• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Writings of ancient Jewish iconography?

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Its a well known fact that the Orthodox church derives its iconography from ancient synagogues, but are there any ancient writings by Jews attesting to the use of iconography in ancient synagogues? Rabbinical Jews of course reject this practice so it would be an eye opener.

Mercurius1

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
I look forward to reading about this, the only extant work of Jewish iconography I can think of that’s still around are the synogigue ruins at Dura Europus in Syria

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Mercurius1 said:
I look forward to reading about this, the only extant work of Jewish iconography I can think of that’s still around are the synogigue ruins at Dura Europus in Syria
I've seen multiple other examples other than the Dura Europus. Here's a mosaic of the binding of Isaac from the Beit Alpha synagogue:

Many of these synagogues also have mosaics of the pagan deity Helios, how would the ancient Jews justify this?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Maybe as just a poetic personification of the sun (especially given that the Zodiac, or the Mazzaroth as it's called in the Book of Job)?

Richard III has a Helios allusion, but Shakespeare was not a Greek pagan-

The weary sun hath made a golden set,
And by the bright track of his fiery car,
Gives token of a goodly day tomorrow

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Jackson02 said:
Many of these synagogues also have mosaics of the pagan deity Helios, how would the ancient Jews justify this?

I'd say he's just seen as an antropomorphic representation of the Sun rather than a god. This is clearly the Zodiac.

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Jackson02 said:

I'd say he's just seen as an antropomorphic representation of the Sun rather than a god. This is clearly the Zodiac.
Interesting, Rabbinical judaism would never approve of this today,

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
RaphaCam said:
Jackson02 said:

Today a priest has shown me similar Orthodox fresco in one of Georgian churches: in the centre was Christ, and around Him, in circle, there were zodiac signs.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Dominika said:
Today a priest has shown me similar Orthodox fresco in one of Georgian churches: in the centre was Christ, and around Him, in circle, there were zodiac signs.
I don't know what to think about that as a Christian, but as a curious person, this is amazing.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Dominika said:
RaphaCam said:
Jackson02 said:

I don't doubt that syncretism went into it for some, but it does make sense from a Biblical perspective:

Job 38:31-33 said:
“Can you bind the chains of the Pleiades
    or loose the cords of Orion?
Can you lead forth the Mazzaroth in their season,
    or can you guide the Bear with its children?
Do you know the ordinances of the heavens?
    Can you establish their rule on the earth?"
"Mazzaroth" is a probable reference to the Zodiac.

Faithseeker

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Jackson02 said:
RaphaCam said:
Jackson02 said:

Interesting, Rabbinical judaism would never approve of this today,
Actually, I have to respectfully disagree. The zodiac has Kabbalistic interpretations and for this reason, the zodiac is still referred to and studied through this medium of interpretation by Rabbinic Judaism.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
How Rabbinical is the Kabbalah, though?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
It's ingrained in Hasidism, yes. But is Hasidism the whole of modern Rabbinical Judaism?

Then again, maybe I'm just chasing shadows.

Faithseeker

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Coming from a Jewish background, I can honestly answer yes. Kabbalah is studied in every realm of Jewish seminaries and yeshivos - Chassidic, Charedi, Conservative, Reform and Reconstructionist.

It varies in each as to the degree in which it is studied but it is definitely a foundational study in Rabbinical Judaism.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Faithseeker said:
Coming from a Jewish background, I can honestly answer yes. Kabbalah is studied in every realm of Jewish seminaries and yeshivos - Chassidic, Charedi, Conservative, Reform and Reconstructionist.

It varies in each as to the degree in which it is studied but it is definitely a foundational study in Rabbinical Judaism.
Ok. I'll defer to you.

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faithseeker said:

I come from a conservative Jewish background and my Rabbi didn't study the talmud. The reform Jews also reject the Talmud as overly zealous

Faithseeker

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
That's very odd because one of the mandatory requirements from Conservative seminaries is Talmudic study. Not on the same level as Orthodox but considering the fact that Conservative Judaism is bound to the laws of kashrus in the synagogue at minimum (for example), Conservative Rabbis do study Talmud. Reform seminaries also study Talmud but do so as a pick and choose if you believe the teachings are important for today.

This topic is about iconography in Judaism and it was pointed out the topic of the zodiac and its relationship to Kabbalah. Kabbalah is indeed studied, even just in passing in minute amounts in both Reform and Conservative seminaries.

I went to a Reform seminary that was also connected to JTS - the Conservative seminary and we were taught Kabbalah and Talmud.  As were the students in other seminaries that were not yeshivos (Orthodox schools).

Faithseeker

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Additionally, in regards to Jewish iconography, we simply need to look at the building of the tabernacle and the Temple, revealed by God that includes the Cherubim, etc.