• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

would you wash a stranger's feet?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
We used to do this at the Protestant church I was a part of. We'd do it once a year, sort of a non-sacramental custom or tradition. It was quite interesting. The church was a pretty tight-knit group of about 90-100 though, so we weren't really strangers. I've heard of Orthodox doing the custom as well, e.g. monastics. It'd be a cool custom to use, if people were willing.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
We used to do this at the Protestant church I was a part of. We'd do it once a year, sort of a non-sacramental custom or tradition. It was quite interesting. The church was a pretty tight-knit group of about 90-100 though, so we weren't really strangers. I've heard of Orthodox doing the custom as well, e.g. monastics. It'd be a cool custom to use, if people were willing.
Bishops perform the washing of the feet, as Jesus instructed the Apostles to follow his lead and the bishops are the successors of the Apostles.

Ashman618

High Elder
Reaction score
Wash your neighbor as yourself... Ummm wait on second thought

yeshuaisiam

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
God commanded for us to do this.  The Orthodox, mostly here and there clergy practice it.  Bishops sometimes do as well.

In my wife's Mennonite church, they all wash each other's feet.  It is very humbling.  The natural "type A" personality in the church is humbled down.  The bishop, humbled to the newest layman.

It's actually very nice.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I would, but I imagine it wouldn't really benefit anyone. Wouldn't it be better to "wash a stranger's feet" by helping them? Like giving money to the homeless, offering them a meal or a ride etc.

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I have a pretty bad aversion to feet. I won't even touch my wife's feet. So a stranger's feet... No way. :p

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I think it important to remember the cultural customs of why this was done.  Is there a modern equivalent?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
JamesR said:
I would, but I imagine it wouldn't really benefit anyone. Wouldn't it be better to "wash a stranger's feet" by helping them? Like giving money to the homeless, offering them a meal or a ride etc.
Not everything has to be uber-practical...

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
If the stranger was into that I mean why not? And cute

Gunnarr

Archon
Reaction score
maybe if i had a towel and water at hand at the time.

if i didnt i think i would have to spit on their feet which does not seem very nice

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
With soap and water and a cloth, I think so. And if they promised not to kick me.  :D