• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Would you buy inexpensive clothing made in a sweat shop if you knew?

Is it ethical and right to purchase inexpensive clothing from slave labor or sweat shops ?

• Never

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • No, but I cannot say never

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • No, unless I do not have any options

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Yes, it provides a livelihood for the poor

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
"This cry for help on a Primark label can't be ignored!"

I agree.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/25/primark-label-swansea-textile-industry-rana-plaza

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Everytime I purchase clothing, I assume that it is made in a sweat shop. I don't have enough money or time to research where or how to buy fair wage clothing, organic dishwashing detergent, anti-abortion toilets, pro-pacifist cell phones and whatever the heck else the cause-of-the-week might be.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
TheTrisagion said:
Everytime I purchase clothing, I assume that it is made in a sweat shop. I don't have enough money or time to research where or how to buy fair wage clothing, organic dishwashing detergent, anti-abortion toilets, pro-pacifist cell phones and whatever the heck else the cause-of-the-week might be.
POM.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
I avoid some stuff where I can....but honestly that's mostly driven by allergy related reasons.

Denise, really needing a plastic allergen free bubble to live in...

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
TheTrisagion said:
Marc is going to love this post!  ::)

I have never heard of "organic dishwashing detergent" or "anti-abortion toilets".

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
DeniseDenise said:
I avoid some stuff where I can....but honestly that's mostly driven by allergy related reasons.

Denise, really needing a plastic allergen free bubble to live in...
I sympathize with you.

I am making almost all of my clothing now, except bras, shoes, socks, and coats.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Maria said:
TheTrisagion said:

I have never heard of "organic dishwashing detergent" or "anti-abortion toilets".

Where have you been shopping?...I buy 'all natural and organic dishwashing liquid'

(again because i am allergic to everything, not because i am saving the world...)

The Fool

Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
POM. Reminds me strongly of this: http://deathtotheworld.com/articles/a-letter-to-thomas-merton/

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
DeniseDenise said:
Maria said:
TheTrisagion said:

Where have you been shopping?...I buy 'all natural and organic dishwashing liquid'

(again because i am allergic to everything, not because i am saving the world...)
Where do you find it? I have not been to Whole Foods Market in a while. It is too expensive and too far away.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Maria said:
DeniseDenise said:
Maria said:
TheTrisagion said:

Where do you find it? I have not been to Whole Foods Market in a while. It is too expensive and too far away.

Even Target has a natural cleaning products section now. ;)

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Maria said:
TheTrisagion said:

You haven't lived until you own an anti-abortion toilet. I will avoid going into details, but you will NEVER have to worry about anyone aborting a baby in your bathroom with one of them installed. Organic dishwashing detergent is a must. It doesn't clean anything, but at least you feel natural as you scrub your dishes with fair trade organic honey infused with eucalyptus oil picked by fair trade Aboriginal minority businesses.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
TheTrisagion said:
Maria said:
TheTrisagion said:

You haven't lived until you own an anti-abortion toilet. I will avoid going into details, but you will NEVER have to worry about anyone aborting a baby in your bathroom with one of them installed. Organic dishwashing detergent is a must. It doesn't clean anything, but at least you feel natural as you scrub your dishes with fair trade organic honey infused with eucalyptus oil picked by fair trade Aboriginal minority businesses.
Nor would anyone want to use one if they really existed.
How would you feel if bells and whistles went off everytime you put extra toilet paper in the toilet?

Hey, maybe the tree people (environmentalists) will cause the toilet industry to change the construction in order to save trees.

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
There are many things I'd rather not do, but have to due to circumstance.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
The Fool said:
TheTrisagion said:
POM. Reminds me strongly of this: http://deathtotheworld.com/articles/a-letter-to-thomas-merton/
Is that Fr. Seraphim, or a large percentage of male American converts, in their 20s, not even Orthodox a year, having gone through various belief systems in quick succession, and now writing critical letters and planning books to explain to everyone else what is wrong in the world?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Justin Kissel said:
The Fool said:
TheTrisagion said:
Is that Fr. Seraphim, or a large percentage of male American converts, in their 20s, not even Orthodox a year, having gone through various belief systems in quick succession, and now writing critical letters and planning books to explain to everyone else what is wrong in the world?
I love you, you big meanie!

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
Maria said:

I agree.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/25/primark-label-swansea-textile-industry-rana-plaza
This is probably a prank.  How would a third world sweatshop kid know how to spell "degrading"?  Do they even call them sweatshops over there?  I figured they would call it something like "place I get to go every day instead of being a child soldier like my buddy Akim and my first crush Mohammeda who became a prostitute as soon as she hit 12".

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
vamrat said:
Maria said:

I agree.

This is probably a prank.  How would a third world sweatshop kid know how to spell "degrading"?  Do they even call them sweatshops over there?  I figured they would call it something like "place I get to go every day instead of being a child soldier like my buddy Akim and my first crush Mohammeda who became a prostitute as soon as she hit 12".
I think the take away here is that the garment inspector in that sweat shop is doing a pretty lousy job if he is letting those get by.  :p

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
vamrat said:
Maria said:

I agree.

I thought the same, but someone in corporate with an education could be sending a message.

yeshuaisiam

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I've always found the irony.

Go to church singing "Lord have mercy!" when I sat in clothes made from a little kid over seas who works in horrible conditions.

Corporate trade brings sinful blindness, so it seems.

EDIT
Once my wife and I sponsored a child from one of the mega old school TV sponsorship things (not said in boast at all). He was in South America.  Came to find out, Nike had a huge plant there and paid all the people .11 cents per hour.  So while Nike was making a fortune, his family could not even afford to raise him.  His parents both worked there and he could not go to school.

My $20 a month, or a pair of $250 Jordan's....

It is twisted beyond logic.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
+1

Same goes for the way we treat nature, cattle etc. and yet nobody could care less. We have a lot to answer when our time comes.

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ACROD
A question is though, that .11$/hr could be double what they would be making at other places and by working there improves their quality of living.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
yeshuaisiam said:

Go to church singing "Lord have mercy!" when I sat in clothes made from a little kid over seas who works in horrible conditions.

EDIT
Once my wife and I sponsored a child from one of the mega old school TV sponsorship things (not said in boast at all). He was in South America.  Came to find out, Nike had a huge plant there and paid all the people .11 cents per hour.  So while Nike was making a fortune, his family could not even afford to raise him.  His parents both worked there and he could not go to school.

May I suggest that unless your wife weaves the fabric she makes your family's clothes from, that its pretty much Pot-Kettle-Black to be all finger pointy at others.

Fabric itself is just as bad as finished products.

Geh

Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
No what you are really buying into are workers being maliciously and deleteriously used, even taking their own life (see Foxconn), and you already know the extent of how much they suffer. But the corporations to assuage your guilt, they will make some pathetic donation or act of charity to recompense the harm done.

Says quite a lot about how revolting you are. I guess a "Lord have mercy" is enough for them to cope with.

If only the Orthodox Church could serve harsher penances for their followers.

yeshuaisiam said:

EDIT

You are a saint.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
But my heart belongs to Finland
Geh said:
TheTrisagion said:
No what you are really buying into are workers being maliciously and deleteriously used, even taking their own life (see Foxconn), and you already know the extent of how much they suffer. But the corporations to assuage your guilt, they will make some pathetic donation or act of charity to recompense the harm done.

Says quite a lot about how revolting you are. I guess a "Lord have mercy" is enough for them to cope with.
And how is TheTrisagion going to stop all that?

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Cyrillic said:
Geh said:
TheTrisagion said:

By walking around naked, shoeless, and device-less.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
DeniseDenise said:
Cyrillic said:
Geh said:
TheTrisagion said:

By walking around naked, shoeless, and device-less.
The only thing that would happen is that he would catch a cold or would end up in jail. Nothing would change in those Asian factories.

Those 'fair trade' companies often are as bad as the other companies in exploiting the workers in the third world, so that isn't a good solution either.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Yeah, I know. I was just responding to those who would say that not buying those products would solve anything.

Geh

Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Geh said:
TheTrisagion said:

The way he carries on his life brazenly is there any stopping it?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Geh said:
Cyrillic said:
Geh said:
TheTrisagion said:

Even if TheTrisagion were a saint and a miracle-worker he wouldn't be able to stop it.

Geh

Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Geh said:
Cyrillic said:
Geh said:
TheTrisagion said:

Even if TheTrisagion was a saint and a miracle-worker he wouldn't be able to stop it.
No I mean, since he clearly is an unabashed individual, is there any stopping to his behavior enabling the suffering others are in?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Geh said:
is there any stopping to his behavior enabling the suffering others are in?
For him to enable it wouldn't he have to be capable of disabling it? Vietnamese children don't suffer more or less because of TheTrisagion's attitude.

Geh

Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Geh said:
For him to enable it wouldn't he have to be capable of disabling it? Vietnamese children don't suffer more or less because of TheTrisagion's attitude.
Can we get past your pontificating on how unapologetically irrationally obtuse and depraved you are for a minute?

My god the level of degeneracy on this particular message board requires me to bring a lantern to see if I can find anyone that resembles something of a human being, let alone is one.

There are those in the world treated so harshly because of the demand for excessive consumption of others. His carelessness and utter disregard of mercy does no one any favors, including himself. You and him are very much so responsible for those that are horrifically treated and even allowing those workers to be in a state of perpetual bondage.

The very fact that a sweat shop even exists is extremely alarming. Yet Christians, as usual, remain muted.

And LOL @ "attitude". Are you for real?

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Geh said:
Cyrillic said:
Geh said:
Can we get past your pontificating on how unapologetically irrationally obtuse and depraved you are for a minute?

My god the level of degeneracy on this particular message board requires me to bring a lantern to see if I can find anyone that resembles something of a human being, let alone is one.

There are those in the world treated so harshly because of the demand for excessive consumption of others. His carelessness and utter disregard of mercy does no one any favors, including himself. You and him are very much so responsible for those that are horrifically treated and even allowing those workers to be in a state of perpetual bondage.

The very fact that a sweat shop even exists is extremely alarming. Yet Christians, as usual, remain muted.

Do you wear clothes?  Where do YOU buy them????

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Geh said:
Cyrillic said:
Geh said:

Why so hostile?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Geh said:
how unapologetically irrationally [...] you are for a minute?
That's rich, coming from you.

Geh said:
There are those in the world treated so harshly because of the demand for excessive consumption of others.
You're sitting behind a computer, (probably) have a refrigerator, a tv and a cell phone. You're probably not dressed in rags either. Physician, heal thyself.

Geh said:
You and him are very much so responsible for those that are horrifically treated and even allowing those workers to be in a state of perpetual bondage.

If we are responsible, you are too.

And what if the government would use its powers and step in, demanding the closing of the factories in Vietnam or Laos. What then? The factory would move and the workers over there would lose their meager wage and then they'd have nothing. What then should they say? "Thank you, Geh"?

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
lol, geh is my new favorite forumer. Unless he is shiny. In which case, he is my new old favorite forumer.

In response to geh's post, I don't know if I'm brazen about it. It isn't like I walk around looking for children to throw in sweat shops. I just wear whatever clothes my wife decides she is going to buy me for my birthday and that's that. I really don't feel like it is a profitable use of time and money to research where every consumer item I might buy comes from and where the raw materials for each of those products comes from. Call me lazy, but that isn't my idea of a slammin' fun Friday night.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
I made an entire can of peas but don't want to eat the last 40%. If I throw them out it is wasting food. But if I put them in the fridge it means using energy to cool them, and then more energy to reheat them, etc. What a quandary...