• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Yuns Guys Don't Measure Distance in Hours?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I recently saw a video of South Western Pennsylvanian peculiarities, and one of them was that we measure distance in hours. For example, instead of saying "it's about 100 miles away," we'll instead say "it's about a 2 hour drive". Don't yuns guys in other parts of the country do that to?

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
LOL!

I was just talking to a friend of mine down here, a born-and-bred Marylander, who asked me how far Columbus, OH was from Baltimore.  I did some quick math in head and said, "Oh, about six and a half hours, give or take a half-hour".

"I mean how many miles," he replied.

"Hmm...I guess about 400 or so, going by the time it would take," I reasoned.

He didn't believe me, pulled out his Blackberry and googled it.  

According to GoogleMaps, following I-70... 409 miles.

He looked at me and shook his head, saying, "You're weird, but you're a useful weird."

What's the name of this video, btw?

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
That's pretty common in Southern Missouri, too.  Sometimes it's mentally easier to count down the hours of driving through miles of meth-addled trailers and broken down cars rather than watching the miles add up.

Reaction score
I usually give it in both.

Example:

"How far away is the college from your house?"

"About 16 miles, so about 20 minutes."

I usually like to give both, because depending on the route a person is taking (highway verses back-roads), it could be vary in time.

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
I hear it both in hours or miles.  I don't mind either.  Usually the only time miles sort of matter is if you are trying to figure out how much poorer you'll be after driving there and using expensive gasoline.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
EofK said:
That's pretty common in Southern Missouri, too.  Sometimes it's mentally easier to count down the hours of driving through miles of meth-addled trailers and broken down cars rather than watching the miles add up.
HandmaidenofGod said:
I usually give it in both.

Example:

"How far away is the college from your house?"

"About 16 miles, so about 20 minutes."

I usually like to give both, because depending on the route a person is taking (highway verses back-roads), it could be vary in time.
username! said:
I hear it both in hours or miles.  I don't mind either.  Usually the only time miles sort of matter is if you are trying to figure out how much poorer you'll be after driving there and using expensive gasoline.
Glad to know that we're not peculiar then on the point :)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
mike said:
Try kilometres.
That's what those silly runners use when they talk about how far they run, right? Like they can't say 3.1 miles, they have to say 5k?  :p

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I recently saw a video of South Western Pennsylvanian peculiarities, and one of them was that we measure distance in hours. For example, instead of saying "it's about 100 miles away," we'll instead say "it's about a 2 hour drive". Don't yuns guys in other parts of the country do that to?
We Michiganders measure distance in time. I've rarely heard anyone tell me how many miles away something is. Somebody asks for directions here: "Sir, do you know how far it is to Lansing?" and the reply (at least from where I live) "Oh its about 90 minutes away." "But how many miles?" "I told you already! About 90 minutes!" If someone tells me to go so many miles, I have to ask how many minutes it takes.

Vzldrb

Elder
Reaction score
Haha, I thought everyone else used time too.. Wow!

Too much time in the Valley, I suppose...?

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Sure. Out west in Montana and other states we measure distance by time all the time.  Times are also variable depending on if it's a Montanan or visitor driving, weather conditions (longer in snow) and if the route is on the plains or through mountains.

Ebor

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
We give the distance in hours and "with heavy traffic" hours. So from Seattle to Portland is "3.5-5 hours, depending upon traffic."

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Whenever I'm told how long it should take ("It's 90 minutes away."), I mentally make a bet to beat that time.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Los Angelenos do that, but then again they don't trust air they can't see either.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
No, distances are too short for that. Within two hours I can be in two other countries.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I think it's an American thing in general.  In a big country, dreams stay with you...and you measure distance in driving time.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Antonious Nikolas said:
I think it's an American thing in general.  In a big country, dreams stay with you...and you measure distance in driving time.
Bravo, sir!

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Antonious Nikolas said:
While in a small country like Greece, the only consistent expression you'll meet is 'a cigarette away' (implying walking, not mechanical locomotion). Beyond that, given city traffic/countryside erratic conditions, it's all 'you'll get there when you get there'/'whenever, dude'. ;)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score

For the map they gave me the cities seem strange, but the dark red in southcentral PA is spot on as that's where I grew up

yourmap.png

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I think miles ~ I recently traveled well, about 1200 miles round trip ~ that is about 500 miles to the destination and back~ some people say they can do it in 8 hours one way, but it takes some times 12 or 14 hours for me ~ I don't drive as fast as some ~ the road MPH may be 70 or 65 but I may feel that certain parts can not be safely driven at that speed ```

Melodist

Archon
Reaction score
I measure distance in time, the main exception to that would be for purposes of determining when/where to stop for gas.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Time. I have no idea how far away things actually are. Plus, I grew up in metro ATL. Distance means nothing. 😁

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Distance. If I want to know the distance, I ask how far a place is. If I want to know how long, I ask how long it takes to get there.