• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Why do adults become Catholics?

Reaction score
While scanning the Christian news headlines today, I came across this article and thought it might inspire some interesting discussion here.

Why do adults become Catholics?

by George Weigel

The most touching “convert story” in which I played an indirect role was told to me by the protagonists, an Indiana of couple who seemed a 21st century reincarnation of Grant Wood’s American Gothic, if much younger and far less grim. It was shortly after Easter 2003, and I was visiting a parish outside Indianapolis to give a lecture and to sign books. The couple came up to me during the signing and said that my book on the Long Lent of 2002 – the year of scandal in American Catholicism – had been the final push they needed to seek full communion with the Catholic Church, which they had just entered. I said that I was glad that my unsparing narration of what had gone terribly wrong in the Church hadn’t caused them to think again. They both said, with utter simplicity, “Well, we thought that any Church that could that honest about what was wrong with it was the right place to be.” I got up from behind the signing table and embraced each of them.
Continued here...

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
HandmaidenofGod said:
and thought it might inspire some interesting discussion here.
I'm a little surprised that it hasn't.

Personally, I have gone my whole life without ever converting from anything to anything. (Well, okay not my whole life, only my life since I was about 2 months old.)

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
FSSP
Peter J said:
HandmaidenofGod said:

Personally, I have gone my whole life without ever converting from anything to anything. (Well, okay not my whole life, only my life since I was about 2 months old.)
Peter is back?!

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.belarusancathedral.org
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OAA
Aindriú said:
Peter J said:
HandmaidenofGod said:

Peter is back?!
Yup. He returned a day or so ago.

I'm going to divulge a little secret here... in the admin side of the forum we keep copies of all of the 'swan songs' posted here from our members who put something up and then leave. We then update those same posts when the person returns despite their sworn statement(s) that they would never do such a thing.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Aindriú said:
Peter is back?!
Aye, albeit only since Thursday.

P.S. I guess I should have reloaded this page before replying
FrChris said:
Yup. He returned a day or so ago.

witega

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Peter J said:
HandmaidenofGod said:
Maybe if you or HandmaidenofGod kickstarted the conversation by identifying what in the article you think would be interesting to discuss? I'm rarely short of opinions, but I simply don't see anything here that inspires comment.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Many lay people are honest about what's been happening but it sure doesn't look to me like the bishops have been.