• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Where Monasticism Meets Endurance

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I saw this article on Trail Runner Mag's website and thought it was pretty cool to see an Orthodox article in a major running magazine.

http://trailrunnermag.com/people/culture/2124-where-monasticism-meets-endurance

More than 20 years ago, the abbot of a Greek Orthodox monastery on Mount Athos taught me more about endurance sports than anyone else ever has.

I'm sure he didn't realize it at the time. He wasn't a runner. In fact, I wasn't even a runner myself at that point in my life. But his lesson resonated with me on a very deep level, and has helped me navigate numerous challenging, even dangerous, moments on later journeys both literal and figurative.

Here's the story he told me: