• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Where to buy icons?

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried searching the forum and didn't come up with much. Where does everyone recommend for purchasing icons? Anywhere that should be avoided? I have an Ancient Faith catalog, but wanted to ask around for other sources, too.

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
handmade, painted icons (high quality):
http://www.tamarapaint.com/icons1.html (I purchased an icon of saint Tamara +1)

https://www.artofcontemplation.co.uk/ (I purchased an icon of Mother of God +1)

also:

mounted icons:
https://www.uncutmountainsupply.com/ (purchased different saints)

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
I purchased a few icons from Uncut Mountain Supply, and some some came damaged, with bits of dried glue stuck to the images and moisture damage that caused bubbling. They refused to return or replace them.

I’ve since ordered from www.orthodoxchristiansupply.com and www.damascenegallery.com and found them to be of better quality.

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
or on www.etsy.com one may find some good icons too...

And I forgot this important one - mounted and painted icons:

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Reccommended without hesitation for mounted prints:
Orthodoxchristiansupply.com
Damascenegallery.com

Painted:
Artbychimevi.com

Icons and other things from the Holy Mountain:
www.monastiriaka.gr/en/

Avoid "Monastery Icons".

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Budget's a tricky question... I guess it depends on how quickly I want to accumulate them. I'm not intending to get all of them right now or even in the next year.
I definitely want the Nativity, the Resurrection, and a wall cross soon. Eventually I want to be able to change out icons to match the main feast/season. Emphasis on eventually.
Sooner rather than later: Saint Mary of Egypt, Saint Mary of Paris, Saint John the Evangelist, Saint Nicholas, Saint Photini, and whomever my youngest ends up gravitating toward.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
That's definitely trickier. Probably Byzantine because it's what I'm used to, but I'm willing to expand beyond that. I don't like all Byzantine icons equally. It's probably going to be one of those inexplicable "I love it/I don't love it" things.

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
Most of mine I purchased from Skete: https://skete.com/. A few others I purchased from a Church bookstore or a monastery.
Once I wanted also to purchase an icon from this website, but I didn't because:

The current status of the monastery is unclear, as it no longer appears on the Bulgarian Diocese website.

Timeline
  • 1986 Jun - Fr Simeon goes on a retreat to Boscobel, erecting a chapel. People from the surrounding community join him in worship.
  • 1987 Apr - St. Isaac of Syria Skete founded; St. Nicholas Orthodox Mission Church founded.
  • 1991 Aug - Monastery of St. Silouan founded near the Skete.
  • 1994 Sep - St. Isaac's Orthodox School founded.
  • 2009 Apr - Fr. Simeon is deposed by Metropolitan Joseph of the Bulgarian Diocese of the USA, Canada and Australia, and the antimens is withdrawn
Source: https://religion.wikia.org/wiki/St._Isaac_of_Syria_Skete_(Boscobel,_Wisconsin)#:~:text=Isaac of Syria Skete is,men located in Boscobel, Wisconsin.&text=The community was founded in,female monastery were also constructed.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
They are not listed under male monastic communities on the Episcopal Assembly website either.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
I have a friend that got a few icons from Jordanville (mounted prints). Quality and price are good. She also said she received it quickly, but this was last year (pre-Covid ruining shipping times).

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried the nearest cathedral? They may have a shop.
I didn't even think of that. :LOL: OC.net is my crowdsource for all things Orthodox.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Even regular parishes may have sone nice finds if they have a little bookstore (or a shelf in the parish hall that has things for sale).

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Even regular parishes may have sone nice finds if they have a little bookstore (or a shelf in the parish hall that has things for sale).
We have one. It's been a bit since I looked, but clearly nothing struck me. Should I go parish hopping in search of bookstores and shelves? :unsure:

Reaction score
All of the places I have bought from were named here, except Orthodox Monastery Icons, whose name, sadly, is very much like the fake Hindu site, except this is a legitimate Orthodox monastery, Paracletos Greek Orthodox Monastery, in South Carolina.

I have this lovely icon of St. Dymphna on my wall, from them, and was happy with the quality.

Several of my icons I got from my cathedral bookstore, who purchased them from St. Isaac Skete (skete.com)...but see above for their status, so I don't know.

I 'rescued' an icon of St. John the Forerunner from a secondhand shop off Mercari, which was also from St. Isaac Skete, and was apparently blessed by a priest at some point.

Speaking of Mercari, I keep a search running for 'orthodox' and 'orthodox icon', and sometimes find some nice icons and books on there.

Here is a shop I found that seems to have some nice ones: holyseed - and they are also on etsy. They appear to be handmade by monks or nuns, but I don't have any information on which monastery they come from.

I bought this small Anastasis icon off Amazon, and they have a number of other styles. It's tiny (roughly 3 in x 4 in), but I was happy with the price and quality. Having said that, the company, Logos Trading Post, is not specifically Orthodox, sort of a clearinghouse of 'all things Christian'.

And of course, there's always eBay, but you have to avoid Monastery Icons there, too.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
We have one. It's been a bit since I looked, but clearly nothing struck me. Should I go parish hopping in search of bookstores and shelves? :unsure:
Why not? Or email and see who is in charge of their bookstores to get an accurate inventory.

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
I 'rescued' an icon of St. John the Forerunner from a secondhand shop off Mercari, which was also from St. Isaac Skete, and was apparently blessed by a priest at some point.

Speaking of Mercari, I keep a search running for 'orthodox' and 'orthodox icon', and sometimes find some nice icons and books on there.

Here is a shop I found that seems to have some nice ones: holyseed - and they are also on etsy. They appear to be handmade by monks or nuns, but I don't have any information on which monastery they come from.
Early this century I engaged in a lot "rescue" shopping on eBay, mostly of Western liturgical vestments from Belgium and France....best rescue was a wooden tabernacle from Michigan that was being hawked as an end table with a curious design (chalice) on the door!

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The reponse depends on a lot of things. In Europe, e.g in Poland we have a few very good iconographers, as we have School of Iconography in Bielsk Podlaski.

Also brother of my boyfriend prepares icons in specific way, but no idea how it's about shipment from Lebanon; I've got two from him and they reached Poland: st. John Damascene and saints Peter and Paul (Arabic type).