• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Who are these?

David Young

Archon
Reaction score
Website
primitivemethodism.com
Faith
Baptist
Jurisdiction
local church, Wrexham
angel 1.JPGangels 3.JPG

I have two problems: (1) I can't always decipher the stylised writing on icons, and (2) I am not always sure whether I am looking at an angel or at someone on a throne which has 'wings' as part of the throne. Can you identify these two for me, please?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
They are both icons of St John the Forerunner. The first one is the most common depiction you see, with his own head on the platter at his feet. I never thought much about the wings, but they could very well denote his status as messenger, which he himself stressed throughout his life.

I see that both these icons are from some church iconostasis. So as you know, St John is always next to Christ there, and if the church is actually dedicated to him, there will be another icon of his (different style, obviously) next to the Virgin.

David Young

Archon
Reaction score
Website
primitivemethodism.com
Faith
Baptist
Jurisdiction
local church, Wrexham
They are both icons of St John the Forerunner. The first one is the most common depiction you see, with his own head on the platter at his feet. I never thought much about the wings, but they could very well denote his status as messenger, which he himself stressed throughout his life.

I see that both these icons are from some church iconostasis. So as you know, St John is always next to Christ there, and if the church is actually dedicated to him, there will be another icon of his (different style, obviously) next to the Virgin.
Thank you. Both the churches are in the Peleponnese, but I don't recall their dedications.