• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

New profile posts

It's tea time.
Reactions: RaphaCam
Arachne
Arachne
It's always tea time somewhere in the world.
Reactions: Ainnir
V
Vladimir Al-Masih
What kind of tea?
Ainnir
Ainnir
The kind that offers refuge from the storms of life and promises another (hopefully better) day. :) But literally speaking, chai, chamomile, and green. In that order.
Father bless,

Does this recent thread belong in Politics?

Thank you.

RaphaCam
RaphaCam
I posted this in good faith believing it to be the same kind of discussion about the intersection between church and world politics that's going on in the public fora regarding the MP, but on the other side. If any corrections should be made so that a summary of important leaked documents about the All-Holy Ecumenical See can be publicly displayed.
Just a reminder to be yourself! Be how God wants us to be! Do not listen to people who want to change you if you are not broken! DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM!!! I lived a hard life, full of lies. I've been put down MANY many times, they mocked me for everything they could, my face, my hair, my personality, MY FAITH, my choices. But i survived, and i am here, alive! If i can go through this, you can as well. Christ is Risen!
In preparing to enter Great and Holy Week, I ask forgiveness from all of you for my pride, arrogance, rudeness, and meanness over the past years, and in particular during this year up to the present day.
I repent of my participation in the politics forum over these past years. To all those I may have hurt or offended with my words, forgive me. Nothing I've ever posted has been spiritually beneficial for anyone here, including myself.

Is there a way to have my access permanently removed from the politics forum? If so, I'd like to request that. Thank you.
Hi Bob.
M
mcarmichael
I have an Uncle Bob,let me ask you a question, is there a St. Bob? He isn't Orthodox but he might be tickled. He's either Methodist or Presbyterian, but he's still improving, I think more than he's improved in 50 years before.
Pravoslavbob
Pravoslavbob
There is at least one St. Rupert (which is the German form of Robert). The one I am thinking of was the bishop of Salzburg in Austria who lived in the seventh and early eighth centuries.
M
mcarmichael
Good enough, thanks!
Western arrogance is the main reason why so many people in the West turn a blind eye to Moscow. They're so tired of all the chauvinism and egocentrism they're raised in that they start idealising an alternative as soon as their bubble gets burst. Been there, done that.
RaphaCam
RaphaCam
The best way to become less arrogant is, as usual, repentance. Let's hope this is not a painful process.
sestir
sestir
Yes, we have been indoctrinated in schools, TV, football clubs and what not, to confess that "The West" be superior, or risk coming across as a whiner with a complaining attitude. I think a first step is to stop using "The West" with a definition of "a large region which includes the USA and which is better than other places; you do the pick".
I need to get better at making people repent. :Å
RaphaCam
RaphaCam
I think you are right!
New blog post about making time for what is important
B
Bizzlebin
I struggle with multi-day migraines but have thankfully found some triggers, including sulfites: sometimes they're obvious (eg, sodium metabisulfite), sometimes they're tricky (eg, molasses not listed as sulfured), and sometimes they're unlisted completely (eg, dried fruit (sulfur dioxide), reconstituted brown sugar (sulfured molasses), or sourdough bread (with mineral oil pan lube...sterilized with sulfur dioxide)).
B
Bizzlebin
I've been seeing that St-John-Chrysostom-attributed quote for years but have not been abe to find it—can you source it somehow?
SAINT GAVRIIL THE CRAZY IN CHRIST:

"Ah, Georgia, my country, you will melt like a candle after the Russians come! But then you will be crowned. The Russians will cause ruin. "

When asked why Georgia would melt like a candle, he replied:
"From here, Russian troops will move to Turkey!"
10 mins is the perfect snooze setting.
M
mcarmichael
Two right turns beats two left turns.
M
mcarmichael
Today I snoozed more than six times. Yet I arrived to work very nearly on time and it was a productive day. But only because I snoozed six times for 10 minutes. Usually only once is a nuff for regular jetlag.
B
Bizzlebin
I was never interested in joining, but this tacks well with my brief readings into the subject. More concerning are the wild stories people come up with, even in so-called "Orthodox" groups. I think it speaks to such groups's lack of spiritual sobriety—which in turn reveals that *they* are the ones who are not who they purport to be!
dcommini
dcommini
@Bizzlebin Truly, I never encountered anything wild in the various lodges that I visited, though I did often hear of certain things that were definitely frowned upon by the organization as a whole.
B
Bizzlebin
Quite the adventure! I've been in AK multiple times (SIA days, unfortunately) and NM quite a lot (mostly monastery visits) but I'm near the Atlantic Ocean now. Glad everyone's ok!
dcommini
dcommini
@Bizzlebin , it was indeed an adventure! I've still yet to visit an Orthodox monastery out here in NM, but God willing, I will in the future. Thank you for your kind words, and taking the time to read my blog!
Irened
Irened
I enjoyed your blog and this post. I'm especially dealing with great suffering and asking the Lord to help me endure. How can you tell the difference between the Fatherly chastisement of God vs the suffering felt when He departs from a sinner?
dcommini
dcommini
@Irened I don't believe that God departs from us when we sin, but waits patiently as the father waited patiently for his prodigal son to return. I believe that the suffering felt is that we separated ourselves from God and we departed from Him - not the other way around. We need only to repent and return again to Him.

I'm not a priest, and I could be entirely wrong.
Reactions: Irened
See you in another life, folks
Russia started the invasion of Ukraine. The solution to this war is simple and easy, all we have to do is to want to do it. The solution is the BOGORODICINAIA prayer canon: Solutia la acest război este simpla și la îndemână.
I've been laid off. I want to be a remote proofreader and/or copy editor.
  • Sad
Reactions: Stinky
M
mcarmichael
...only if the money is right. You have other, more important things to do.
M
mcarmichael
Btw, do you need a license to do that? I'm beginning to worry I may one day need an electric voicebox or maybe worse.
Taking a week-long remote copy-editing test for a wonderful job prospect, working for a book publisher. I want to join the Great Resignation and go completely remote.
Serge
Serge
The book publisher is working out - I passed the test - but they're going very slowly, giving me small tasks to do.

New hot prospect: full time, all remote, for a distinguished nonprofit to do with medical doctors. Passed the screening video interview (employment agency), first-round video interview (with the company's HR person), and editing test. Final, second-round interview will be the day after tomorrow.
Serge
Serge
Got the remote jobs, both full-time with the nonprofit and part-time with the book publisher. Been working at the latter and start the former in about a fortnight.
Reactions: Ainnir
M
mcarmichael
Gig work is the way to go. Would you hire a corporate employee?
M
mcarmichael
Sun Tzu said:
"This is war.
It is the most important skill in the nation.
It is the way of life and death, of survival and destruction.
By no means is it to be neglected."
(bad English)

Look at Sun Tzu a lot of Westerners like it, it has some subtler points but you have to study it. I have a favorite English translation, it's like a literal interlinear and a publisher's copyrighted English translation next to it.