• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Where to Buy Incense?

Landon13

Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Dallas
Hi everyone,

So, I've been using some incense sticks I bought at a Japanese store out of state to just burn when I'm praying or just throughout the day to make that prayerful environment. But, now I'm looking to purchase some more sticks in different fragrances. I don't want to order online, but want to purchase in store, but just don't know where these would be sold and where they would be sold high quality.

Would these retailers sell it:
-Whole Foods;
-World Market;
-My local Asian grocer;
-Target;
-etc., etc.,

Just so y'all know I'm from the north Dallas/Frisco area if you have any area specific stores in mind!

Thanks so much!

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
You will be able to get better quality, monastic made incense online.

http://orthodoxincense.com

Or if you prefer sticks:
http://cukierski.myshopify.com/products/frankincense-myrrh-stick-incense#.VXJXtt33arU

JessicaH

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Mountain Rose Herbs is a really good site.  I've ordered from them a few times.  Their prices are the lowest that I've seen also.

https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/catalog/herbs/resins

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
If you ever decode to go for a charcoal burning censor: https://www.holycross-hermitage.com/product-category/incense/

That is where I get the incense for Church.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Landon13 said:
Hi everyone,

So, I've been using some incense sticks I bought at a Japanese store out of state to just burn when I'm praying or just throughout the day to make that prayerful environment. But, now I'm looking to purchase some more sticks in different fragrances. I don't want to order online, but want to purchase in store, but just don't know where these would be sold and where they would be sold high quality.

Would these retailers sell it:
-Whole Foods;
-World Market;
-My local Asian grocer;
-Target;
-etc., etc.,

Just so y'all know I'm from the north Dallas/Frisco area if you have any area specific stores in mind!

Thanks so much!
You are aware incense sticks are hardly used in Christian worship, aren't you?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Online is the way to go, seriously.  The stuff they sell in chain stores is generally crap (ingredients usually being sawdust and/or dung).  Unless you happen to have an incense maker or perfumer in your local area, good luck.

If you still want to use sticks for the home, Legacy Icons are pretty good:
http://www.legacyicons.com/collections/private-selection-incense/products/incense-sticks

For natural, albeit heretical, incense by an old rocker hippie dude:
http://www.fredsoll.com

I like his products a lot.  He's based in New Mexico.

I still wish Desert Fathers Incense was still around.  Orthodox Christian making outstanding incense, including sticks and cones.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
mike said:
You are aware incense sticks are hardly used in Christian worship, aren't you?
Not in church, but their practicality at home is undeniable. Desert Fathers used to make them, Cenacle offers Catholic varieties, and even a few commercial brands are pure enough to use safely. I love this and this, myself.

If there is a botanica in the neighbourhood, it is possible to find resin incense there. The 3 Kings blend, which includes frankincense and myrrh, is delightful.

If using charcoal feels intimidating, there are burners with tealights available. (Don't try substituting an ordinary oil burner; the bowl is too high up for the heat to melt the resin.)

xariskai

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
You can find good incense on Amazon as well.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
oooh the sticks are intriguing.....the smell is right in the stick? eliminating the need for disks and separate incense?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
DeniseDenise said:
oooh the sticks are intriguing.....the smell is right in the stick? eliminating the need for disks and separate incense?
You obviously haven't spent enough time around hippies or Chinese people.

Personally I prefer incense separate from the charcoal.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Iconodule said:
DeniseDenise said:
You obviously haven't spent enough time around hippies or Chinese people.

Personally I prefer incense separate from the charcoal.
i meant in the orthodox context of incense....

I am a huge fan of japanese incense......and ugg to hippy nag champa.....

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Nag Champa isn't the worst. The most popular Chinese temple incense seems to smell like a cat peed in a bowl of perfume.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
Iconodule said:
Nag Champa isn't the worst.
That award goes to whatever the hell Dragon Blood is supposed to be.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
DeniseDenise said:
Correct.  I have the ones scented with myrrh and nard (spikenard, I suppose).  They burn completely.  If you ever used (and liked) Desert Father's Incense cones, these are a great alternative.

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
This site sells incense made by monks on the Holy Mountain. https://www.monastiriaka.gr/en/mount-athos-frankincense-charcoals-c-2_71.html
It is seriously good stuff. The "lump" incense from Vatopedi is varying in size, but I like that. You can put it right on even a very hot-burning self-lighting coal, and it will smell great and not turn into a burnt-out husk after a minute like a lot of other incense from American Orthodox monasteries.

Irened

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
EO
Correct. I have the ones scented with myrrh and nard (spikenard, I suppose). They burn completely.
Do you just light it and put it in an incense censor or on a plate or something until it burns out?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Do you just light it and put it in an incense censor or on a plate or something until it burns out?
Yep. Censer or fireproof bowl, and keep the ashes to insulate the next one, like with ordinary charcoal.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
This site sells incense made by monks on the Holy Mountain. https://www.monastiriaka.gr/en/mount-athos-frankincense-charcoals-c-2_71.html
It is seriously good stuff. The "lump" incense from Vatopedi is varying in size, but I like that. You can put it right on even a very hot-burning self-lighting coal, and it will smell great and not turn into a burnt-out husk after a minute like a lot of other incense from American Orthodox monasteries.
I have bought from them repeatedly. They sell beautiful items. I JUST last week received a shipment of incense... and this time a few bottles of Communion Wine for church.

I also bought a string of "worry" beads. Never had them before... but, they are so comfortable in your hand (nutmeg seeds), and they have infused them with the sweetest aroma. I have hung them from my bed post, and the sweet smell washes over me all night long. I feel like I am in church.

Shipping can be pricey... actually I paid more in shipping than for the items I purchased... but, surprisingly they arrived in two weeks. I was thinking it might be a few months to travel all that way.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Shipping can be pricey... actually I paid more in shipping than for the items I purchased... but, surprisingly they arrived in two weeks. I was thinking it might be a few months to travel all that way.
Air shipping from Europe is typically 2-3 weeks. Delays have more to do with product availability (which can be an issue with manufacturers like these, that don't do large quantities) than transit issues.