• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Which Icon of the Theotokos is this?

drewmeister2

Elder
Reaction score
A girl here at school showed me an icon she got from a friend (a Russian one), and the date marked on the back was December 26th Old Calendar, January 8th New Calendar.  However, the text saying which Icon it was was in Russian, so I couldn't read it.  Anyone know what feast of the Theotokos is celebrated on this date?  I know the Synaxis of the Theotokos is celebrated on that date, but this didn't look like the Synaxis icon that I saw.

Thank you :)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
drewmeister2 said:
A girl here at school showed me an icon she got from a friend (a Russian one), and the date marked on the back was December 26th Old Calendar, January 8th New Calendar.  However, the text saying which Icon it was was in Russian, so I couldn't read it.  Anyone know what feast of the Theotokos is celebrated on this date?  I know the Synaxis of the Theotokos is celebrated on that date, but this didn't look like the Synaxis icon that I saw.

Thank you :)
Well if you're referring to Dec 26th (which for the Old Calendar folks falls on New Calendar Jan 8th), it is indeed the Synaxsis of the Theotokos following Christmas (a rare icon indeed).

drewmeister2

Elder
Reaction score
Hmm, well, I think I will try to do a transliteration of the Russian text and see if anyone knows what it means.  It doesn't look like much of a festal icon, the one she has, so I don't know.