• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Your signature scent

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Now, every message board I've been involved in has had its silly threads, such as "What are you wearing?" or "What's in your purse?"

I've wanted to start one of those threads randomly, but seeing as how the OC.net demographic is heavily male, I didn't think I would get a lot of response on: "What is your daily skincare routine?"  ;D

I thought I'd settle on asking about perfumes/colognes and see if we can get a thread going. Many men and women have some sort of opinion on this, so we'll see...

(Plus, I can steal recs from the guys for my own research! But I swear, that is not my original intention in posting the thread.)

I'm a perfume nut. I wore perfume/body spray years before I wore any makeup. I'm fairly cheap in my attitude towards purchasing makeup or clothing, but with perfume, I'll spend a little more money.

If I had to say I had one signature scent, it would be Gucci's Envy Me. That brings back a lot of memories of my freshman year of college, and I associate it with a certain crush (I'd wear it when hanging out with him), but I still love to wear it today.

However, I've got a few others that I wear on a regular basis. I love floral scents, particularly rose, and water/aqua-type scents. Right now, on rotation, I've got Yves Saint Laurent's Parisienne, L'Occitane's The Bergamot (love the scent and LOVE bergamot tea), and the Body Shop's Water Lily eau de toilette.

The first perfume I ever wanted was Versace Woman, which was years and years ago. I had a sampler that I made last for a while. My sister purchased a bottle for me two years ago, for my birthday, but for some odd reason, the formula "turned" after a year. Sadly, I had to throw it out.

I wore Viktor and Rolf's Flowerbomb to my wedding....I haven't worn it too much since, since I want to associate that scent with my wedding day (I have very strong scent memory and I tend to refrain from using any sort of hair spray, perfume, lotion, etc. after my mind associates it with a person, place, or event). I'm starting to use it a bit more, though.

I can go on for hours. I'm no perfume snob, but I'm just starting to get into trying to pick out the notes with my nose.

Okay, so...heh, let's see how this goes... :)

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
I prefer the softer scents - Angel is a current favorite.

Don't tell anyone, but, I buy the $10 version at Walgreen's!  
Can't afford the real stuff.

;D

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Depends on the season.  Here are some mainstays though:

Truefitt & Hill - Grafton
Penhaligon's - Douro

Penhaligon's - English Fern
Penhaligon's - Blenheim Bouquet
Penhaligon's - Opus 1870
Geo. F. Trumper - GFT
Taylor's of Old Bond St. - Sandalwood
Crabtree & Evelyn - Sienna (prefer the shave cream/soap though)
D.H. Harris - Arlington
Castle Forbes - Cedarwood & Sandalwood

John of the North said:
"Marlborough" by George F. Trumper.
I was typing when you were.  Nicely done.  One of my favorite Trumper's, although it fades fast on me.

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't anybody use Old Spice or Aqua Velva anymore?

Seth84

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Woolite for extra darks.  ;-)

brandb

Reaction score
Curious- Britney Spears.

Does body spray count? I like Moonlight Path by B & BW. I can wear that
stuff like it'll never go out of style. XD

Reaction score
brandb said:
Curious- Britney Spears.

Is that the one that smells distinctly like cotton candy/fairy floss?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I work constantly with perfume. I never not smell fresh. Even after four hours in a smoky bar.

People will surely wonder if I am a Saint when I die, as my corpse continues to waft the "time released" micro-capsulated perfume that makes up at least 8% of my body weight.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
FrChris said:
LOL!

I DO!  Seriously!  I LOVE the scent of Aqua Velva!!!!

I know it's a guy thing...but, every once in a while....I put some on....when I want to be daring!  ;-)

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
For the record, I am not averse to celebrity perfumes, as much as I rant about them. I was overwhelmed and in-love with Kim Kardashian's first before, because the gardenia note was awesome. I just don't tell people about it, though.  :)

Glad to see so many responses! Cog, I think you could give me a run for my money in the scent department. I have a lot of them, but many of them are sample sizes because it's hard for me to commit to just one. I purchase the sample sizes or pester the people at the perfume counters for those. Or you can get the small vials at Sephora if you ask the ladies nicely.

Liza, I've never smelled the perfume "copies" so to speak! Do you think it's the same or do you think there are extra scent notes thrown in here or there?

And yes, body spray counts. :)

And Mr. Ismi uses the Old Spice spray once in a while. (He will KICK me if he knows I'm posting about this ;) ) I have purchased samples for him to try and he does not like any. of. them. I actually think what he uses is fine, and I definitely associate that with him....actually, now that I'm typing this, I have no idea why I am purchasing cologne samples.  ;)

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
4711 Echt Kolnisch Wasser.  And I bathe daily.  I find that helps the most at combating malodorous odors.

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
FrChris said:
LOL!

I DO!  Seriously!  I LOVE the scent of Aqua Velva!!!!

I know it's a guy thing...but, every once in a while....I put some on....when I want to be daring!  ;-)

Really? Wow! I find that very ...intriguing!

I still use the Old Spice, but that's because I'm a Luddite in many more things than just computer technology. I know I smell like my grandpa, but that's a lot better than how I'd smell without it.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
I work constantly with perfume. I never not smell fresh. Even after four hours in a smoky bar.

People will surely wonder if I am a Saint when I die, as my corpse continues to waft the "time released" micro-capsulated perfume that makes up at least 8% of my body weight.
So this (Clean: Fresh Laundry) http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P95424&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5673 should be your birthday present for next year, perhaps?

Obviously I'll have a year to find a suitable male version.

britgirl

Reaction score
I like woody scents best. I like to buy Indian Sandalwood oil from West Indian or African vendors at fairs and wear that...and it's way cheaper than any perfume.
Anything that smells like candy is a no-go. I don't like to smell edible...
My sister bought me "Curious" for my 18th birthday and I sprayed it and nearly died. It was immediately handed back to her (she's younger) and she uses it now.

My favorite perfumes:
KenzoAmour's "Indian Holi" was my absolute favorite before it was discontinued.  :mad:
I was given Dior's "Poison" at age 12 by a family friend...love it, but it was definitely heavy for middle school.
"Butterfly Garden" (the perfume, not the body spray) by Bath and Body Works is really good. One of the few scents I can tolerate by Bath and Body Works.

For guys:
"Burberry Weekend" is absolutely wonderful. :D
Anything by Giorgio Armani for guys is awesome, too.

I'm that weird kid in Sephora that stands in the perfume aisle and picks up every single bottle and sniffs it.

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Cog, I think you could give me a run for my money in the scent department. I have a lot of them, but many of them are sample sizes

Same here.  Traditional shaving companies often include requested samples with orders, so when I'm ordering razor blades, soaps/creams, etc. I just get replenishments. Additionally, you can sometimes buy large samples from companies such as Penhaligon's and Trumpers.  

britgirl said:
I like woody scents best. I like to buy Indian Sandalwood oil from West Indian or African vendors at fairs and wear that...and it's way cheaper than any perfume.
  Great point. 

Reaction score
Cognomen said:
IsmiLiora said:
Cog, I think you could give me a run for my money in the scent department. I have a lot of them, but many of them are sample sizes

Same here.  Traditional shaving companies often include requested samples with orders, so when I'm ordering razor blades, soaps/creams, etc. I just get replenishments. Additionally, you can sometimes buy large samples from companies such as Penhaligon's and Trumpers.  

britgirl said:
  Great point. 
Where's a good place to get traditional shaving products, &c.?

I am sick of the barely-shaved look I get after using cartridge razors.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
IsmiLiora said:
Liza, I've never smelled the perfume "copies" so to speak! Do you think it's the same or do you think there are extra scent notes thrown in here or there?
Well....as I have NEVER actually bought or even smelled the real thing.....all I can say is that the lady's in church easily recognize the scent as "Angel"....and I only confirm their inquiries.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
So I guess it is recognizable enough to them!  :)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
Cognomen said:
IsmiLiora said:

britgirl said:
  Great point. 

This has been discussed recently.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,1540.msg659913.html#msg659913

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
Cognomen said:
IsmiLiora said:

britgirl said:
  Great point. 

Geesh! Razors!  ::)

Just use a blowtorch like me and your Old Spice-using grandfathers do!

;)

brandb

Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
brandb said:
Curious- Britney Spears.

Is that the one that smells distinctly like cotton candy/fairy floss?
Probably (it doesn't smell that way to me?). It comes in a blue bottle.

Reaction score
orthonorm said:
akimori makoto said:
Cognomen said:
IsmiLiora said:

britgirl said:
  Great point. 

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,1540.msg659913.html#msg659913
Nice, thanks!

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Achronos said:
IsmiLiora said:
Achronos said:
This thread is so disappointing.
Enlighten us, oh master!
Some of the cologne choices here.

I would faint if someone wears Acqua Di Gio.
Actually, the woman's version is on my wish list...wait, are you mocking or lauding that choice? ;)

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Achronos said:
IsmiLiora said:
Achronos said:
Enlighten us, oh master!

Actually, the woman's version is on my wish list...wait, are you mocking or lauding that choice? ;)
LOL mocking. I can't stand aquatics.

My signature scent is the panty dropper of all colognes. Unfourtnatley it's out of circulation, and I'm running on my last bottle ;(

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
orthonorm said:
akimori makoto said:

Nice, thanks!
Add Vintage Blades and West Coast Shaving (where I usually get my blades) to the ones mentioned in that thread.  Additionally, you can purchase direct from some of the places I listed among my scents.  I'm sure most regularly ship in the Anglosphere.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Achronos said:
IsmiLiora said:
Achronos said:
IsmiLiora said:
Achronos said:
Enlighten us, oh master!

We can't be friends, then. Half of my wish list is aquatics. Pucci Acqua among them. LOVE the scent on men, too.

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cognomen said:
FrChris said:
I know I smell like my grandpa, but that's a lot better than how I'd smell without it.
You may spell like your grandpa, but JohnOfTheNorth and I smell like our great and great-great grandpas. 
Lol. Truth.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Achronos said:
IsmiLiora said:
Achronos said:
IsmiLiora said:
Achronos said:
Enlighten us, oh master!

We can't be friends, then. Half of my wish list is aquatics. Pucci Acqua among them. LOVE the scent on men, too.
You and my woman both then. Seriously I can't leave the house without being relegated to Polo Blue, which is such a cringe worthy scent. Atleast Chanel Bleu is a step above it.

Anytime I like a scent on a woman that turns me on I can never find the name.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
BTW my guilty pleasure on a woman is that Paris Hilton one. I know every girl practically wears it, but I like the scent alot. Reminds me of some good times.