• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Why Are You Mad At God

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
I didn't see a thread on this topic I think we could use one to just sound off ,write it down speak it out. I'm pretty angry at God lately no point in hiding it. Atheist join in as well we all need to just vent it sometimes.  :mad:

Profanity replaced with something more appropriate for the Public Forum  -PtA

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
Valekhai said:
An atheist who's mad at God isn't much of an atheist.
that's how atheist became atheist they mad at God for something that's how it starts.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Are you mad at God or mad at His adherents?

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
Being mad at God doesn't often end well.  Either the Straffe (punishment, but very pointed) to get you back in line or the damnation that comes from a hardened heart.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
We all go through this stage at some point, .. but most of us are given the chance to repent and return.

Reaction score
“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”
― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

I do not believe in the Christian God, I am a Gnostic Christian, but if God is as described above, should all moral men not be angry with this Christian version of God?

In fact, why would anyone of sound mind want such a God as his God?

Regards
DL

Reaction score
WPM said:
We all go through this stage at some point, .. but most of us are given the chance to repent and return.
Repent to the O.T. God. 

Please read and reply to the post just above.

Regards
DL

Reaction score
vamrat said:
Being mad at God doesn't often end well.  Either the Straffe (punishment, but very pointed) to get you back in line or the damnation that comes from a hardened heart.
Strange that your God can take the satanic moral low ground and harden a heart, as with Pharaoh, ---  just to be able to murder Egypt's first born, --- yet he cannot take the moral high ground and soften a heart.

Regards
DL

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Greatest I am said:
“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

I do not believe in the Christian God, I am a Gnostic Christian, but if God is as described above, should all moral men not be angry with this Christian version of God?

Regards
DL

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
I'm mad at God because he isn't letting me join the Orthodox Church...

It's true.  :(

Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Greatest I am said:

Regards
DL
Matthew 10: 16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Regards
DL

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
TheTrisagion said:
"We seem to have no need of a standing military. We just show our enemies this guy, an ordinary citizen of our nation, and they leave us alone for some reason."

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Greatest I am said:
vamrat said:
Being mad at God doesn't often end well.  Either the Straffe (punishment, but very pointed) to get you back in line or the damnation that comes from a hardened heart.
Strange that your God can take the satanic moral low ground and harden a heart, as with Pharaoh, ---  just to be able to murder Egypt's first born, --- yet he cannot take the moral high ground and soften a heart.

Regards
DL
Actually, He does - and over and over again, He does.  (Take the moral high ground of softening a heart).  We tend to be so stuck in our anger, however that we don't ACCEPT His generosity.  We also tend to secret away our anger . . . if we say we believe in God, then we can't be angry at Him, so we lie to ourselves that we are. . .but when we get really honest to ourselves and to Him - then He does what He needs to do FOR us to bring us back to Him.  

I've been angry at Him before, I'm sure I'll be angry at Him again. . . though there are a few things that I've learned in the process:
He's big enough to handle my anger.
He's wise enough to handle my anger PROPERLY.
He's loving enough to handle my anger with compassion and mercy.

I always find that my anger was often misplaced or ignorant or prideful.  In learning whichever one, He shows me how beautiful He is.

If we don't believe in God - and it is the idea of others believing in God that we are angry at - then it still goes back to the same thing - irregardless of whether the anger is truly at God or not - accepting His kindness is simply unacceptable.  Humility has to go before acceptance. . .and that isn't something easily obtained by someone who is unwilling to see the truth in the first place.

edited to complete thought.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
Greatest I am said:

Regards
DL
There is a whole study of Christian Apologetics that deal with this subject, ... Doesn't describe Jesus Christ at all.  

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
TheTrisagion said:
I think it's both to be honest.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
One apologist, Paul Copan, wrote an entire book responding to Dawkins' claim. Not sure how much of what he says reflects the Orthodox teaching on these matters, but it'd be worth checking out.

Reaction score
WPM said:
Greatest I am said:

Regards
DL
There is a whole study of Christian Apologetics that deal with this subject, ... Doesn't describe Jesus Christ at all.  
His morals are not much better when you look closely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4QXOgVfY9k&feature=player_embedded

I particularly dislike his no divorce law. It is anti-love and forces people to stay in loveless relationships.

Regards
DL

Reaction score
jewish voice said:
TheTrisagion said:
I think it's both to be honest.
I am not so much angry with the sheep. It is the shepherd that is making Christians have such poor morals.

I guess one cannot expect much when a religion is based on human sacrifice and adherents laying their own responsibilities for their own sins on a scapegoat. Going against scriptures BTW.

Jesus said to pick up your cross and follow him but I see that most Christians have taken the line that someone else should pay their dues. Quite manly and moral that. Not.

Do Christians really think someone else can pay their dues and allow themselves to shirk their just reward?

God forbid.

Deuteronomy 24:16  (ESV) “Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor shall children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for his own sin.

Ezekiel 18:20  (ESV) The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

The declaration which says that God visits the sins of the fathers upon the children is contrary to every principle of moral justice. [Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason]

Reaction score
Minnesotan said:
One apologist, Paul Copan, wrote an entire book responding to Dawkins' claim. Not sure how much of what he says reflects the Orthodox teaching on these matters, but it'd be worth checking out.
Do you mind much wrong with Dawkins view?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx7irFN2gdI

Do you think a good God would torture a baby because he was angry with the father as God did?

Or is that more of something Satan would do?

Regards
DL

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Greatest I am said:
Minnesotan said:

Do you think a good God would torture a baby because he was angry with the father as God did?

Regards
DL
My guess is it something a gnostic would do.

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
xOrthodox4Christx said:

why can't you join the orthodox church? Me I'm never home do to work so I couldn't join even if I wanted to as they seam stuck in the past thinking people only work 9-5 hr job and never leave home but 5mi from their houses

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
jewish voice said:
xOrthodox4Christx said:

why can't you join the orthodox church? Me I'm never home do to work so I couldn't join even if I wanted to as they seam stuck in the past thinking people only work 9-5 hr job and never leave home but 5mi from their houses
Cannot transport myself in time, and on a regular basis to become seriously engaged. That's mainly it.

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
Greatest I am said:
WPM said:
Greatest I am said:

Regards
DL

I particularly dislike his no divorce law. It is anti-love and forces people to stay in loveless relationships.

Regards
DL
kinda got a point but I don't believe in Satan. One God who rules if one adds Satan to the picture then you end up with 2 God's. All good and all evil come from God. Why evil has to be I don't know above my pay grade

Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Greatest I am said:
Minnesotan said:

Regards
DL
My guess is it something a gnostic would do.
Thanks for acknowledging that your God would not ask for what most Christians think he would and that only those you think vile would.

Regards
DL

Reaction score
jewish voice said:
Greatest I am said:
WPM said:
Greatest I am said:

Regards
DL

Regards
DL
kinda got a point but I don't believe in Satan. One God who rules if one adds Satan to the picture then you end up with 2 God's. All good and all evil come from God. Why evil has to be I don't know above my pay grade
As a Gnostic Christian, I too do not believe in a Satan. Such a character only serves to make God look weak and unjust.

I think that justice delayed is justice denied and for a God to let a sentenced entity go about free is just too stupid and immoral to consider.

Yet Christians just let that fly over their heads.

Let me try to boost your pay scale with what I think evil has to be. They were restricting me badly at the time and I could not give this O.P. the work it needed.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,51736.0.html

Regards
DL

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Because "forgiveness" makes no sense. There's no real difference between forgiving someone and letting them get away with whatever they did. Some of the stories of saints "forgiving" rapists and murderers seem like something a sociopath would demand or encourage, not a good God.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Greatest I am said:
As a Gnostic Christian, I too do not believe in a Satan. Such a character only serves to make God look weak and unjust.

I think that justice delayed is justice denied and for a God to let a sentenced entity go about free is just too stupid and immoral to consider.

Yet Christians just let that fly over their heads.

Let me try to boost your pay scale with what I think evil has to be. They were restricting me badly at the time and I could not give this O.P. the work it needed.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,51736.0.html

Regards
DL
Mor Ephrem said:
Nothing you say needs to be given any credence based on Gnostic Christian Mystery School Secret Truth #1. 

Reaction score
William said:
Because "forgiveness" makes no sense. There's no real difference between forgiving someone and letting them get away with whatever they did. Some of the stories of saints "forgiving" rapists and murderers seem like something a sociopath would demand or encourage, not a good God.
Are you not to love your enemy?

If so, seems that your God is a sociopath as he is letter Satan run around even after condemnation.

Justice delayed is justice denied.

Your statement is rather strange though. Have you never forgiven someone?
Was that the same as letting them get away with it?

Regards
DL

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
Schultz said:
Our own Fr. George recently wrote a blog post about being angry at God.

Be Mad At God First
I liked it and that's what I'm doing with this thread and yes I'm angry at God and everything written I believe God causes all this as he is God. I'm sure others are just as mad too

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Greatest I am said:
William said:

If so, seems that your God is a sociopath as he is letter Satan run around even after condemnation.

Regards
DL
In the event you hadn't noticed:

Faith: None
William is our latest resident atheist.

Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Greatest I am said:
William said:

Regards
DL

In that case, I hope those of faith read and learn from what I wrote.

Perhaps if those of faith learn a bit of logic, it will convert atheists to our side.

Regards
DL

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Greatest I am said:
TheTrisagion said:
Greatest I am said:
William said:

Regards
DL

In that case, I hope those of faith read and learn from what I wrote.

Perhaps if those of faith learn a bit of logic, it will convert atheists to our side.

Regards
DL
Our side? There is no "our side". We aren't on a side together unless you recently abandoned your heresy.

Valekhai

Reaction score
jewish voice said:
Valekhai said:
that's how atheist became atheist they mad at God for something that's how it starts.
That may be true for a few us here and there, but not for all of us (and not for me).

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
Valekhai said:
jewish voice said:
Valekhai said:
That may be true for a few us here and there, but not for all of us (and not for me).
I don't know I'm sure you weren't always an atheist. I mean I'm sure when growing up you were forced to some type of church,Shul,masjid or something. Then something happened made you not believe anymore so come on what changed :p

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
jewish voice said:
Valekhai said:
jewish voice said:
Valekhai said:
I don't know I'm sure you weren't always an atheist. I mean I'm sure when growing up you were forced to some type of church,Shul,masjid or something. Then something happened made you not believe anymore so come on what changed :p
I will speak to my own period of unbelief. I was not mad at God, it was just that the "brand" of Christianity I was involved in made less and less sense. It was so focused on making everything literal and inerrant in the Bible that it was forced to come up with ridiculous solutions to explain it away. It caused me to doubt more and more about Christianity because that had been my exposure to it. It wasn't until I started learning about Orthodoxy and the drastically different approach that it has to faith, God and spirituality that I became interested enough to start exploring Christianity again.

Valekhai

Reaction score
jewish voice said:
Valekhai said:
jewish voice said:
Valekhai said:
I don't know I'm sure you weren't always an atheist.
That's fine. You can be uncertain about that.
Of course, your uncertainty in and of itself gives you no reason to think that I actually never was a believer.

jewish voice said:
I mean I'm sure when growing up you were forced to some type of church,Shul,masjid or something. Then something happened made you not believe anymore so come on what changed :p
What happened is that I realized that faith was not a reliable basis for knowledge.

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
Valekhai said:
jewish voice said:
Valekhai said:
jewish voice said:
Valekhai said:
Of course, your uncertainty in and of itself gives you no reason to think that I actually never was a believer.

jewish voice said:
I mean I'm sure when growing up you were forced to some type of church,Shul,masjid or something. Then something happened made you not believe anymore so come on what changed :p
What happened is that I realized that faith was not a reliable basis for knowledge.
And it sure is not.

Have you deciphered that age old question? What do women want?

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Valekhai said:
jewish voice said:
Valekhai said:
jewish voice said:
Valekhai said:

jewish voice said:
That depends much on the knowledge you are seeking.