• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Where is the Oriental Orthodox Church in Sri Lanka? How do I find it?

Anastasia1

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Is there a website with the address of this church or the name I can find in Google Maps? How would I go about visiting the parish?

Kurillos

Reaction score
Anastasia1 said:
Is there a website with the address of this church or the name I can find in Google Maps? How would I go about visiting the parish?
It doesn't seem like there are any active Orthodox parishes in Sri Lanka. There was once a Malankara mission there, but it petered out in the 1940s.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Good question. It sounds like there is major Eastern Christian history, but that it got taken over by Catholicism:
Records suggest that St. Thomas Christians and Nestorian Christians lived in Sri Lanka.[5] Anuradhapura cross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anuradhapura_cross) is one of the archaeological claims that suggest Christianity in Sri Lanka before[6] Portuguese.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Sri_Lanka

kijabeboy03

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
You might try contacting the Catholicate in Kottayam, Kerala. From the sounds of it there were services being held at one point in Colombo.

jobin219

Reaction score
Anastasia1 said:
The Syriac Orthodox Church is in the process of trying to revive the Church there.

Besides the ancient historical Church, there was a mission based out of Malankara in the late 19th early 20th century, authorized by the then Patriarch. Unfortunately, with the schism in Malankara, this community fell into disarray.