• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Why aren't monasteries a good enough place for repentant abusers?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
Volnutt said:
And then just not tell anybody and hope they don't go get a job at a daycare or something?
Exactly. Child molesters and other abusers should be segregated, not only to protect the victims but to protect them from themselves.

And as far as I am concerned, the last 1,500 years have demonstrated that the monastery is not enough of a shield.
It's confusing to me that this should be so, but it has been shown to be pretty well true imo. Is it because the Abbott/ess doesn't take the recidivism risk seriously enough? You'd think that if the monastery absolutely has to have kids or other vulnerable people around for some reason, it would be easy enough to just order the repentant offender not to leave their cell, bring them their meals, etc. until the potential victims are no longer there.

Or is it just that monasteries that are close to settlements are a lightning rod for recidivism? What are the systemic factors at play here?

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Agabus said:
Volnutt said:
And then just not tell anybody and hope they don't go get a job at a daycare or something?
Exactly. Child molesters and other abusers should be segregated, not only to protect the victims but to protect them from themselves.

And as far as I am concerned, the last 1,500 years have demonstrated that the monastery is not enough of a shield.
It's confusing to me that this should be so, but it has been shown to be pretty well true imo. Is it because the Abbott/ess doesn't take the recidivism risk seriously enough? You'd think that if the monastery absolutely has to have kids or other vulnerable people around for some reason, it would be easy enough to just order the repentant offender not to leave their cell, bring them their meals, etc. until the potential victims are no longer there.

Or is it just that monasteries that are close to settlements are a lightning rod for recidivism? What are the systemic factors at play here?
It's more the case that "sent to the monastery" often means "...for a minute." Looking at modern cases, it seems that all it took was for Fr. McCreepy to spend six months praying in a cell that allowed him to come and go around the monastery before a bishop decided that the vocational hole in the diocese was too deep and he needed to place the very obviously pious abuser back in active ministry.

It's easy to feel sorry for having been caught and to demonstrate it.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Ah, ok. I guess I was thinking more in terms of somebody deciding to retire to the monastery for life.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Ah, ok. I guess I was thinking more in terms of somebody deciding to retire to the monastery for life.
I'm not saying that in an ideal world it couldn't be an option. But since so often "retired to the monastery" means "removed for visibility purposes" and not "sent off to a school of repentance," it just isn't.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
Volnutt said:
I'm not saying that in an ideal world it couldn't be an option. But since so often "retired to the monastery" means "removed for visibility purposes" and not "sent off to a school of repentance," it just isn't.
Makes sense.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Bring back the Prison that St. John Climacus writes about.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
That was the purpose of the Prison? I had no idea.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
hecma925 said:
That was the purpose of the Prison? I had no idea.
It was a monastic prison outside of civil law.

Certainly not a summer camp.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I guess I just assumed it was an unusually strict monastery, heh. Shows you how much of the Ladder I've actually read (namely, not much).