• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Wormwood by Justin Minor??

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Has anyone read Wormwood by Justin Minor? I'm reading it with my youngest son - and I can't find anything written on this guy or his world view. Any info would be much appreciated.  If you would like to know why I ask, please feel free to PM me. Thanks!

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
lovesupreme said:
He sounds very gnostic.
What makes you say that?  My son said that he is part of a Messianic . . . something?  Not Messianic Jew. . .  I'd love to find some info on him if you have any links.  

Thank you for answering, lovesupreme!

lovesupreme

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Perhaps not gnostic in the classical sense, but in the sense of possessing some sort of hidden wisdom that mainstream Christianity has withheld from its followers. I base this on several quotes from Amazon reviews attributed to fans of the book:

Still seeking the truth after hearing the untruths taught by priest, pastors, ministers and friends? This book is a great starting gate to help learn the scriptural truths of Yahweh.
Is it POSSIBLE that mainstream Christianity could be wrong about some very foundational concepts? According to Jesus in Matthew 7, the "many" will be in the wrong and the "few" will find the strait gate.
For any who have ever found inconsistencies in the foundations of Christianity, this book is for you. I was never able to just blindly follow a religion because a preacher says so. It's not about agreeing or disagreeing, or the way you "feel", it's about the truth.
Also, this quote on page vii is a bit alarming, as it is essentially the opposite of Orthodox teaching:

We approach all things scriptural from one basic point of view: the Tanakh (OT). Why? Because it is the foundation that all of the Brit Chadasha (NT) is based on. It is the very essence [his emphasis] of the Father. All the answers we seek will be found therein. It is effectively the dictionary that defines all scripture.

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
lovesupreme said:
Also, this quote on page vii is a bit alarming, as it is essentially the opposite of Orthodox teaching:

We approach all things scriptural from one basic point of view: the Tanakh (OT). Why? Because it is the foundation that all of the Brit Chadasha (NT) is based on. It is the very essence [his emphasis] of the Father. All the answers we seek will be found therein. It is effectively the dictionary that defines all scripture.
I've found several things alarming - this being the first one.  I told him I would read it - but I will have some very pointed questions for him.  It bothers me that the writer is no where to be found - but you can email him.  My son has been emailing him. . . and my gut says . . . this is so not good.