• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Would you wear this medal?

hamster02

Reaction score
Faith
Protestant
Hi, so recently I saw a medal that I had thoughts of buying. On the front was a dove descending and on the back was the Holy Trinity (equal to a venn diagram) with the letters P F S (Pater, filio, spiritus sanctus) being a catholic medal. I have other catholic medals of the Blessed Virgin and Jesus so it being catholic didn't bother me, BUT what did was when I saw this cross underneath the Trinity. I mean I don't know what to make of it since this cross was apparently 'revealed' to a nun. One just wants to be careful about these things
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marian_Cross#/media/File:Miraculous_medal.jpg

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
When I was RC (well, not accepting its heresies), I got such medal (because, at least here in Poland, there are some RC that's their mission giving these medals for free), but I've never worn it, I just kept it in my wallet and then on my desk, as far I remember. But when I found out the story related to it, and that's connected with the heresy of Immaculate Conception and the cult hearts of Jesus and Mary, I gave it to my mother - she's still RC and I thought I couldn't throw it out as there is a Theotokos and a cross.

But it's one more typical thing of such RC "revelations" - "if you wear this, you will be saved"; "if you say this and this prayer, you won't be suffering so much in the purgatory" etc. - yeah, I know it's a kind of simplification, but all these things (including this medal) is a result of treating the faith in a very juridical way, that's leaded to some automatism.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
But my heart belongs to Finland
Dominika said:
But it's one more typical thing of such RC "revelations" - "if you wear this, you will be saved"; "if you say this and this prayer, you won't be suffering so much in the purgatory" etc. - yeah, I know it's a kind of simplification, but all these things (including this medal) is a result of treating the faith in a very juridical way, that's leaded to some automatism.
Nah, it's a result of the RCC always being quick to adopt peasant superstition.

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
hamster02 said:
Hi, so recently I saw a medal that I had thoughts of buying. On the front was a dove descending and on the back was the Holy Trinity (equal to a venn diagram) with the letters P F S (Pater, filio, spiritus sanctus) being a catholic medal. I have other catholic medals of the Blessed Virgin and Jesus so it being catholic didn't bother me, BUT what did was when I saw this cross underneath the Trinity. I mean I don't know what to make of it since this cross was apparently 'revealed' to a nun. One just wants to be careful about these things
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marian_Cross#/media/File:Miraculous_medal.jpg
Hamster, I'm a little confused - the link leads to the Miraculous medal of St. Mary - but it isn't anything as to what you describe.  I wore this as a teen and prayed the prayer on it often. 

Is this the same medal you are describing?  The Holy Theotokos is on the front standing on the serpent. . . with the prayer "Oh Mary, conceived with out sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee."

The back has her emblem (M with a cross) and the sacred heart of Jesus and the her heart with a sword pierced through.  There's also usually stars to represent the apostles.

If this is the medal you are referring to. . . I do not wear it any longer. . .but I am not opposed to it, either.  It does not offend me. . .Our Holy Lady Theotokos is most generous to pray for me. . . anything that reminds me of her and that she prays for me is . . . something that brings thanks.  I do not believe she was conceived with out sin in the thought of she was above humanity and without the fall of man. . . .I do believe that her parents did not sin in the conception of her - that she was conceived as an answer to a promise and in their faith - which is counted as righteousness. . . so her conception can be said to have been without sin, but not without human frailty.  (Though I am sure that is not what was meant. . . or at least not what I was taught back then.)

The only medal I wear now is my crismation cross - and my medical alert.  . . and my house key. 

If this isn't the medal you are referring to, could you please repost the link?  Thanks!

hamster02

Reaction score
Faith
Protestant
Hello quietmorning, ok this is the link to the medal i wanted to buy. I just wanted to describe the type of cross I saw. Sorry for the confusion. God bless
http://www.slabbinck.be/en-US/product/detail.html?id=42943

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Ok, thanks.

That looks a little mixed celtic to me.  The Holy Spirit on the Front - the Trinity on the back with the symbol of St. Mary and the Apostles.

I personally wouldn't wear it, because I simply don't care for it, but I have seen the symbol / emblem of Mary in the Orthodox Church as well as in the RC church.  It is not necessarily Marium. 

I would not disregard it as unworthy to wear, though.  I think this is more a priest question. . . I'm not sure about putting the Holy Spirit out in front as this is. . .that's sort've a little odd to me and hits me a little odd.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
A lot of Orthodox traditionalists beloeve visions like the one that led to this medal are demonic.  I probably wouldn't wear it; much of the time I forget to wear my baptismal cross, so why should I also burden myself with what amounts to an amulet?  Catholic beliefs in the powers of scapulars, medals and so on make me uneasy.

JoeS2

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Dominika said:
When I was RC (well, not accepting its heresies), I got such medal (because, at least here in Poland, there are some RC that's their mission giving these medals for free), but I've never worn it, I just kept it in my wallet and then on my desk, as far I remember. But when I found out the story related to it, and that's connected with the heresy of Immaculate Conception and the cult hearts of Jesus and Mary, I gave it to my mother - she's still RC and I thought I couldn't throw it out as there is a Theotokos and a cross.

Automatic being saved?  I'll see your miraculous medal and raise you a Brown Scapular. 

Sam G

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ACROD
JoeS2 said:
Dominika said:

Automatic being saved?  I'll see your miraculous medal and raise you a Brown Scapular. 
I'll raise you a First Saturdays devotion.

JoeS2

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Sam G said:
JoeS2 said:
Dominika said:

I'll raise you a First Saturdays devotion.
I will call with 9 First Fridays.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Dominika said:
When I was RC (well, not accepting its heresies),
Oh my...

Cyrillic said:
As if Orthodox aren't.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
mike said:
Cyrillic said:
As if Orthodox aren't.
+1

We're just decentralized enough that it stays local superstition, at least most of the time.

But I can think of at lease one instance of Orthodox folk piety in which I can say two words and all manner of debate will break out here.