Why no hats?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Dominika said:
FatherGiryus said:
The worst are those 'deflated football' mitres you occasionally see on Serbian bishops.  I like Serbs and all, but, geez....  :-\
This one?

Personally, I like them, it looks more traditional for me and reminds we have our own tradition
I think that also looks better than the bulbous crown.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
FatherGiryus said:
The worst are those 'deflated football' mitres you occasionally see on Serbian bishops.  I like Serbs and all, but, geez....  :-\
I like them, but some wear them more sloppily than others.
Bingo!

The one in the photo is fine, but I've seen a few that look like they are liturgical roadkill...

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
FatherGiryus said:
Mor Ephrem said:
FatherGiryus said:
I like them, but some wear them more sloppily than others.
Bingo!

The one in the photo is fine, but I've seen a few that look like they are liturgical roadkill...

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
You can't tell me he's not lovable. Here's a link to some more pictures (only one more with a child, tho, unfortunately):

http://old.zagloba.me/index.php?showtopic=16352

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
kelly said:
Iconodule said:
If it's true that the Orthodox crown mitre didn't come into use until after the fall of the empire, what did they wear before? Did they wear any headgear at all?

It would seem the Old Believer mitre, worn below by Met Hilarion, seems also based on (Russian) imperial headgear, though it looks a lot comfier.

I tend to hate Orthodox headgear but I really dig this one.
Obviously.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Porter ODoran said:
You can't tell me he's not lovable. Here's a link to some more pictures (only one more with a child, tho, unfortunately):

yeah, he looks like someone who'd be fun to talk too.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Tallitot said:
Porter ODoran said:

yeah, he looks like someone who'd be fun to talk too.
He's a disciple of st. Justin Popović and considered to be one of the best contemporary Serbian theologians.

Regnare

High Elder
Reaction score
Weird as that soft mitre looks, might it possibly be derived from the episcopal cap worn before the appearance of the mitre?

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
kelly said:
Iconodule said:
If it's true that the Orthodox crown mitre didn't come into use until after the fall of the empire, what did they wear before? Did they wear any headgear at all?

It would seem the Old Believer mitre, worn below by Met Hilarion, seems also based on (Russian) imperial headgear, though it looks a lot comfier.

Obviously.
I don't know what you're implying and I don't particularly care to know.  :p

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
kelly said:
hecma925 said:
kelly said:
Iconodule said:

Obviously.
I don't know what you're implying and I don't particularly care to know.  :p
I don't care if you don't particularly care to know.  It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

"The Bargain" by Nikolai Nevrev - a faithful depiction of what would happen when Mor and Tris negotiate your destiny.  Look how thrilled you are.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I sincerely hope that I am the guy with the excessively long pipe. Otherwise, we may have to have words.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
I sincerely hope that I am the guy with the excessively long pipe. Otherwise, we may have to have words.
No, you're the fat guy.  I'm sorry.  Facts are facts.  I won't tell your wife that you touched Kelly on the shoulder.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
TheTrisagion said:
No, you're the fat guy.  I'm sorry.  Facts are facts.  I won't tell your wife that you touched Kelly on the shoulder.
At least I have a fabulous hat. Also, we are no longer friends. Sorry, facts are facts.  :laugh:

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
hecma925 said:
TheTrisagion said:
At least I have a fabulous hat. Also, we are no longer friends. Sorry, facts are facts.  :laugh:
Hey, I'm the bearded serf in the background that brought her to you two!  Finder's fee, two kopecks, you bourgeois Pennsylvanian.  :p

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
He was originally in the OCA, but transferred to ROCOR. Sorry for the confusion.
Mor Ephrem said:
ilyazhito said:
Weird, because in the ROCOR parishes I have been to (Cathedral in Washington DC, Cathedral in San Francisco, the ROCOR churches in LA, the church in Poughkeepsie), the clergy do wear headgear, and are pretty accurate about it.
DC, CA, and Poughkeepsie:p

Also, a deacon who was awarded a kamilavka in the OCA (unusual for deacons who are not senior or monastic to wear them) stopped wearing it in ROCOR, presumably to wait until he was made protodeacon and properly awarded it by ROCOR.
Was he a ROCOR deacon or an OCA deacon?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Theophania said:
Iconodule said:

"I has an Old Rite sad."