Wonderful!

Rufus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
My mother is going to be baptized! Glory to Jesus Christ!

Her name is Margarite (baptismal name not sure yet). She will be baptized before Pascha, although a date has not yet been established, and five other adults will be baptized with her.

This is very exciting for me, and even a little strange. It's a big leap for my mom, because she has never been a believing Christian in her life. She grew up in an Episcopalian home, but no one actually believed in anything: being a "Christian" was simply considered part of being a good citizen, or whatever. As a result, she's spent her whole life as a spiritual wanderer. Coming to faith in Christ's Resurrection was not easy, and her conversion has been a very gradual and complex process. It is my hope that after her baptism, the Spirit will continue to guide her and enlighten her, just as He did to me, who also grew up in an environment of great religious uncertainty.

Glory be to God, and may my mother be preserved in the Orthodox Christian faith!

Thank you in advance,
Rufus

Rufus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Benjamin the Red said:
Glory to Jesus Christ!

Rufus said:
Her name is Margarite (baptismal name not sure yet).
If I remember correctly, Margerite is the French variant of Margaret, which is ultimately of Greek origin. Allow me to suggest the Holy Greatmartyr Margaret of Antioch in Pisidia (also called "Marina").  :angel:
Thank you! I have already let her know that there's a Saint Margaret, but I did not know this was the same person as Marina. I don't know if she will keep the same name.

Benjamin the Red

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Rufus said:
Benjamin the Red said:
Glory to Jesus Christ!

Rufus said:
Her name is Margarite (baptismal name not sure yet).
If I remember correctly, Margerite is the French variant of Margaret, which is ultimately of Greek origin. Allow me to suggest the Holy Greatmartyr Margaret of Antioch in Pisidia (also called "Marina").  :angel:
Thank you! I have already let her know that there's a Saint Margaret, but I did not know this was the same person as Marina. I don't know if she will keep the same name.
You're welcome! I'm a bit of an amateur onomastician, so I enjoy tracking such things down...especially Christian names! *nerd*

No problem if she takes a different patron, may she be led to the saint who has been praying for her salvation. I'm sure St. Margaret wouldn't mind. ;)

And she could always develop a devotion to St. Margaret, as well! I have two Christian names (first and middle name), so I took one saint as my official patron, but I have a strong devotion to the other. I also know some Orthodox who name their children after two saints (first and middle name). I think it's a beautiful thing!

Rufus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
My mother was baptized yestrday, taking the name Marina.

Thank you, Benjamin, for the supplementary research!

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Prayers.......

Lord Bless and Have Mercy.....Amen Amen

Great New's , And Congratulation's to All .....

Lord Grant Margarite and the Other's,  Many Year's and Many Summer's
on their coming Baptisms....Axios , Dostojni, Worthy......Amen Amen