• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Who is more disliked?

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
Lord have mercy.

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
I can disagree with people and still love them, but trying to figure out what label I need to put on what person is really not helpful for anyone.
Wisdom! Let us attend!

Wyatt

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
Latin Church
Personally, I think you are OK. Ialmisry is still around but his view point is only sometimes worthwhile paying attention to. Also, personally, anyone who thinks that vaccines are the mark of the beast, are the mark of the beast. I can't imagine why they are picking on you about this issue and not the Orthodox Church itself.

Best wishes
Thank you for your post. I don't know, but I think it is immoral to attempt to scare people with hell to get them to not get vaccinated, and that is happening right on this forum by someone claiming to be "Orthodox." I cannot speak to that, since I do not belong to the EO Church, as to whether they are canonically Orthodox or something else.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
Lord, have mercy.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Thank you for your post. I don't know, but I think it is immoral to attempt to scare people with hell to get them to not get vaccinated, and that is happening right on this forum by someone claiming to be "Orthodox." I cannot speak to that, since I do not belong to the EO Church, as to whether they are canonically Orthodox or something else.
They’re allowed to say what they want as long as it conforms to the rules of that particular forum. It is understood that each poster is solely responsible for their own words, and permission to post doesn’t automatically make the person correct or imply that those running the forum endorse said opinions.

I’m averse to fear mongering and alarmism, as well, for what it’s worth. That goes equally for the pro and con side of any controversial topic.

MarkosC

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton
@Wyatt I don't really know what I can say about all you've posted here, but you are in my prayers.

To hit a few random points:

- I have never hard any Orthodox question or confront me about Catholicism, Eastern or otherwise, in real life in a parish church. Then again, I don't generally advertise that I'm not Orthodox when I'm at Orthodox churches (and of course to not receive sacraments) and clearly know the services. I have had a few challenges at monasteries - but those were generally either rote "what's wrong with Catholcism 101" spiels - here again some monks were sympathetic, others don't really care. (e.g. one Canadian monk on Mount Athos was surprised to see an American catholic associated with the US military running around - he was VERY interested in whether the AK-47 or an M-16 was a better weapon, truly the among the more surprising questions I've had in world travels).

- i honestly find the culture on this board to be offputting a lot of the time and find I have to try to control my viewing, and especially my emotions sometimes, when reading this board

- you will find all kinds of odd religious opinions among really enthuaistic religious types - especially those on the internet. You have to think about if what they say is really what their church teaches and if it makes sense (i.e. basic critical thinking of their claims). For instance, one group of people I met were adamant that wearing blue jeans in public (ie outside like gardening or house chores, etc.) was sinful. Their explanation of why did not pass the slightest critical thinking test - in that I recall it was built on all kids of odd assumptions. (it did however explain why they wore suits all the time). Needless to say, this did not conform to Catholic teaching.

MarkosC

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton
Side bar I should have mentioned: despite my occasional misgivings about this board some (should not have said a lot) of the time, I obviously find a lot of valuable things to frequently read, and occasionally post.