Why do Orthodox people refer to Peter and Paul more than Jesus words??

Poppy

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.zsl.org
This is the impression i got when pulling stuff from the bible. Mostly St Peter or St Paul is quoted but not much Jesus actual words is. Its like Jesus is only mentioned as Gods solution to the problem of sin and death sometimes other than that all his words he said himself are not mentioned much.

Knee V

Reaction score
I've never gotten that impression before. In fact, I probably hear Christ quoted more in Orthodox circles than in any of the Protestant/Evangelical circles that I was part of.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Poppy said:
This is the impression i got when pulling stuff from the bible. Mostly St Peter or St Paul is quoted but not much Jesus actual words is. Its like Jesus is only mentioned as Gods solution to the problem of sin and death sometimes other than that all his words he said himself are not mentioned much.
What do you think the Four Gospels are?

Poppy

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.zsl.org
PeterTheAleut said:
Poppy said:
What do you think the Four Gospels are?
They are accounts of Jesus words and what he did when he was about

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Poppy said:
Since St. Peter and St. Paul only talk about Jesus, I'm not sure what you are trying to make.  St. Peter is not quoted all that much (he only wrote two epistles) and St. Paul is not always quoted (the epistles read are Acts and the other epistles, besides St. Paul's letters) but the Gospel is read every day at every service, I don't know what you are refering to.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
Poppy said:
Since St. Peter and St. Paul only talk about Jesus, I'm not sure what you are trying to make.  St. Peter is not quoted all that much (he only wrote two epistles) and St. Paul is not always quoted (the epistles read are Acts and the other epistles, besides St. Paul's letters) but the Gospel is read every day at every service, I don't know what you are refering to.
Maybe due to the understandable fact that Pauline apologetics are often used in discussing matters of faith or exegeting Christ's words.

I think this is common enough to understand why some folks think Christians out be Paulians.

And since Luke and Mark probably wrote their Gospels in light of St. Paul's teaching, they ain't without a point.

I ain't agreeing, just saying I can see how someone could get that impression. St. Peter not so much, except for maybe how much RCs make of him to falsely support their odd claims about the Papacy.

FWIW.

Poppy

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.zsl.org
ialmisry said:
Poppy said:
You know that someone talking "about" Jesus' words and reading Jesus actual words are completely different. I didn't say what was "read" i said what was quoted when ppl discuss stuff and happen to get into the bible. Just a observation....why so jumpy huh??

Reaction score
Poppy,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean in your original post. In every Divine Liturgy, there is an Epistle reading and a Gospel reading. The rest of the prayers of the Divine Liturgy are based off of scripture in both the Old and the New Testament.

I don't believe that Orthodox Christians place a greater emphasis on St. Paul than they do on Christ, but perhaps you hear people quoting St. Paul more often, as his Epistles seem to serve as a bit of an interpretation for Christ's words. Christ told us what to do, St. Paul sort of tells us how to do it.

Hope this helps,

HandmaidenofGod

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Poppy said:
ialmisry said:
Poppy said:
Since St. Peter and St. Paul only talk about Jesus, I'm not sure what you are trying to make.  St. Peter is not quoted all that much (he only wrote two epistles) and St. Paul is not always quoted (the epistles read are Acts and the other epistles, besides St. Paul's letters) but the Gospel is read every day at every service, I don't know what you are refering to.
You know that someone talking "about" Jesus' words and reading Jesus actual words are completely different. I didn't say what was "read" i said what was quoted when ppl discuss stuff and happen to get into the bible. Just a observation....why so jumpy huh??
because your observation was so untrue, and so unsubstantiated.

Give us a link to such an example of people "talking about stuff" without quoting the Gospel, and maybe we can give a coherent answer.

Poppy

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.zsl.org
ialmisry said:
Poppy said:
ialmisry said:
Poppy said:
Since St. Peter and St. Paul only talk about Jesus, I'm not sure what you are trying to make.  St. Peter is not quoted all that much (he only wrote two epistles) and St. Paul is not always quoted (the epistles read are Acts and the other epistles, besides St. Paul's letters) but the Gospel is read every day at every service, I don't know what you are refering to.
because your observation was so untrue, and so unsubstantiated.

Give us a link to such an example of people "talking about stuff" without quoting the Gospel, and maybe we can give a coherent answer.
oooo nice move!!!!!

its a general observation so, obviously its going to be from my view and you can't give one quote or one example when your referring to a general observation about collective posts across week and months.......yeah people quote the gospels sometimes but on the whole when there chatting on here and discussing generally i see more either saints and Pauls words come up rather than Jesus actual words.

katherineofdixie

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
HandmaidenofGod said:
his Epistles seem to serve as a bit of an interpretation for Christ's words. Christ told us what to do, St. Paul sort of tells us how to do it.
There's your answer. If you notice people quoting St. Paul or the saints, it's because they sort of tell us how to do it or understand it.

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Remember that even the Gospels themselves are telling us what people remember to be Christ's words.  Each Gospel reports essentially the same incidents - yet sometimes the words put into Christ's mouth may differ slightly from Gospel to Gospel.  That's because they're being reported via a third party. 

The Epistles may have been written closer to the time Christ actually spoke than the Gospels!  :)

AWR

Reaction score
Website
www.churchmotherofgod.org
Poppy said:
Since Jesus did not write anything, (except something in the sand that he cleared after everyone there read it,) there is nothing to quote.  We can only quote those who wrote about Him or quote their quotes of Jesus.   And Paul has more writings in the scriptures than Mathew, Mark, Luke, or John. I don't really hear Peter being quoted that much.