• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

World Series

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
First, the Rox need to do a lot better than they did in Game 1, which they lost 13-1.

Simayan

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Red Sox win both games in Fenway, go 1-2 in Colorado, then win first game back at Fenway to *OFFICIALLY* break the curse.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Sox sweep.  Rox looked baaaaaaaaaaaaaad yesterday.  I think they'll self-destruct just like Detroit did last year.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
The Red Sox just won Game 2 in Fenway 2-1.  They now lead the Series 2-0.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Simayan said:
Red Sox win both games in Fenway, go 1-2 in Colorado, then win first game back at Fenway to *OFFICIALLY* break the curse.
Curse?  Didn't the Sox break their curse (the Curse of the Bambino) in 2004?  Do they now have to clinch the World Series championship at home to really break their curse? ???

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction
OCA
Since Fr. Chris and Cleveland have yet to voice their opinions, I just have to say.........that I pick the Toledo Mud Hens to take it all in 7 games.   ;D

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Pravoslavbob said:
Since Fr. Chris and Cleveland have yet to voice their opinions, I just have to say.........that I pick the Toledo Mud Hens to take it all in 7 games.  ;D
Klinger, is that you?

Go Mud Hens!

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction
OCA

BrotherAidan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
long layoffs in the playoffs (didn't mean to rhyme) are not good
didn't Detroit have a long layoff last year?
and Ottawa in Stanley Cup playoffs
now the Rockies this year

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
BrotherAidan said:
long layoffs in the playoffs (didn't mean to rhyme) are not good
didn't Detroit have a long layoff last year?
and Ottawa in Stanley Cup playoffs
now the Rockies this year
I was thinking that myself.  The one sure way to kill a team's momentum in the postseason--21 wins in 22 games is probably the most incredible momentum any baseball team has ever had entering the World Series--is to force them to sit around on their bums for 8 days waiting for their next opponent to emerge.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Red Sox take Game 3 in Denver, 10-5, to take a 3-0 Series lead that only they have been able to overcome (vs. Yankees in 2004 ALCS).

Close to home (for me):  native Oregonian and Oregon State alum, Boston rookie CF Jacoby Ellsbury hit 4 for 5 with 3 doubles and 2 RBI to give the Sox hitters much of the clout they needed tonight.  Way to make your Beaver believers proud, Jacoby! ;D  (FWIW, the College World Series championship eluded Ellsbury, who played on the OSU team that went 2 games and out in the CWS, and who graduated before his Beavers won the first of their back-to-back NCAA baseball championships.)

BrotherAidan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Nah!  Boston sweep.
you are probably correct.
long layoff and inexperience did the Rockies in; Boston was the more experienced and better team going in; when the Rockies lost the mo, they were done.

BrotherAidan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
being from a national league city (Pittsburgh) I usually pull for the NL; although there are exceptions: last year I couldn't because LaRussa (mis-spelled probably) is such a self-promoter; plus I like Jim Leyland;

I did pull for Boston last time they won it all; the Braves left a bitter taste in my mouth in the 90's (as a Pirate fan - back then anyway; now being a Pirate fan constitutes going to perhaps the lovliest ballpark in N. America and enjoying the game of baseball without having a rooting interest, knowing the home team will likely lose; also maybe taking home a bobblehead and watching fireworks) so I didn't mind the Yankees beating them; and I could never pull for the Mets or Phillies; come to think of it, I don't like the Dodgers either. Hmmmm, maybe I'm not such a NL guy afterall!

at least the Steelers play in the good conference in football.

and we have the Pens; (aside: the way hockey is set up now, you barely know the western conference even exists, and vice-versa I'm sure, you play a third of the teams once every 3 years)

Simayan

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a strong feeling the Sox are going to sweep like they did in '04.

Rockies = Owned.

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction
OCA
Ah phooey.  I hate sweeps.  Makes for a really boring series.  Why couldn't Colorado have pulled a couple out of the fire and at least have made things interesting?  Sigh.

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
It was overall a snoozer of a postseason. Worst that I can remember. Of course, the town I live in doesn't mind it in the least. I'm glad I live in the quiet North End---I can sleep in peace tonight.

Really, the National League is almost a AAA league right now. It's an AL era.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Pravoslavbob said:
Ah phooey.  I hate sweeps.  Makes for a really boring series.  Why couldn't Colorado have pulled a couple out of the fire and at least have made things interesting?  Sigh.
That would require money.  And they spent it all just getting to the World Series!  :D 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Well, I think you saw the same phenomenon as the Tiger effect last year: one team has a long layover (week-long), and it kills their momentum.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
cleveland said:
Well, I think you saw the same phenomenon as the Tiger effect last year: one team has a long layover (week-long), and it kills their momentum.
I'm not aware, though, that Colorado's pitchers committed as many errors as the Tigers' pitching staff did in last year's Classic.  I'll give the Rockies that much.  I think the only pitcher in Detroit's starting rotation who didn't commit at least one error in that series was later awarded the Gold Glove for AL pitchers (based solely on regular season play).

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Jakub said:
I agree, that 8 day vacation threw off their timing and momentum...

james 
Overall, I think the increased number of days off in the playoffs only benefits teams who are forced to play 6-7 games in the series.  Any team that completes a sweep is essentially penalized for being so dominant; baseball is a game of routine (that is built on 162 games in 190 days - and 3 of those off days are the All-Star break), and any extended period of time off only benefits the starting pitchers (who only pitch once every 5-6 days anyway) - even the relievers are thrown off by rests of longer than 4-5 days.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
cleveland said:
Overall, I think the increased number of days off in the playoffs only benefits teams who are forced to play 6-7 games in the series.  Any team that completes a sweep is essentially penalized for being so dominant; baseball is a game of routine (that is built on 162 games in 190 days - and 3 of those off days are the All-Star break), and any extended period of time off only benefits the starting pitchers (who only pitch once every 5-6 days anyway) - even the relievers are thrown off by rests of longer than 4-5 days.
And considering that hitting a baseball is probably the hardest thing to do in all of sports, the slight disruption of timing caused by such a long layoff is all that's necessary to render hitters ineffective.  For relief pitchers (as for all pitchers), pitching a baseball to specific spots in the strike zone is no less an exercise in precision that can be thrown off a tad by a long layoff.  There's not much margin for error in baseball.

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
It's this precision that makes baseball so enjoyable to watch. Those who have never played the game seriously often do not appreciate the small adjustments that every player makes throughout the game. They tend to think that the game is a lot of nothing punctuated by a hit every now and again. But we who have tried to hit a curveball know just what is involved. When I played, I was lucky if I made contact, let alone drove it the other way for extra bases. Say all you want about the NL just isn't as good, or this team is always bad: every player in the Major Leagues daily performs at a level I couldn't have dreamt of. When you really focus on the little things, baseball is quite the spectacle. Can't wait for March!

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
PeterTheAleut said:
There's not much margin for error in baseball. 
Yup.  Before the World Series, the last time the Rockies had gone 8 days without baseball was the beginning of Spring Training.  That's a long time.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ytterbiumanalyst said:
It's this precision that makes baseball so enjoyable to watch. Those who have never played the game seriously often do not appreciate the small adjustments that every player makes throughout the game. They tend to think that the game is a lot of nothing punctuated by a hit every now and again. But we who have tried to hit a curveball know just what is involved. When I played, I was lucky if I made contact, let alone drove it the other way for extra bases. Say all you want about the NL just isn't as good, or this team is always bad: every player in the Major Leagues daily performs at a level I couldn't have dreamt of. When you really focus on the little things, baseball is quite the spectacle. Can't wait for March!
And that was an unstated part of my argument as to why sports are enjoyable (from the other thread): we're talking about watching grown men excel at a kid's game - which was all of our dreams at some point in our childhood.  They have taken what many of us have been doing in our back yards and school ballfields since we were kids and taken it up to the level of art, of precision, of manifest skill.

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Joe Girardi will be the next Yankees manager. A classy, softspoken Italian former catcher named Joe---should be a good fit.  :)

Gonna still miss Joe T., but nice to see one of my faves (and one of Torre's) on the Great Teams of the turn of the last century to come on board.

James

Archon
Reaction score
Rumor has it old Joe is coming to the Dodgers...

Funny how those Italians dominate manager positions...

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Jakub said:
Rumor has it old Joe is coming to the Dodgers...

Funny how famous Italians end up managing the Dodgers.  Isn't Tommy Lasorda Italian?  Or do I have him mistakenly pegged as Italian because he likes pasta?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Jakub said:
Funny?  How about Family.  Hahaha :D

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
lubeltri said:
Joe Girardi will be the next Yankees manager. A classy, softspoken Italian former catcher named Joe---should be a good fit.  :)

Gonna still miss Joe T., but nice to see one of my faves (and one of Torre's) on the Great Teams of the turn of the last century to come on board.
Ooh, Girardi. Good choice. Do you have a link to the press release?

James

Archon
Reaction score
ESPN is reporting that he has been offered the job...but will he accept ?

No more A Rod also...

Lubeltri are you a Yankee fan...hiding in the North End ?

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Okay, I've found an official story.

Yes, Girardi has been offered the job and is expected to accept--but he has not done anything officially yet. We'll watch. I think he'll be a terrific fit for the Yankees--he played for them under Torre during what was arguably their best years since the 1970s.

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Okay, I've found an official story.

Yes, Girardi has been offered the job and is expected to accept--but he has not done anything officially yet. We'll watch. I think he'll be a terrific fit for the Yankees--he played for them under Torre during what was arguably their best years since the 1970s.
How about 1950s? 1970s: 3 World Series, 2 wins. 1996-2003: 6 World Series, 4 wins. And a lot more dignity and class than that unlovable Bronx zoo.

I have two searing memories of Joe Girardi. The first is his slamming an RBI triple to the center field wall off Greg Maddux in clinching Game Six of the 1996 Series, flying around the bases, his arms a blur, the roar in the Stadium absolutely deafening.

The second is from the perfect game of July 18, 1999, with Joe catching David Cone's body as he fell to the ground in shock and jubilation, both ending up at the bottom of a pile of pinstripes.

Joe G. was a huge part of those teams, one of the gels. He turned Jorge Posada into a great catcher. He is a champion.

You know, this also would have been Joe Torre's choice.

Maybe now that the poisonous Arod is gone and the Yanks' youth movement proceeds apace, we can start seeing NY teams to be proud of and excited about again instead of the bloated Evil Empire of recent years.

Let the Red Sox be the Yankees for the next few years. New York will be back.

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Jakub said:
Lubeltri are you a Yankee fan...hiding in the North End ?
Yes, indeed, you have me! I'm a strange one---growing up in upstate NY (Syracuse area) is probably responsible. I'm more of a Boston guy than NYC. Where I'm from, you're supposed to hate NYC and all it stands for. I don't hate NYC, but I feel more at home in Boston, even if it is full of obnoxious Red Sox fans. But I've been a Yankees fan since I was a little kid. I don't change Churches, and I don't change sports teams.

BrotherAidan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
lubeltri said:
It was overall a snoozer of a postseason. Worst that I can remember. Of course, the town I live in doesn't mind it in the least. I'm glad I live in the quiet North End---I can sleep in peace tonight.

Really, the National League is almost a AAA league right now. It's an AL era.
so sadly true!