• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

New profile posts

I misattributed the term "ethnocultural triumphalism" in a locked thread to bwallace23350, the thread's creator. Credit goes to Saxon. Thank you!
I believe scripture and the creed. Plus I believe in bishops and that Communion is the true body and blood of Christ, so I'm not a Protestant. That's good enough.
"If Tarantino had written a book in the Bible, it would have been the Book of Judges."
  • Haha
Reactions: Fr. George
Asteriktos
Asteriktos
ima watch one of his movies one of these days 😇
Ainnir
Ainnir
Truth. Have seen 5, and parts of 2 others. I’m not sure I could handle them now, though.
Huh. Ebay gave me a $15 coupon, and I'm not even sure why. So I got a book out of it and all I had to pay was the .80 cents sales tax.
Reactions: Ainnir
LukeDM
LukeDM
What book did you get?
Arachne
Arachne
Ebay do that from time to time, mostly around Christmas. I was given a £5 code earlier and used it to get the young one's Christmas jumper at half price.
Asteriktos
Asteriktos
The book was "The First Seven Ecumenical Councils (325-787): Their History and Theology" by Leo D. Davis
Reactions: LukeDM
Trying to watch a documentary about Mount Athos on Youtoube, and I got 3 ads (actually the same one repeated) for Tiffany diamonds in like 15 seconds. Weird.
Reactions: Tannhouser
Asteriktos
Asteriktos
"diamonds are forever" :unsure:
hecma925
hecma925
"Diamonds are a girl's best friend," but women are not allowed on Athos. Unless they are the Theotokos and she doesn't need diamonds.
Alpo2
Alpo2
"Could this be a sign?? I've heard of God working in mysterious ways, but does God work through youtube?"

God might be working through videos but I'm pretty sure it's Devil that works through comments.
Orthodoxy is a different ethos - extended family with yiayias/babas, and village life - from Jesuitical and Opus Dei-like semi-secret societies in the secular world.
hecma925
hecma925
There was a book?
Serge
Serge
"The Exorcist" was first a novel. I don't know why the priest was Greek either.
ialmisry
ialmisry
I remember being creeped out by the picture on the cover of the paperback.
Reactions: Serge
I voted by provisional ballot on election day... though I just looked and according to the state of PA I didn't vote at all. Very 2020.
Ainnir
Ainnir
That stinks.
Asteriktos
Asteriktos
update: they did eventually send me a letter (envelope was dated Dec. 22nd) saying that it was counted, and it does show up as counted now
Praying that my one and only comes back. A diamond ring awaits her.
Reactions: Stinky
Serge
Serge
I made a horrible mistake. She's special-needs from a childhood accident so I wrongly assumed she can't marry so I broke up with her. She has a rebound boyfriend.
hecma925
hecma925
Ooof, that sucks.
Serge
Serge
I'm just marking time until the big checkout. If I could I'd move heaven and earth to bring her back. I do prostrations every day in repentance.
Reactions: Stinky
I’d like to be able to sleep now. :cautious:
Asteriktos
Asteriktos
Ever try asmr? Apparently works wonders for some people
Ainnir
Ainnir
No, it didn’t even occur to me. ☺ I’ll look into it!
Ainnir
Ainnir
Finally looked into, lol! I'm not sure this is a thing for me. It seems like you already need to experience it for the triggers to work.
Is it even possible to do business without social media anymore? Asking for a friend...
hecma925
hecma925
Yes, if your friend is fine with a hyper-localized (word of mouth or local advertising) or niche (ads in specific magazines/mail order) market of potential customers.
So far today, we’ve talked about where the spiritual realm is, what it looks like, what ghosts are, what our souls look like, the election, and what would happen if you compressed all the air in the world into a tiny ball. 😁
Hey, I think you'll probably not see either this message or the one I sent you privately, but IDK, perhaps one of them gives you a mail notification and the other doesn't. Anyway, I'd like to talk to you! Best regards, and may the Lord bless us.
Hey you canon-law-digging Madrasian, would you have any sources regarding divorce in the Oriental Orthodox tradition? I'm writing an article on religious divorce across Christianity, so it has to be something well-sourced, etc.