• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Where were you ten years ago?

idontlikenames

Reaction score
okay, it's 4:30 in the morning and I have nothing better to do than post some wasteful thread.....the topic is: "where were you ten years ago?"

Let me begin: ten years ago I was in drug rehab (at a "Christ-centered" teen drug-rehab program called "Second Chance" in Memphis, TN) for my opiate addictions........I was just starting to get interested in "religion" at this stage (it was kinda hard not to at this place....you were brain-wa, er I mean, encouraged to), albeit Christianity in its shallow Protestant form......Orthodoxy was far from my mind.....

discuss.........

Reaction score
I was in Serbia, waiting for Australian visa.
I was a Seventh Day Adventist.
I was laughing at my own people and hating them for not being sabbatarians and for being Orthodox.
I was truly a miserable little worm.

beewolf

Reaction score
Ten years ago I was working in the electronic components industry, doing the work of 3 people, getting migraine headaches every second weekend, working as an assistant leader in an evangelical protestant church, and dreaming of leaving to study Theology full time. Little did i know what calamity awaited me, what God had in store for me.......

jmbejdl

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I was a Protestant missionary in Romania - seriously!  :'(

I was working for a Protestant charity helping look after kids at the Neuropsychiatric Children's Hospital in Siret (about 3 km from the border with the Ukraine). It wasn't so much a hospital as a dumping ground for kids with everything ranging from neurological/psychological disorders, to physical handicaps to HIV/AIDS. It was simultaneously the most depressing and most uplifting thing I've ever done and the best chapter of my life to date.

Whilst there I found the Orthodox Faith (the evangelist became evangelised!), received a prayer book from an absolutely wonderful monk who helped me a great deal, helped children in a real and tangible way (even if, in many cases, I was doing little more than making their inevitably and tragically short lives a little more bearable), and, in addition, met my future wife.

I've never looked back, now that you've asked me to, though, I realise that the last 10 years have changed me far more profoundly than the previous ten had - and that's when I was a teenager!

James

beewolf

Reaction score
That is a lovely story - i wish i had come across a monk like that. It was a monastic influence that was effective in my life -i became a lay member of an contemplative Order, the still prayer, daily litany and intercessions made me hunger for more - then I discovered Orthodoxy.  :)

Reaction score
jmbejdl said:
I was a Protestant missionary in Romania - seriously!  :'(

I was working for a Protestant charity helping look after kids at the Neuropsychiatric Children's Hospital in Siret (about 3 km from the border with the Ukraine). It wasn't so much a hospital as a dumping ground for kids with everything ranging from neurological/psychological disorders, to physical handicaps to HIV/AIDS. It was simultaneously the most depressing and most uplifting thing I've ever done and the best chapter of my life to date.

Whilst there I found the Orthodox Faith (the evangelist became evangelised!), received a prayer book from an absolutely wonderful monk who helped me a great deal, helped children in a real and tangible way (even if, in many cases, I was doing little more than making their inevitably and tragically short lives a little more bearable), and, in addition, met my future wife.

I've never looked back, now that you've asked me to, though, I realise that the last 10 years have changed me far more profoundly than the previous ten had - and that's when I was a teenager!

James

So moving!

Blessed is the name of the Lord!

cizinec

High Elder
Reaction score
I was a Revenue Agent for the Louisiana Department of Revenue working in Texas.

I don't think that anyone, even lawyers, can beat that one for sleeze factor.

Landon77

Elder
Reaction score
  I was only 12 ten years ago.  But I was in the Assemblies of God church and serious about it.  I had no problem telling someone they would be going to hell... and I thought Catholic were the biggest enemy to Christianity.  My, how things change. 
  And, Idontlikenames, I just want to say, I think it is great that you have gotten off those drugs.  I admire people who have that much will power.

Elisha

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
idontlikenames said:
(it was kinda hard not to at this place....you were brain-wa, er I mean, encouraged to), albeit Christianity in its shallow Protestant form......
You seem to imply it was "12-step program" related. Have you read Fr. Meletios Weber's "Steps to Transformation" book? An excellent book - an Orthodox view or version of the 12 steps. Even though I haven't been through a 12 step program for anything, I would recommend this book to anyone - especially those who have.

10 years ago, I was trapsing through France, Belgium, Germany and Switzerland for 5 weeks.  I was on the top of the Eiffel Tower on my 20th B-day.  Then when I got home, I started working that summer and then went back to college at the local JC (took a semester off and downgraded from a state U of ____). 

ania

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
O was just finishing up my 8th grade in Catholic school, starting highschool.  Nothing remarkable happened back then for me, nothing I can think of anyway.  Your guys stories are way more interesting.

Donna Rose

High Elder
Reaction score
lessee i was 11 (ha) - 11 years old in the middle of June...I was probably playing Little Leagure Baseball. :) in terms of faith, i was attending my RC parish I grew up in (with MsGuided, who doesn't have internet access and so probably wont get to see this thread for a while), going to CCD each week after 9 am mass, and this *may* have been right around when they announced in all the classes that anyone interested in learning to be an altar server - boy or girl - sign up for the class to learn how and then you can be. MsGuided and I signed up - little did we know we were participating in the very first wave ever of altar girls in the RCC, at least in our area.

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
I was living in Northern Virginia hanging out with Hispanic gang members but being subtly influenced by their mothers to embrace Catholicism (I was Lutheran). That was a stepping stone for me on the path to Orthodoxy; one that I look back on with fondness.

Anastasios

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Donna Rose said:
lessee i was 11 (ha) - 11 years old in the middle of June...I was probably playing Little Leagure Baseball. :) in terms of faith, i was attending my RC parish I grew up in (with MsGuided, who doesn't have internet access and so probably wont get to see this thread for a while), going to CCD each week after 9 am mass, and this *may* have been right around when they announced in all the classes that anyone interested in learning to be an altar server - boy or girl - sign up for the class to learn how and then you can be. MsGuided and I signed up - little did we know we were participating in the very first wave ever of altar girls in the RCC, at least in our area.
Do you have pics of you and Anastasia dressed up in altar girl outfits? LOL I'd love to see that.

James

Archon
Reaction score
I was in my 4th year as District Supervisor, North Hollywood Maintenance Yard, which ended in 1998 by reassignment.

That was my 1st assignment as a district supervisor.

Damn, I miss those days.

james

Donna Rose

High Elder
Reaction score
Do you have pics of you and Anastasia dressed up in altar girl outfits? LOL I'd love to see that.
hmm, i'd hafta go hunting, but i just may - my dad was notorius for taking pictures that we never get to see, still is. i prolly wont get to look though until i return home from school in august. ha i'll keep you posted. :)

Pedro

Archon
Reaction score
Had just finished ninth grade, wherein I was helping lead my high school Bible study, singing/playing guitar in my praise band, and was just about to go to (or had just arrived in) Quito, Ecuador for my first mission trip during my high school years (I went to Bolivia the next two summers).

Keble

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I had one child (James, who at 2 was an absolute delight to take to restaurants if you can believe that), went to the same church I go to now, but I think at the time Art Lillicropp was the interim. I was singing with the Slavic Male Chorus of Washington. We were deep in debt having just bought a house two years earlier. I worked where I work now on the project I work on now.

PhosZoe

Elder
Reaction score
Let's see, 1995. I was in the second semester of my freshman year of college. My parents had just separated and I was into dablling in Betty Crocker magic (or magick if you're so inclined) and reading about paganism.

beewolf

Reaction score
cizinec said:
I was a Revenue Agent for the Louisiana Department of Revenue working in Texas.

I don't think that anyone, even lawyers, can beat that one for sleeze factor.
LOL

Jennifer

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I was about a year into my first job (financial analyst).  I was RC but went to Mass only a few times a year.  I knew absolutely nothing about Orthodoxy except that Russians and Greeks were Orthodox. 

Orthodoc

Archon
Reaction score
At this very day ten years ago I was in John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore recoving from having my prostate removed because of a malignant tumor.  Actually I was wondering if I would also need radiation therapy (which came seven years later) and if I'd still be around ten years from then.  Well, because of the love of God and the prayers of many, I am to still around.  Probably to  the dismay of a few people here and elsewhere.

Orthodoc

SeanMc

Reaction score
In 1995, I had to calculate this..., I was in Gr.s 4 &5 and I was between 9 and 10 years old.

In case you're wondering, now I'm in Second-Year university with 18 years.

James

Archon
Reaction score
Orthodoc,

I may dislike some things you say but I don't hate you nor wish anything bad to befall you, we are brothers in Christ, like it or not, just on different teams at the moment.

james

forever_love

Reaction score
Well, ten years ago...I suppose I was at home, watching Tv or playing. Or crying for a dog LOL
But i got it some years later... :)

Ken

Reaction score
I was married almost 2 years, finally settled into our first home with my oldest son, who was about to turn 1 year old.  It was at that time that I started to discern a vocation to the diaconate in the Byzantine Catholic Church.

Now, we're in a different house, with 2 other kids besides, and I serve as a deacon in the Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Church.

Life is good.

arjuna3110

Reaction score
Ten years ago?  Ten years ago, I was two years into a dozen years of pain. 

Let's see...

Dad had been dead for a year, after a year and half of a horrible illness.

My sister was halfway through the treatments which (eventually) would cure her cancer.

My now ex-wife --whom I never should have married-- was away at the first of many courses for her career. 

I was between my second and third year of law school, amassing student loan debts for a profession which I discovered that I can do well at but which I do not enjoy much. 

I was RC and going to Mass weekly, but I didn't understand my spiritual nature, and I was beginning to look to Wicca/neo-paganism for answers (big mistake).

I knew of Orthodoxy, but I hadn't read anything, and I didn't think to do so: it just seemed like an exotic form of Catholicism that allowed married priests and birth control.

I was good at my law school classes, but I was very clueless about a lot else.

I was alone.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Ten years ago I was having (what seemed at the time to be) one of the best times of my life. That summer would have been in between my sophmore and junior year in publik hi skool. I was two years away from becoming Christian, six years away from becoming Orthodox, seven years away from marrying, and ten years away from having my first child. Now I know what a good time is like, though. :)

aserb

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
10 years ago I was working at a series of part time jobs to make ends meet and depressed. I was in an evangelical ghetto. I knew of orthodoxy but still associated it with ethnic clubs; yet, was envious of recent Protestant converts (who got lot of press in evangelical periodicals).

browneyedgirl

Reaction score
10 years ago I was 12 years old and between 7th and 8th grade. I was probably spending all my time reading Baby Sitters Club books and R.L. Stein books.  :) I only went to our Macedonian Orthodox Church a couple times a year, but I believed in God and in the power of prayer because I would always pray when my parents fought over my dads drinking. I have grown so much since then am really gald to be learning a lot more about the faith. It has definitely made me a better person. Hopefully ten years from now I will be married with children and teaching them about the faith as well (something my parents never did and should have.)

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm... 10 years ago...

My wife and three kids and I had just moved from Minneapolis to Indianapolis. The boys were young, and we were watching my oldest girl for more signs of developmental problems. Her eyesight was impaired as were her lungs, but she was walking alright. She was not yet talking, but all our kids were late talkers, so we were not yet too worried, but we were watching her just to find out what kinds of problems she would be having.

My wife was almost ready to give birth to Nathan (for those of you who know my family, he is the boy who should be between the two girls). He is the one we lost later that year.

Spiritually, I was making the transition to my volunteer prison ministry instead of my HIV ministry. I had done some research on the Orthodox Church, but still was not convinced---still hung up about the Theotokos (who I know had intervened with my older daughter, but my stubbornness would not accept it at that time even though we named the older girl after her---I am such a fool!). I had met the man at prison who would become my godfather, but our discussions were not yet overly spiritual.

It was after Nathan that I was finally convinced that Truth really does matter, when I tried to find the answers to questions I was asking.

Thanks, Nate!

browneyedgirl

Reaction score
still hung up about the Theotokos
im still a newbie so pardon my naivete, but i dont know what you are referring to. what exactly are you hung up on about the Theotokos?

aserb

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
BRowneyedgirl . THank God that you do not know what typical Protestant hangups are for they are many. Keep your faith simple. As concerns the Theotokos (or Bogoriza (sic)) most if not all Protestants believe that Mary was the mother of God, THAT's IT!  They pretty much sweep her under the carpet after that. They agree that she was a virgin at the time of Jesus' birth; however, they disagree about what happened after.  Some say she had other children after that and resumed a normal life as a wife and mother. Holy Tradition teaches us that she remained a virgin the rest of her life. Protestant lack of understanding of Mary comes from there non acceptance of Holy Tradition as well as their "fear" that Mary might be made equal to Jesus and thus worshipped as a "god."  Other hangups to name a few: icons, prostrations, kissing icons, kissing the priest's hand, the saints and asking for their intercessions. Here's a biggie. Most Protestants believed that communion (the Holy Mysteries) is merely a memorial meal. That Jesus is not present in the bread and wine.  We could start a whole new blog on hang ups.
Take care

Veniamin

Archon
Reaction score
Let's see, ten years ago?  I was 12, still Protestant, and...um...I can't remember back that far.  *shrug*  Oh well. ;)

Elisha

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
aserb said:
...most if not all Protestants believe that Mary was the mother of God, THAT's IT!  They pretty much sweep her under the carpet after that.
Actually, no.  It is as you describe, but not as you term it.  They would NEVER say mother of God.  If you press them hard enough, they almost fall into a Nestorian heresy.  They would say mother of baby Jesus or something, but not Mother of God, since that would mean she created God in their eyes.  I think it is hard for them to understand, since we don't mean that she created God, but that Christ was always God and she gave birth to him.