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Where do Orthodox Singles Meet?

hurrrah

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
hurrah, that particular profanity in any language is not permitted anywhere on the forum. You have received 200 points for 2 weeks. If you wish to appeal, please do so via PM. --Ainnir
Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
I met my wife pre-Orthodoxy at university. I couldn't even imagine figuring out the Orthodox dating scene. In my parish, anyway, all the young people leave for work, university, or the military and never come back. So a single person arriving to my parish faces old people or young families with lots of kids (a good problem!). I already told my wife that I'm dying before she does, because I don't want to deal with being single again.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I met my wife pre-Orthodoxy at university. I couldn't even imagine figuring out the Orthodox dating scene. In my parish, anyway, all the young people leave for work, university, or the military and never come back. So a single person arriving to my parish faces old people or young families with lots of kids (a good problem!). I already told my wife that I'm dying before she does, because I don't want to deal with being single again.
You could just be single and not date. That's a thing. :) But it's good to wish your spouse the longer life. 😁

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
If your parish hosts a 'coffee hour' after the liturgy, that may be a good place to meet someone.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Never heard of that.
Besides the excerpts of Abba Hezekiah that have been posted on the oc.net there are a few others doing God's work to bring this stuff to the attention of English speakers, such as The Onion Dome:

Anastasia1

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
moving.
My question exactly. I'm currently separated pending a divorce from a nightmarish marriage, and have wanted to slowly get into a place where I'm able to date, knowing that another (for all intents and purposes) mixed-faith relationship probably wouldn't work. I was talking to a woman I met on an app who is a devout (Evangelical) Christian and who works for a company that organizes social media outlets for churches. She wasn't bothered by the fact that I'm getting divorced, but was put off by the fact that I'm Orthodox...
The mixed relationships I knew of were usually Orthodox/Catholic, though I could see Lutheran or Anglican working out better than evangelical.

Anastasia1

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
moving.
I'd love to adopt a child. Guess I can't, because I'm not married.

I've been told since I was 19 that I can't have children, because I have ovarian cysts. I hit menopause really early, about 27.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to tell you all this stuff.
God bless you on your journey.

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, it is difficult. In the Polish Orthodox Church, since we're a minority Church, in order to prevent mixed (i.e with Roman Catholics) marriages, there are such things done:
1. Meetings of Orthodox students (and post-students, i.e young working people) after the Sunday Liturgy, organised by parishes but also for chapels for students.

2. Parties called "zapusty" i.e before fasting periods, at parish houses; they're cheap and usually attract people from other parishes. Unfortunately, at my parish zapusty used to be legendary (like 120 people and various interesting happenings/actions), but last 4 years there is a criss, and only 20, max 50 arrive and not for all night. There are also "małanka" i.e new year/carnival parties. Some of them are cheap, but most of them are much more expensive, organised not only at parish houses but also in some restaurants, and they attract people of more-varied age.

3. Foot pilgrimages to various holy places in Poland; ofc not only singles participate, but clergy states that one of the goals of the pilgrimages are to create new Orthodox marriages. And at least for Warsaw pilgrimage to the Holy Mount Grabarka is true. Actually, I think that's one of the best ways, since you see how the certain person behaves in various situation, you see him/her 24 hours a day, you do various things together (pray, go, eat, cleaning, sleep in one hall/room etc.). You see this person just right after walking up, without prepared hair, make-up etc.
There is also non-foot pilgrimage (actually, a 3-days meeting) of the Orthodox Youth at the Holy Mount Grabarka every May.

4. Various workshops: choirs, traditional craft or whatever.

But for me it doesn't work, probably becaue of the shortage of the decent single male candidates within the POC.
Interesting. Have you met up with Orthodox men who were not Polish? Quite a few Ukrainians visit Poland every year to work, and most are Orthodox.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Interesting. Have you met up with Orthodox men who were not Polish? Quite a few Ukrainians visit Poland every year to work, and most are Orthodox.
Well, my boyfriend (and in God's Will soon fiance) is Arab Orthodox. As for here, now we have a lot of Ukrainians, but we, Polish (Orthodox especially but others too) are very annoyed by them, it's a longer story. Even before war, for a few years, we have quite huge migration of them, but differnet culture, mentality (in religion and not only), quite wild (not positive sense). Not for me - of course, there are some exceptions, one of my very good Polish Orthodox friends, male, has Ukrainian fiancee. Really, this huge migration and its behaviour have changed my mind, as generally I still like Ukrainian language, music etc. And of course e.g at my parish there are very nice active Ukrainians and I'm in good relations with them, so certainly I do not want to judge the whole nation ;)

stanley123

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
USA
^^ I know all of this as my parents are Catholic-Orthodox couple (however my father, being is Orthodox, is not so practising as my mother that's Catholic) and in my both Polish and Serbian families there have been such marriages.

And I still think that it's easier for me to find understanding and common language with another Christian (well, the exception are all Protestants, but they're very few in Poland) than with person that doesn't care about Christ. It was easy to notice it with guys that very initially very intested in me, but were more nominal Catholics, and with true Catholics.
One question i had about mixed (RC -EO) marriages concerns the funeral arrangements. Suppose that the (RC - EO) couple had a cemetery plot in a nearby Roman Catholic cemetery. And the Orthodox spouse had died. After the funeral liturgy at the Orthodox Church, would the Orthodox priest be willing to say prayers at the Roman Catholic cemetery where the Orthodox parishioner would be buried (with his/her Roman Catholic spouse)? Note that the RC cemetery has many statues of Mary and other Saints and statues in the Roman Catholic tradition. Such as for another example, the Sacred Heart statues.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Our priest said prayers in a secular cemetery. I wouldn't think an RC cemetery would be better or worse. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
One question i had about mixed (RC -EO) marriages concerns the funeral arrangements. Suppose that the (RC - EO) couple had a cemetery plot in a nearby Roman Catholic cemetery. And the Orthodox spouse had died. After the funeral liturgy at the Orthodox Church, would the Orthodox priest be willing to say prayers at the Roman Catholic cemetery where the Orthodox parishioner would be buried (with his/her Roman Catholic spouse)? Note that the RC cemetery has many statues of Mary and other Saints and statues in the Roman Catholic tradition. Such as for another example, the Sacred Heart statues.
Well cemetary of my parish, nominally Orthodox, has also a lot of Roman Catholic graves and it's officialy recognised - the office of the cemetary is in the Orthodox parish house, but there can be also Roman Catholic funerals, especially that (very old btw) Roman Catholic Church is actually next to the cemetary (the Orthodox church is on the terrain of cemetary). So one part of my family, mixed Orthodox-Catholic, has graves there and even funeral of my cousin was done in such way: first Mass in Roman Catholic church (he was baptised as ROman Catholic), then panichida in Orthodox church, and by the grave two priests were praying together.

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Well, my boyfriend (and in God's Will soon fiance) is Arab Orthodox. As for here, now we have a lot of Ukrainians, but we, Polish (Orthodox especially but others too) are very annoyed by them, it's a longer story. Even before war, for a few years, we have quite huge migration of them, but differnet culture, mentality (in religion and not only), quite wild (not positive sense). Not for me - of course, there are some exceptions, one of my very good Polish Orthodox friends, male, has Ukrainian fiancee. Really, this huge migration and its behaviour have changed my mind, as generally I still like Ukrainian language, music etc. And of course e.g at my parish there are very nice active Ukrainians and I'm in good relations with them, so certainly I do not want to judge the whole nation ;)
Congratulations! Godspeed in your relationship with him.
I knew that Poles and Ukrainians were different people, but never to the extent that each would be wary of the other. At least its not to the extent of how either of those peoples would look at the Roma.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Congratulations! Godspeed in your relationship with him.
I knew that Poles and Ukrainians were different people, but never to the extent that each would be wary of the other. At least its not to the extent of how either of those peoples would look at the Roma.
Thank you :)
We Polish (including Orthodox) have very bad history with Ukrainians. Also current one - a group of Ukrainian men a few days ago killed in centre (!) of our capital, Warsaw, between the University and National Museum, a Polish guy that had been defending group of girls from Ukrainians harrasment.
Not to mention their behaviour at church - of course, there are normal people among Ukrainians, I'm repeating this constatly.