• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Who is allowed to paint icons, according to Orthodox Church laws?

idahoon1

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Christian
Nowadays many people take up icon painting. There are a lot of small studios selling (usually) poor quality paintings - but I've heard that in the view of Orthodox church it is not "entirely" legal...

Is it always necessary to receive a blessing from the Bishop of a given place - or is it only required for a full-time, large scale iconographers?

Let's say somoeone has been painting icons for 10 years - can he or she set up a website, make up a logo for their studio and show icons they painted? Or is it required to receive a blessing first? I'm not talking even about painting for sale - but just displaying the icons as being painted in one's iconographic studio...

I'm asking because this topic seems quite different in Europe, different in the East and completely different in Greece :D

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
a smoking flax He won't quench
Jurisdiction
World
I wondered this same thing. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to the responses...

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Is it required? No. Anyone can set up any legal business they want, depending on the country. Spiritually, it is another question. On Etsy, as an example, there are tons of handpainted icons that should just be burned. The artists may be well meaning and even pious, but they won't stop because of pride. Note, this isn't a case of "if it's not Byzantine, it's trash!" I mean all styles and media, even bas-relief carvings.

I know, personally, of one iconographer who was blessed by his bishop and does iconography for his diocese. I was told it was more of a "stamp of approval" from the bishop; people shouldn't fear thay his work is garbage or uncanonical. But he had been painting icons for years before that point.

I think it shows humility to ask for a blessing to embark on that journey to go from an artist to iconographer. As far as it being a must, I don't know.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Iconography in Greece is usually allowed to be written by those inside the church, for a few reasons. One, being because it's a revenue source for the church and two, because Icons outside of the church often depict heretical material.

idahoon1

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Christian
I can't even imagine how a non-orthodox person can paint icons :D

Let's say, someone is a practising parishioner, but does not belong to clergy.

Is it ok to have an iconographic studio or does one need a special blessing?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
There have been at least a dozen times in the past two years when an inquirer has asked my priest about painting icons. None of them lasted through the catechumenate.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction

Let's say, someone is a practising parishioner, but does not belong to clergy.

Is it ok to have an iconographic studio or does one need a special blessing?
If he is an active parishioner, why not ask for a blessing?

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
World
I didn't know this was a thing until I first casually started looking into orthodoxy a couple years ago and noticed the priest's wife lost all color in her face when I announced to her that I was going to "make a bunch of icons my own way." Her pale death stare/ deer in headlights at me provoked more questions from myself and she eagerly explained to me that it is a holy process brought about with much fasting. Well, the "fasting" part stopped everything in its tracks. Since then I understand a tiny bit more that I should never approach such a calling or gift in my own zeal. I'm scared to buy from anyone now. I will make do with what has been given to me by priests.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
That's a bit much, but it is serious.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
I can't get her pale death stare out of my head....
Based on what you wrote, you were quite casual speaking about what should be a holy work.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
RC artists can appreciate the style. Theophilia has made several of RC saints. Not something that we would venerate, but they would be okay among her people.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
World
Based on what you wrote, you were quite casual speaking about what should be a holy work.
This is correct. If her look had not gotten my attention and opened the door for my further instruction I would have done wrong: Schlock burn material with confession. I'm grateful she helped me.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
This is correct. If her look had not gotten my attention and opened the door for my further instruction I would have done wrong: Schlock burn material with confession. I'm grateful she helped me.
Glory to Our God.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
The good icon painters spend a long time with training and prayer to get where they are at. Then sometimes they do a short "few-days" session with parishioners. It makes me wonder. 🤔

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
World
The good icon painters spend a long time with training and prayer to get where they are at. Then sometimes they do a short "few-days" session with parishioners. It makes me wonder. 🤔
I heard of this too and I couldn't figure out how that works. Do they give a few pointers on technique and color scheme and send people home with a new desire to produce their own- like I almost did.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
What does that mean?

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
There have been such courses at my parish, also a few other Orthodox places in Poland do it - plus we have normal iconographic school in Bielsk Podlaski. The courses at my parish is taht people are learnt certain technic and write just one icon for them. It lasts about 1 week if I remember correctly.

idahoon1

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Christian
Although there is one ah... "state school" in Bielsk Podlaski, there is another one in Kraków, at the Orthodox Parish. It is not a school sensu-stricto, but semestral iconographic courses - and groups that resembles iconographic school. I know people who has been attending such groups for over 10 years now.

I know they have blessing from the Wladyka Szymon (Memory Etarnal!), but do not know if they can start their own studios without such blessing.