• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

New profile posts

I just reread your post, thank you for bringing that to my attention ```

your brother in Christ ```
Hello everyone!
Nice to meet you all! I am Romanian Orthodox and very interested in theology, my growth in faith starting since I was a small acolyte. I have been blessed to visit both Athos and Jerusalem, which have helped me grow in my faith. Beside theology, I also like airplanes and bellringing! If anyone knows how to ring Russian bells, I am vey interested on the topic.
Your friend in Christ
Pilgrim of Athos+
As I mentioned in the prayer forum thread, my father-in-law (which I use only for distinction here - he never treated me as less than a son) has entered his eternal reward. As his illness sidetracked him from his very active ministry, he began to make videos about subjects close to him as his illness progressed (and his death approached): https://soulfoodforlife.com/
Britney Spears seems a modern-day Judy Garland or Mickey Rooney, someone that showbiz abused/overworked from a young age so she's crazy.
Arachne
Arachne
Swap 'she's crazy' for 'she must be punished for wanting out of the system', and you got something.
I just started to read 'The Witchwood Crown,' by Tad Williams, again. Pretty good so far. Language is a tiny bit purple, but I'm willing to keep trying.
I really need to stop ordering all these books that I see in footnotes, mostly out of fear that they'll be unavailable if I wait to buy them later. On the other hand, experience says that fear is justified ๐Ÿ˜ถ
แƒ—แƒฃ แƒ›แƒ” แƒจแƒ”แƒ›แƒ”แƒซแƒšแƒ แƒฅแƒแƒ แƒ—แƒฃแƒšแƒแƒ“ แƒกแƒแƒฃแƒ‘แƒแƒ แƒ˜, แƒ•แƒ˜แƒ“แƒ แƒ” แƒ˜แƒœแƒขแƒ”แƒ แƒœแƒ”แƒขแƒ˜แƒก แƒ—แƒแƒ แƒฏแƒ˜แƒ›แƒœแƒ˜แƒก แƒ’แƒแƒ›แƒแƒงแƒ”แƒœแƒ”แƒ‘แƒ, แƒ”แƒก แƒ˜แƒก แƒ˜แƒฅแƒœแƒ”แƒ‘แƒ, แƒ แƒแƒกแƒแƒช แƒ›แƒ” แƒ•แƒ˜แƒขแƒงแƒแƒ“แƒ˜: แƒ›แƒแƒฎแƒแƒ แƒฃแƒšแƒ˜ แƒ•แƒแƒ , แƒ แƒแƒ› แƒแƒ› แƒ”แƒœแƒ˜แƒก แƒ“แƒแƒฌแƒ”แƒ แƒ แƒจแƒ”แƒ›แƒ˜แƒซแƒšแƒ˜แƒ, แƒ•แƒ˜แƒ“แƒ แƒ” แƒแƒœแƒšแƒแƒ˜แƒœ แƒ—แƒแƒ แƒฏแƒ˜แƒ›แƒœแƒ˜แƒก แƒกแƒแƒญแƒ˜แƒ แƒแƒ”แƒ‘แƒ!
hecma925
hecma925
แƒ›แƒแƒฎแƒแƒ แƒฃแƒšแƒ˜ แƒ•แƒแƒ , แƒ แƒแƒ› แƒแƒ แƒช แƒแƒœแƒšแƒแƒ˜แƒœ แƒ—แƒแƒ แƒฏแƒ˜แƒ›แƒแƒœแƒ˜ แƒ›แƒญแƒ˜แƒ แƒ“แƒ”แƒ‘แƒ. แƒซแƒแƒšแƒ˜แƒแƒœ แƒ›แƒแƒ แƒขแƒ˜แƒ•แƒ˜แƒ แƒ›แƒฎแƒแƒšแƒแƒ“ แƒ˜แƒ›แƒ˜แƒก แƒ’แƒแƒ›แƒแƒงแƒ”แƒœแƒ”แƒ‘แƒ, แƒ แƒแƒช แƒ›แƒ” แƒ•แƒ˜แƒชแƒ˜. แƒ—แƒฃ แƒ แƒแƒ›แƒ” แƒ•แƒ˜แƒชแƒ˜, แƒ”แƒก แƒ”แƒก แƒ”แƒœแƒแƒ แƒแƒฅ แƒ“แƒ แƒ›แƒ˜แƒกแƒ˜ แƒซแƒแƒšแƒ˜แƒแƒœ แƒ›แƒแƒ แƒขแƒ˜แƒ•แƒ˜ แƒ“แƒแƒ›แƒฌแƒ”แƒ แƒšแƒแƒ‘แƒ.
Hello! :) I saw you made an update/post about codex Alexandrinus and its potential usefulness for a translation from the Book of Psalms, did anything come of that?
RaphaCam
RaphaCam
Unfortunately I stopped my project. I wish to get back to it anytime, but this could take either months or years... It's to Portuguese, though, and I actually used many sources, the Codex Alexandrinus being just one.
M
Michael Potamopotos
Thanks for your comment. Would it be OK if I emailed you? I just handed in my master's thesis in theology on the Septuagint, and I'd love to ask you some questions regarding Codex Alexandrinus and the published versions of that document, I saw you wrote a bit about that/asked some questions and I'd be curious to see if you found any answers or good sources? :)
RaphaCam
RaphaCam
Sure, go on!
Reactions: Dominika and Stinky
hecma925
hecma925
There is a star of David on the door.
LizaSymonenko
LizaSymonenko
The Lord knocks on all doors.
hecma925
hecma925
True. It's an odd and deliberate choice of the artist to make considering most derivatives of Warner Sallman's Christ at Heart's Door (itself derived from William Holman Hunt's The Light of the World) don't have a doorknob or opener and if they do, they're rather plain; the message being the door is opened from the inside. Adding a hexagram is just weird.
I misattributed the term "ethnocultural triumphalism" in a locked thread to bwallace23350, the thread's creator. Credit goes to Saxon. Thank you!
I believe scripture and the creed. Plus I believe in bishops and that Communion is the true body and blood of Christ, so I'm not a Protestant. That's good enough.
"If Tarantino had written a book in the Bible, it would have been the Book of Judges."
  • Haha
Reactions: Fr. George
Asteriktos
Asteriktos
ima watch one of his movies one of these days ๐Ÿ˜‡
Ainnir
Ainnir
Truth. Have seen 5, and parts of 2 others. Iโ€™m not sure I could handle them now, though.
Huh. Ebay gave me a $15 coupon, and I'm not even sure why. So I got a book out of it and all I had to pay was the .80 cents sales tax.
Reactions: Ainnir
LukeDM
LukeDM
What book did you get?
Arachne
Arachne
Ebay do that from time to time, mostly around Christmas. I was given a ยฃ5 code earlier and used it to get the young one's Christmas jumper at half price.
Asteriktos
Asteriktos
The book was "The First Seven Ecumenical Councils (325-787): Their History and Theology" by Leo D. Davis
Reactions: LukeDM
Trying to watch a documentary about Mount Athos on Youtoube, and I got 3 ads (actually the same one repeated) for Tiffany diamonds in like 15 seconds. Weird.
Reactions: Tannhouser
Asteriktos
Asteriktos
"diamonds are forever" :unsure:
hecma925
hecma925
"Diamonds are a girl's best friend," but women are not allowed on Athos. Unless they are the Theotokos and she doesn't need diamonds.
Alpo2
Alpo2
"Could this be a sign?? I've heard of God working in mysterious ways, but does God work through youtube?"

God might be working through videos but I'm pretty sure it's Devil that works through comments.
Orthodoxy is a different ethos - extended family with yiayias/babas, and village life - from Jesuitical and Opus Dei-like semi-secret societies in the secular world.
I voted by provisional ballot on election day... though I just looked and according to the state of PA I didn't vote at all. Very 2020.
Ainnir
Ainnir
That stinks.
Asteriktos
Asteriktos
update: they did eventually send me a letter (envelope was dated Dec. 22nd) saying that it was counted, and it does show up as counted now
Reactions: Ainnir