• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Which date to celebrate an Orthodox saint of recent repose?

Reaction score
I have a devotion to Saint Elizabeth the New Martyr, who has become one of my favorite saints.

Today (July 5) is her feast day according to the New Calendar. The OCA website lists today as the feast of Saint Elizabeth.

Yet, today is not actually the day she was martyred, is it.

Here is what I mean...

According to the Old Calendar being used in Russia in 1918, Saint Elizabeth Feodorovna was martyred on July 5.
According to those countries that were using the New Calendar in 1918, she was martyred on July 18.

When several Orthodox jurisdictions shifted to the New Calendar in 1923, the fixed feasts of saints were transferred to the same date without adjustment. Thus, Saint Elizabeth's feast is on July 5 on the New Calendar.

Yet, I have been finding that some Orthodox parishes that follow the New calendar have adjusted their parish calendars to put Saint Elizabeth's feast as July 18. (Also, the same goes for putting July 17 as the feast of Czar Nicholas and family).

The date has been even adjusted in civil calendars to say that Czar Nicholas was martyred on July 18.

In another interesting example, Saint John Maximovitch fell asleep in the Lord on July 2 according to New Calendar which is June 19 according to the Old.

Yet, there is an OCA parish that has placed his feast day as June 19 on the New Calendar.

Shouldn't his feast be July 2nd on the New Calendar?

I hope I haven't confused anyone. It may help to read this site which talks about the matter: Which date to celebrate a saint of recent repose? 

I am curious as to why this discrepancy exists.

Why did the Orthodox churches that switched to the New Calendar not make the adjustments in dates so that the feasts of modern Orthodox saints fall on the actual day of their repose?

I will greatly appreciate any explanation.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
When I was in 1st grade, I was told that George Washington was born on February 11, (1731) but we celebrate it on February 22, (1732).  I had no idea what they were talking about until I became Orthodox.

We are just going through what Britain and her colonies did in the 1700's:
http://www.slate.com/id/2134455/