• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Would you feel safe attending liturgy this way?

Anastasia1

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
moving.
Would you feel safe from Covid attending liturgy in person while pregnant and living with high risk family members?

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
Would you feel safe from Covid attending liturgy in person while pregnant and living with high risk family members?
Risk is a very personalized decision, and there is no way to eliminate all risk. If one was careful going to and from the temple (driving is one of the riskiest things we do daily), vaccinated and boosted, and had the ability to mask and distance if the area was under alert for high virus transmission, I think that is responsible and reasonably safe. But if any of those conditions are not met and/or by "high risk" family members you mean immunocompromised, that is a tougher call—there are plenty of saints who put off even monasticism in order to take care of family, so if you are staying home for their sake you are *well* within EO and OO tradition.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Could you talk with your priest and be communed during the week? Is that even possible?

Anastasia1

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
moving.
Could you talk with your priest and be communed during the week? Is that even possible?
Not sure if I am pregnant yet 🙏 but new parish, new priest. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Anastasia1

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
moving.
Risk is a very personalized decision, and there is no way to eliminate all risk. If one was careful going to and from the temple (driving is one of the riskiest things we do daily), vaccinated and boosted, and had the ability to mask and distance if the area was under alert for high virus transmission, I think that is responsible and reasonably safe. But if any of those conditions are not met and/or by "high risk" family members you mean immunocompromised, that is a tougher call—there are plenty of saints who put off even monasticism in order to take care of family, so if you are staying home for their sake you are *well* within EO and OO tradition.
Family masks. Masks are less often mandated here. Hospitalizations in the county are (shockingly (not really)) going up.

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
Family masks. Masks are less often mandated here. Hospitalizations in the county are (shockingly (not really)) going up.
Congrats on the good (potential) family news! And it seems like things are about as safe as they are going to be in your area, so you'll have to make plans accordingly—the coronavirus is now endemic, meaning there is not likely to be a future (in our lifetimes) without it. For a humorous look at the broader topic of risk, this Monday's XKCD webcomic was just released, and it is somewhat pertinent to this thread: https://xkcd.com/2620/ .

Anastasia1

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
moving.
Thank you. I still have some effects from the omicron wave, and live with an elderly lady on chemo, but I was thinking of trying to visit a Saturday liturgy if I can be up earlier enough before I might be pregnant, but read that pregnant women have weaker immune systems.

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
Anastasia, COVID is a flu unless you have stayed home, had food delivered, and have had no contact with the person delivering, they left it at the door,
Masks don't flter out virus, you've most likely been exposed, we all have,

If you haven't been isolated, go t church,

I can't get pregnant, I'm not a girl, Congratulations,,,

Anastasia1

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
moving.
Anastasia, COVID is a flu unless you have stayed home, had food delivered, and have had no contact with the person delivering, they left it at the door,
Masks don't flter out virus, you've most likely been exposed, we all have,

If you haven't been isolated, go t church,

I can't get pregnant, I'm not a girl, Congratulations,,,
I am aware of what covid is. I am aware of what long Covid is. I have not carried a child before.

Christos3

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
I imagine attendance at Saturday's Divine Liturgy is smaller than Sunday's? If this was our situation, I would have my wife attend, wearing an N95 mask, if pregnant. However, we would avoid fellowship (if held inside). And congratulations.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
Well, being a man, I cannot get pregnant, but if I could, yes, in answer to the OP. And if my wife was pregnant...yes.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Luke 1:24
And after those days his wife Elizabeth conceived, and hid herself five months…

I am a woman.
During these times I would hide myself for the duration of pregnancy if I found I held a gift from God within me. Good stewardship. Use the time to quiet oneself before God and draw near to Him in prayer!

God grant you wisdom and peace!

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
Well, being a man, I cannot get pregnant, but if I could, yes, in answer to the OP. And if my wife was pregnant...yes.
Ditto.

As posted upstream, COVID is endemic, which means, short of perpetual hibernation, INESCAPABLE.

Every non-symptomatic exposure (even every non-symptomatic "positive test" means that your immune system is getting a workout and ins being built up and strengthened.

The absolute worse thing to do--immune system strengthening-wise--is to hole up and mask up in a desperate and ultimately futile hope of avoiding exposure. That WILL make you sick...and probably a whole lot sicker than those who have had multiple asymptomatic exposures.

Now for the spiritual aspect: St. Paul warns that those who avoid Eucharistic fellowship fall ill and die...both spiritually and physically.

Consult your Priest and/or Spiritual Father. I doubt that he will disagree with St. Ignatius of Antioch who wrote that the Eucharist is "the medicine of Immoratity".

"Receive ye the Body of Christ; taste ye of the Fountain of Immortality."

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Luke 1:24
And after those days his wife Elizabeth conceived, and hid herself five months…

I am a woman.
During these times I would hide myself for the duration of pregnancy if I found I held a gift from God within me. Good stewardship. Use the time to quiet oneself before God and draw near to Him in prayer!

God grant you wisdom and peace!
And seek counsel and blessing from your priest of course with frequent confession and communion available with your priest as you receive the Fountain of Immortality!

Salpy

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Talk to your doctor.

I know an obstetrician who tells his patients to get the Covid shot, even though women who are expecting are normally not supposed to get vaccinated before giving birth. But he tells them to get vaccinated because Covid can have a horrible effect on the fetus. Many are stillborn. And they are finding now that many babies born during the pandemic are having developmental problems. Look it up.

And the pandemic is not over. In the past week, two people I know have tested positive.

Armenians tend to be anti-mask and anti-vaccine, so you may be exposed when going to an Armenian church. During the summer months, though, not as many people go to church, so you will have an easier time keeping your distance. Also, wear a high-grade mask.

kijabeboy03

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Alexandrian Orthodox Church Abroad
1) Congratulations if they're due!
2) Make sure everyone's vaccinated!
3) Mask up (a given - your mask protects others more than you and you don't know who around you has a weak immune system)
4) Evaluate the situation. I've mostly done reader services at home for the past 2 years because I'm in a similar situation and the local parish is too crowded with unmasked people, but I do go to weekday services on occasion because of the [generally] low attendance.

For my family, once my spouse is fully vaccinated (that's a whole other story!) we'll reevaluate how the pandemic's progressed (looking at local hospitalization/mortality rates) and hopefully be able to go back to regular attendance, but given the irresponsibility of others where we live and my desire not to be a widower before I've even hit middle age it'll really depend on where the pandemic's at by then. (A lot can change in a few months!)

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
I am aware of at least one pregnancy (one VERY high risk) in each of our local Orthodox parishes; and in both cases the couple have been attending without visible (ie, masks) fear.

May God continue to sustain, protect, and nuture His future handmaidens within the wombs of S**** and K******!

hurrrah

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
Because of the effects of isolation from the pandemic, not the virus itself.
I would support it... if the statement
And they are finding now that many babies born during the pandemic are having developmental problems.
itself did not require proof. I guess they lie to us for two years didn't in order to stop doing it on the third.