• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Who are the Marionites and what do they believe?

idontlikenames

Reaction score
......see subject title.

I have heard that the Marionites used to be Monothelites (i.e. they accepted Chalcedon, but rejected Constantinople III), then later on became a Uniate branch of the RCC.  Is this accurate or way off?

Also....what is their role in the violence that takes place in Lebanon?

cizinec

High Elder
Reaction score
You'd probably get a good response if you posted in the Catholic-Orthodox discussion area.

It's difficult to find where they weren't in union with Rome, as they supported the crusaders in the early 12th Century before the schism was fully realised.  I don't think they ever left communion with Rome.

TonyS

High Elder
Reaction score
idontlikenames said:
I just realized.....did I spell that wrong?...is it "Maronites"?......
Yes, you did spell it wrong. They are Maronites, they take that apellation from St. Maron, a saint recognized in the RCC and EOC AFAIK.

They speak for themselves at
http://www.maronite.org/
and I am sure a google search will turn up results as well.

idontlikenames

Reaction score
yeah....i just read that web-site....kinda boring, though, lol....I see they, in fact, accepted all the Ecumenical Councils (with the exception of Nicaea II, which hadn't existed yet). They simply chose their own Patriarch in 687 due to lack of correspondence with the un-reachable Ecumenical Patriarch.....nothing exciting.

idontlikenames

Reaction score
I have just been recently informed that the Maronites ARE, in fact, (or, at least, WERE) monothelites......This centered around the Zenotikon of Emperor Heraclius, which was a compromise solution to the Chalcedon vs. non-Chalcedon controversy.....it accepted the two natures of Christ, while maintaining ONE WILL.  After its condemnation by the Sixth Ecumenical Council, they in effect anathematized their own selves and chose their own Patriarch....until the Latins came along.

TonyS

High Elder
Reaction score
idontlikenames said:
This centered around the Zenotikon of Emperor Heraclius, which was a compromise solution to the Chalcedon vs. non-Chalcedon controversy.....it accepted the two natures of Christ, while maintaining ONE WILL. After its condemnation by the Sixth Ecumenical Council, they in effect anathematized their own selves and chose their own Patriarch....until the Latins came along.
I think you mean the Henotikon.

evyenios

Reaction score
Lebanese mafia? I never knew there was such a thing.

I have read, however, that a large percentage of Maronite Christians were involved with the Phalangist party, which took at least part of its inspiration from Franco's Phalangist Party in Spain. IIRC, These Lebanese Phalangists opposed changing the political power structure in Lebanon to cede more power to the Muslims. Hence, civil war between Muslims and the then-dominant Phalangists broke out in that country in 1975 (the PLO had something to do with this debacle too). The Phalangist leaders were Bashir and Amin Gemayel, both Maronites who were assassinated. When the second assination occured, then-Pres. Reagan sent the U.S. Marines into Beirut.