• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Why did God create relativity?

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
I have been studying Minkowski space and the thought occurred to me: Why is the universe governed by Einstein's relativity? Why did God design it this way?

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
Because everything is relative? 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Why is life based on carbon and water, not silicon and ammonia?

"We could present spatially an atomic fact which contradicted the laws of physics, but not one which contradicted the laws of geometry." (Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, 3.0321)

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
He felt like it.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
Isaiah53IsMessiah said:
WPM said:
But why? Is a relativistic universe the only logical universe?
I will have to ask my relatives.  :)

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
Isaiah53IsMessiah said:
WPM said:
Read Genesis . . That is the Orthodox reading. World not "Universe" . . .

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Isaiah53IsMessiah said:
WPM said:
relativity is just a theory at its core and how our minds can comprehend physics. Its not really whats going on, on the engineering level. An example of this is the calendar. Today is September 16 2019, but is it really September 16 2019? We don't have the resolution or historical knowledge to see the actual date. So we invent our own and people follow it.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Isaiah53IsMessiah said:
I have been studying Minkowski space and the thought occurred to me: Why is the universe governed by Einstein's relativity? Why did God design it this way?
Well, strictly speaking, without relativity you would have no causality.  God designed this universe to have a spacetime in which we live and experience time as a linear progression of events, which enables things like the Economy of Salvation to work, and which also acts as a restraint on the devil, by binding the devil to this temporal progression.  Relativity enables causality to function in spacetime without closed time-like curves, which would otherwise exist if we did not have relativity. 

Did you ever see the episode of Star Trek: the Next Generation where the Enterprise gets caught in a time loop and the crew are destined to repeat the same events over and over (until Data is used by the writers as a Deus ex Machina, or perhaps a Machina ex Deo, in order to allow the Enterprise to escape by using massive amounts of isomorphic gravimetric technobabble)?  Well, without relativity, that could happen to you, only without Commander Data to save the day. 

At present, it can still in theory happen to you, but only if you are stupid enough to fly into a black hole.  So if you can resist that temptation you should be quite alright, and safe from temporal loops, thanks to Relativity, one of the many safety features our gracious Lord designed into the Universe.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Alpha60 said:
Isaiah53IsMessiah said:
Well, strictly speaking, without relativity you would have no causality.  God designed this universe to have a spacetime in which we live and experience time as a linear progression of events, which enables things like the Economy of Salvation to work, and which also acts as a restraint on the devil, by binding the devil to this temporal progression.  Relativity enables causality to function in spacetime without closed time-like curves, which would otherwise exist if we did not have relativity. 

Did you ever see the episode of Star Trek: the Next Generation where the Enterprise gets caught in a time loop and the crew are destined to repeat the same events over and over (until Data is used by the writers as a Deus ex Machina, or perhaps a Machina ex Deo, in order to allow the Enterprise to escape by using massive amounts of isomorphic gravimetric technobabble)?  Well, without relativity, that could happen to you, only without Commander Data to save the day. 

At present, it can still in theory happen to you, but only if you are stupid enough to fly into a black hole.  So if you can resist that temptation you should be quite alright, and safe from temporal loops, thanks to Relativity, one of the many safety features our gracious Lord designed into the Universe.
Right, and if we lived in a 2D subset of space then gravity couldn't exist since it seems only objects of higher dimensions, like the 3D space we live in, can warp spacetime due to vector fields. I hope I am understanding this correctly, but it seems like the geometry of space time is only more evidence for intelligent design. So St. Paul was of course correct in Romans 1:20, and those who disbelieve in God have no excuse because we can see his working in everything!

What do you think the implications of Genesis 1 describing God bringing light out of chaos and the subsequent events following the big bang and the cosmic speed limit which light travels at, connected with the fact that the energies of God are described as a "divine light"? Is light a physical sign to us foreshadowing the divine energies? After all, our eyes are light sensors and we only detect objects by means of light. 

Mathematics and theology make me understand the nature of reality in profound ways. I thank the holy Trinity for these things. :)

Katechon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
Relativity is not something itself created, but an abstracted conceptual notion of creation inside your mind.
With that said, relativity is basically just the 'many' side of the one and the many - it has it's counterpart, the absolute, but both are not in dialectical tension.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Katechon said:
Relativity is not something itself created, but an abstracted conceptual notion of creation inside your mind.
With that said, relativity is basically just the 'many' side of the one and the many - it has it's counterpart, the absolute, but both are not in dialectical tension.
But we can observe what relativity predicts in the real world, such as gravitational lensing, gravitational waves, and clocks giving different outputs when moving in different reference frames relative to each other.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Katechon said:
He means specifically Einstein's theory of relativity.

Isaiah53IsMessiah said:
Katechon said:
But we can observe what relativity predicts in the real world, such as gravitational lensing, gravitational waves, and clocks giving different outputs when moving in different reference frames relative to each other.
He means specifically Aristotle's category of relativity.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
Takes years to study and understand that stuff.

Richmond

Reaction score
Faith
Confused Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Isaiah53IsMessiah said:
WPM said:
Maybe it's just more logical to us because it's the one we live in.
Out of the eleven or so dimensions proposed by string theory, why do we only experience four of them (and one of them in only one direction)?

Richmond

Reaction score
Faith
Confused Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Isaiah53IsMessiah said:
Alpha60 said:
Isaiah53IsMessiah said:

Right, and if we lived in a 2D subset of space then gravity couldn't exist since it seems only objects of higher dimensions, like the 3D space we live in, can warp spacetime due to vector fields. I hope I am understanding this correctly, but it seems like the geometry of space time is only more evidence for intelligent design. So St. Paul was of course correct in Romans 1:20, and those who disbelieve in God have no excuse because we can see his working in everything!

What do you think the implications of Genesis 1 describing God bringing light out of chaos and the subsequent events following the big bang and the cosmic speed limit which light travels at, connected with the fact that the energies of God are described as a "divine light"? Is light a physical sign to us foreshadowing the divine energies? After all, our eyes are light sensors and we only detect objects by means of light. 

Mathematics and theology make me understand the nature of reality in profound ways. I thank the holy Trinity for these things. :)
For some reason, what you said reminded me of Paul Erdos and "The Book"

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB1QFUCga0I

video on relativity ~ this guy's gonna tell you ```

WPM

Taxiarches