• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Why did you choose your icon?

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
I've often wondered why the people who post here chose the icon that accompanies their posts. That might be a topic for us to share.

To start things off, my current icon here is a photo of a tsasouna (chapel?) in Muhos, a village near where I live, that was recently torn down. The sky in the photo seems to me to be quite dramatic. Unfortunately, I didn't take the picture.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I chose mine from the news story about a security robot at a building in the U.S. For some reason, the robot wandered away, and down the steps, into a pond in front of the building. Twitter users called it a suicidal robot.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Someone has to call me back to the narrow path each day, might as well be St. Jonah

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Moscow Patriarchate
i just like this icon of Jesus Christ

Lepanto

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
Mine shows the view from a mountain in the Alps which I climbed.
Being there was one of the greatest experiences I ever had.

Briven

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
pustozersk.blogspot.com
Faith
Old Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
I like the painting a lot, plus, it's a painted version of a print during
St. Ambrose's time.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Our omnipotent Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in which not even the tortures of the Cross, Death, and Hades could not hold Him back.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
It's my home parish.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
hecma925 said:
Our omnipotent Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in which not even the tortures of the Cross, Death, and Hades could not hold Him back.
Like 450 on a barbell, the double negative in this sentence is beyond my capabilities to handle. What is the meaning?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
The Einstein Cross. There are actually only two galaxies in the image, the other three are an illusion. The closer one to us is just in such an exact relative position that its gravity is able to bend and split the image of the farther one into four copies arranged around it like so.

Most of the other times this happens in nature it forms an Einstein-Cwolson Ring like this one,

Which is cool in itself, but the fact that these two galaxies coincidentally form a cross was just too interesting for me to pass up. Also, the nature of illusions fascinates me in general, since objectively it's not real but for us the observers it clearly is in a sense. Maybe I can't help but compare it to the visions of a Saint, as a sort of "God-induced useful hallucination." I don't know.

So, I guess in addition to finding it really beautiful, I also find it spiritually significant (without knowing precisely why or even if I really should) ???...

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Ballet summarises well my idea of discipline, and pointe shoes are my martyrdom of choice.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Asteriktos said:
hecma925 said:
Like 450 on a barbell, the double negative in this sentence is beyond my capabilities to handle. What is the meaning?
Just a little extra apophatic theology, my friend.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
I think my current avatar is quite easy-read (nationality, Orthodoxy, being a moderator).

My previous ones are some cartoon charaters (as I love them plus they indicate that I take many things with pinch of salt), Arabic Christian calligraphy (again, obvious reasons), Serbian flag with cross (I was given such one by my Serbian grandma) and, the first, was the bell tower of my parish).

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Dominika said:
I think my current avatar is quite easy-read (nationality, Orthodoxy, being a moderator).

My previous ones are some cartoon charaters (as I love them plus they indicate that I take many things with pinch of salt), Arabic Christian calligraphy (again, obvious reasons), Serbian flag with cross (I was given such one by my Serbian grandma) and, the first, was the bell tower of my parish).
You've got a good memory (or at least more constancy than I do). I don't think I could remember most of my avatars.

They've almost all been art from video games, just because I love a certain kind of old school Nintendo-y aesthetic (my username is from the game Mega Man Legends, actually). It also ties into my love of science fiction (as my current avatar does, too).

Briven

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
pustozersk.blogspot.com
Faith
Old Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
Does anyone else occasionally explore switching icons but just end up going back to the old one?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
I don't remember my previous avatars and I've only had 3 or 4.  I think.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Midsummer's Eve was just what I liked best from what the site offered.  But it's a painting I've always liked, and I used to love fairies, so it was coincidentally fitting.

The current quote is part of an image I ran across and saved, and I need the quote's sentiment, so there it is.  :)

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Briven said:
Does anyone else occasionally explore switching icons but just end up going back to the old one?
Definitely. Mostly because the forum software makes it too small for my liking and my minimal image manipulation skills just produce something ugly.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Ainnir said:
Midsummer's Eve was just what I liked best from what the site offered.  But it's a painting I've always liked, and I used to love fairies, so it was coincidentally fitting.

The current quote is part of an image I ran across and saved, and I need the quote's sentiment, so there it is.  :)
USED TO?  :mad: :p

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Volnutt said:
Ainnir said:

USED TO?  :mad: :p
Yes, used to.  How traitorous of me.  ;D  I still like them; they're just not in the "stuff I love" category anymore.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Well, I'm probably far more towards the "faeries as Gothic horror villains" than I am the cute posh version, anyway.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Kierkegaardian absurdity
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
St. John Koukouzelis was a psalti and he's not St. Romanos the Melodist. Plus once he actually helped me out at work.

Not so much with my singing though -- if I wanted something that's helped with that I would have to put in a Hammerfall album cover  ;D

The other I remember is I MSPainted Boris Badenov's face into a picture of the non-metropolitan of Denver Gregory of the GOCA, and called him Met. Odoriferos of the Pottsylvanian Orthodox Church Outside Pottsylvania In Pottsylvania In Exile. But I think the PNG is lost now.

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD
So far, I think I like my icon the best. It is a picture of Madrid.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
hecma925 said:
You once had an old white guy in a hat, I thought that was you, but you later described yourself as brown and chubby. Or maybe you were brown and chubby in the weird dream I had involving you.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Arachne said:
Ballet summarises well my idea of discipline, and pointe shoes are my martyrdom of choice.
Halloween season takes precedence, though.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
RaphaCam said:
hecma925 said:
You once had an old white guy in a hat, I thought that was you, but you later described yourself as brown and chubby. Or maybe you were brown and chubby in the weird dream I had involving you.
Pray tell, what hapoened in said dream?

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
I got mine blessed by the church and saying prayers to keep blessing it.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
The Einstein Cross. There are actually only two galaxies in the image, the other three are an illusion. The closer one to us is just in such an exact relative position that its gravity is able to bend and split the image of the farther one into four copies arranged around it like so.

Most of the other times this happens in nature it forms an Einstein-Cwolson Ring like this one,

Which is cool in itself, but the fact that these two galaxies coincidentally form a cross was just too interesting for me to pass up. Also, the nature of illusions fascinates me in general, since objectively it's not real but for us the observers it clearly is in a sense. Maybe I can't help but compare it to the visions of a Saint, as a sort of "God-induced useful hallucination." I don't know.

So, I guess in addition to finding it really beautiful, I also find it spiritually significant (without knowing precisely why or even if I really should) ??? ...
I could have sworn your avatar was chasing the Starship Enterprise in one episode.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
hecma925 said:
RaphaCam said:
hecma925 said:
I did tell you, I don't remember any details, but we were at a friend's house and you refused to speak Spanish to me. You were very angry overall, and I think you hit someone.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
RaphaCam said:
hecma925 said:
RaphaCam said:
hecma925 said:
I did tell you, I don't remember any details, but we were at a friend's house and you refused to speak Spanish to me. You were very angry overall, and I think you hit someone.
Ah, lol, I remember.  Such violence!

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
WPM said:
I got mine blessed by the church and saying prayers to keep blessing it.
That title of the thread is confusing; when I saw that firstly, frankly speaking, I also thought about 'normal' icon. But the op means icon as profile picture (avatar) on the oc.net.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
RaphaCam said:
hecma925 said:
RaphaCam said:
hecma925 said:
Saints and sinners all agree, Spanish is a loving tongue... but she never spoke Spanish to me.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
My avatars tend not to have much thought go into them. My animated Forbidden Planet avatar was one exception. Right now I have a painting by the Ming emperor Xuande because it looks nice and I like monkeys.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Opus118 said:
Volnutt said:

So, I guess in addition to finding it really beautiful, I also find it spiritually significant (without knowing precisely why or even if I really should) ??? ...
I could have sworn your avatar was chasing the Starship Enterprise in one episode.
Thinking of the Crystalline Entity?

There's probably been a couple of other things over the years that look a bit like Einstein's Cross, too.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Opus118 said:
Volnutt said:

There's probably been a couple of other things over the years that look a bit like Einstein's Cross, too.
No, it was very low tech. The lights would fade and brighten. It is likely the original series (1966-1969), but I could be wrong.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Opus118 said:
Volnutt said:
Opus118 said:
Volnutt said:

No, it was very low tech. The lights would fade and brighten. It is likely the original series (1966-1969), but I could be wrong.
Sounds like either Nomad from "The Changeling," the entity from "Day of the Dove," or the Melkotian probe from "Spectre of the Gun" (or maybe Balock's ship from "The Corbomite Maneuver").

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless

Glad it could be of help :D

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
I was reading up on the Napoleonic Wars when I last changed my avatar so figured why not have an icon of an admiral who fought in the wars and is a saint as well.