• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Windows 8

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox Christian
wainscottbl said:
Ah server error seems to be the problem. Might need to uninstall and install Chrome again but I do need a new computer. And all I'll say is I am pro-Russia and will save the rest for the politics forum. I think this might even get moved by a moderator to them there parts if this does not stay pretty basic. Saying Putin might move in troops gets my heart burning with hope. Again, anything else I reserve for the politics section!

Well if you have to get a new computer it will be loaded with Micro $oft 8 unless it is an Apple Mac.  My wife finally had to to get a new laptop and she hates Windows 8 with a passion.  I won't go near it, mine is about 5 years old and runs Linux.  I wish you the best of luck in getting something you can tolerate.  OK I am off topic here so I am cutting it short and getting out of here and moving on.

Cheers:
Viking

katherine2001

High Elder
Reaction score
converted viking said:
wainscottbl said:
Ah server error seems to be the problem. Might need to uninstall and install Chrome again but I do need a new computer. And all I'll say is I am pro-Russia and will save the rest for the politics forum. I think this might even get moved by a moderator to them there parts if this does not stay pretty basic. Saying Putin might move in troops gets my heart burning with hope. Again, anything else I reserve for the politics section!

Well if you have to get a new computer it will be loaded with Micro $oft 8 unless it is an Apple Mac.   My wife finally had to to get a new laptop and she hates Windows 8 with a passion.  I won't go near it, mine is about 5 years old and runs Linux.  I wish you the best of luck in getting something you can tolerate.  OK I am off topic here so I am cutting it short and getting out of here and moving on.

Cheers:
Viking
I read about a month ago that people are requesting that Windows 7 be loaded on their computer and it is actually cheaper to get a computer with Windows 7 than Windows 8.  My last computer had Windows 7 on it and I liked it.  I don't think I'd like Windows 8.  I have to admit that I bought a new computer in April, but I bought an iMac and I like it a lot.  It's not as easy to buy games for it but I have found a site where they have a fairly good selection of games for Mac that you can download.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
katherine 2001 said:
converted viking said:
wainscottbl said:

Well if you have to get a new computer it will be loaded with Micro $oft 8 unless it is an Apple Mac.   My wife finally had to to get a new laptop and she hates Windows 8 with a passion.  I won't go near it, mine is about 5 years old and runs Linux.  I wish you the best of luck in getting something you can tolerate.  OK I am off topic here so I am cutting it short and getting out of here and moving on.

Cheers:
Viking
I read about a month ago that people are requesting that Windows 7 be loaded on their computer and it is actually cheaper to get a computer with Windows 7 than Windows 8.  My last computer had Windows 7 on it and I liked it.  I don't think I'd like Windows 8.  I have to admit that I bought a new computer in April, but I bought an iMac and I like it a lot.  It's not as easy to buy games for it but I have found a site where they have a fairly good selection of games for Mac that you can download.
Once I unpinned all of the cluttered tiles on the 8.1 start page and learned to run programs as always off of a desktop , I got used to Windows 8.1 on my new desktop, but it took six months to get used to it. 

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
Faith
Greek Orthodox (former WR)
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
podkarpatska said:
katherine 2001 said:
converted viking said:
wainscottbl said:

Well if you have to get a new computer it will be loaded with Micro $oft 8 unless it is an Apple Mac.  My wife finally had to to get a new laptop and she hates Windows 8 with a passion.  I won't go near it, mine is about 5 years old and runs Linux.  I wish you the best of luck in getting something you can tolerate.  OK I am off topic here so I am cutting it short and getting out of here and moving on.

Cheers:
Viking
Once I unpinned all of the cluttered tiles on the 8.1 start page and learned to run programs as always off of a desktop , I got used to Windows 8.1 on my new desktop, but it took six months to get used to it. 
Oddly enough, Windows 8.1 which was supposed to lead to the nirvana of computing has cost Steve Ballmer (a.k.a. the chair chucker), ex-boss of Microsoft his job. So expect a new version of windows pretty soon. I for one, kind of like win 8 but the navigation is something I'll never get used to.

PP

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
I am getting Windows 7 for my new computer.  It is cheaper than 8, though this could be Newegg/DIT vs Best Buy which only stocks Ocho.  The thing is, I would have paid more for 7.  Hey Microsoft, if I wanted a tablet I'd have bought one.

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
Faith
Greek Orthodox (former WR)
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
vamrat said:
I am getting Windows 7 for my new computer.  It is cheaper than 8, though this could be Newegg/DIT vs Best Buy which only stocks Ocho.  The thing is, I would have paid more for 7.  Hey Microsoft, if I wanted a tablet I'd have bought one.
7 is a better OS. If I had a choice, it'd be 7 Ultimate all the way.

PP

Indocern

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
I run windows 10 on my laptop but I strongly consider migrating to Linux.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
Indocern said:
Can you run Windows programs, such as Excel, on Linux?

Indocern

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Yes with crossover and wine.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Luke said:
Indocern said:
Can you run Windows programs, such as Excel, on Linux?
Unreliably and with glitches.  Its better to use the open source replacements, frankly.  I suggest not going the Linux route except for professional computing applications - software development, systems administration, especially with the nightmare that is systemd.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Indocern said:
Yes with crossover and wine.
When they work.  Its pretty buggy and a kind of masochistic approach to computing, the worst of both worlds.